PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Yenko Camaro Super Stocker -Garfinkel

JoeC
08-18-2001, 03:34 AM
Found this article on a 67 Yenko Camaro that ran in AHRA. It had two AFB 4BBL carbs, Doug's headers, traction bars by Jess Tyree, 4:88 gear, and a lift off 4 pin glass hood that looks like a stinger hood without the stinger. Has "Yenko S/S Camaro Dealers" on the door. Driver was Mike Garfinkel from Highland Parl IL. Mike was the 66 AHRA Super Stocker points champ in a Pontiac and had some sort of deal with Dick Harrell in 67. I believe AHRA allowed dealer built cars to run in their Super Stock class if 50 or more were built. NHRA rules were 50 factory built. Yenko did have a two 4BBl option listed for the 67 Yenko Camaro. Cool car. Looks like it was a 327 from the flags on the fender.

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/chevelleyenko/images/yenko67.jpg

Denis
08-18-2001, 03:48 AM
did the article state who owned it at the time?

Belair62
08-18-2001, 03:58 AM
I talked to Mike about this very car ! This is the same Mike Garfinkel who was a partner with the original owner of the funny car I have.This is the car he said he got thru Nickey Chevrolet in Chicago if I remember correctly.A Nickey/Yenko/Harrell car! I gave him the site address.Maybe he looks in. I will see if he can add a few notes to this post.I am going to try and hook up with him for one of the cruise nights around here.He is real involved in Chevy police option cars now .Check out www.9c1.com (http://www.9c1.com)

[Edited by Belair62 (08-17-2001 at 10:58 PM).]

Chevy454
08-18-2001, 04:08 AM
It was magic...either that, or the bulletin board code automatically makes URLs clickable...take your pick http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif.

Belair62
08-18-2001, 04:16 AM
How the heck did I make that a clickable post !!!!! By the way...the Pontiac he drove was the old Pete Seaton Swiss Cheese car...and the name of it was the Gray Ghost !!! He got that Pontiac flying back then.I f anyone has the Pete McCarthy Super Duty book,have a look.He is in there with the Superduty,same page as the Gray Ghost funny car.....

[Edited by Belair62 (08-17-2001 at 11:14 PM).]

[Edited by Belair62 (08-17-2001 at 11:16 PM).]

Belair62
08-18-2001, 04:18 AM
I wish the magic worked for posting pictures !

Mike Garfinkel
08-18-2001, 05:28 AM
I have been asked by Belair62 to come into this chatroom, To talk about the 1967 Nickey/Yenko Camaro, I raced with Dickie Harrell, in that year

bkhpah
08-18-2001, 12:38 PM
Jack
Do you know Jack Walker? He raced a Harrell/Gibb 427 Nova. We met him in Pittsburgh this winter..BKH

Belair62
08-18-2001, 02:23 PM
Thanks for dropping in Mike.How did the relationship with Nickey/Harrell/Yenko work ? Was the car ordered or built at Nickey ?

JoeC
08-18-2001, 06:58 PM
Welcome Mike Garfinkel. These pictures are from a magazine called "Drag Strip" August 1967. Do you remember what date the car was built? It may have been one of the first 427 Camaros. Did Bill Thomas from Anaheim CA. have anything to do with building it? Bill Thomas did his own fabrication and did work with Nickey and Harrell. What class did the car run in? I know it was a long time ago but anything you can remember would be interesting to post on this site. thanks
here is another photo from the magazine

http://members.aol.com/chevelleyenko/myhomepage/yenko67cd.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

Belair62
09-23-2001, 02:32 AM
Well Mike it looks like you finally got a break in the action...I saw you posted on another topic so I thought I would refresh this one and you can have a look at yourself in an old picture !!!

Bob G..
Niles,Illinois

68TopStock
09-23-2001, 05:07 AM
MikeG

Glad to hear from someone who was there. I am the owner of the Fred Gibb "Little Hoss", and have an interest in learning more about Dick Harrell and his associates racing efforts. I appreciate what you did then, and realize the activities of Dick Harrell, yourself and others, were far-reaching, with an incredible impact on Chevrolet Drag racing endeavors. I have been fortunate to have met and become aquainted with Mrs. Helen Gibb, her daughters, Herb Fox, and others involved in the Fred Gibb dealership racing efforts.

In regards to the above mentioned car, was this also the later known '67 Dick Harrell Camaro driven by Gene Dunlap? I have a pic of his car, when he raced in Jr. SS at the '71 IHRA Bristol SpringNationals. I am also interested in information about the hood on your '67 car, "Little Hoss" has the same hood, which was installed in October of 1967. Do you know if this was an A&A job, or another company? Bill Hielschler (Mr. Bardahl) also had this hood on his '67 427 SuperStocker.

Hope this is not testing your memory too much! I also have an interest in Dick's '67 Camaro Altered, which was built by Don Hardy. Do you remember much about this car? It was sponsored by Don Yenko, was it also sponsored by Nickey? Do you know if the '67 Nickey Camaro FunnyCar was of similar design? I have a "For Sale" ad for the Nickey FC dated 10/67, which indicates it was brand new. FYI, "Little Hoss" can be seen, along with info. regarding Fred Gibb Chevy at:
www.1967z28.com (http://www.1967z28.com)

Ken Boje