PDA

View Full Version : "Supercars" at Bellevue,WA (Seattle) All Camaros Show

CamarosRus
08-13-2001, 04:34 AM
On Sunday, Aug 12th Kevin and NWYenko(Jim) both were in attendance at the Pacific N.W. Camaro Club "All Camaros Show".....Kevin had his "new" 69 Nickey Z-28 L-88 which is a remarkable car.....a real time capsule from 30 years ago.....and as always Jim Hughes Yenko was drawing a crowd. Kevin at one point positoned his Nickey in front of a WA State patrol unmarked Camaro pursuit car with its lights all flashing.....quite a humorous site.....and then to hear that L-88 engine run and move about......My oh my!!!!I left before the awards were handed out, so I'll have to let Jim or Kevin come back with what they won in the way of awards.

SuperCars
08-13-2001, 02:25 PM
I guess I'll beat NWYenko Jim to the response here. Jim's 69 Yenko captured 1st place in the 69 stock category, Congrats. My 69 Nickey was invited to be in the special display with the Camaro Legends Tour Car group. So it wasn't entered for judging. If it were entered, it would've been in modified category and not in same category as Jim's though. Late in the afternoon just before awards presentations, they had Jim's Yenko, my Nickey and a 69 Big Block Pace car stage in front for a display they termed significant 69's. Then all 3 of us owners had to speak in front of the crowd with the microphone to give the history of our cars. The guy with the 69 Pace Car got up first and about the only thing he said was his car was a whole lot slower than the other 2 cars alongside him. Oh well, they were all excellent examples for 1969 in any event.

tom406
08-13-2001, 04:25 PM
Nice show, it was a beautiful day. More Hugger orange '69 Z28's than you could shake a stick at. Didn't see my old car there, though.

It was a pretty basic Hugger Orange Z, a Norwood car with the sequential VIN of 648505. I'm just curious as to what happened to it after the auction. Last time I saw it, it was going over the block at the Rick Shafer embezzlement auction here in Washington state in the mid 90's. Mr. Shafer bought the car from me using a portion of the 3 or 4 million dollars he boldly (and rather simply) took from a few clueless banks. I remember him giving tours of his "collection" to bank executives, before they realized where their money was going. Mr. Shafer had an eclectic mix of exotics, musclecars, half-assed street rods, and various kit cars. I share this story only to illuminate another side of the money/class/cars/hard work undercurrent that's hit a few of the threads. Mr. Shafer's story shows that not all money is hard earned, great sums of money are not always well spent, and fanatical car collecting will land you in trouble, or even jail, if your ambition outstrips your personal resources. (this includes not paying the IRS on your hard earned wealth!)

Thanks to all who share their cars and knowledge, and keep it fun for everyone.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-14-2001, 01:48 PM
Tom;
What can you tell us about Dave Simpson's collection that was auctioned off a couple of years ago in Chicago??
M

Mr70
08-14-2001, 06:15 PM
That Dana Mecum made alot of money off of those cars. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif

tom406
08-16-2001, 04:02 AM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Simpson auction. I am a little familiar with the Floyd Garrett sell-off a year or two ago. Floyd lost his last appeal with the IRS and they wanted something like $1.3 million, and they wanted it YESTERDAY. He quietly brokered off 30+ cars. He and the brokers might have underestimated the demand for his top-flight stuff. All but two of the cars sold word-of-mouth in like two days. At least three of the cars (big block Fords) came out to Seattle. Don't know if any others did. I think his IRS woes were preceded by a divorce, if I'm not mixing up my gossip.