PDA

View Full Version : Island Dragway,Great Meadows N.J.

bowtie3168
08-22-2001, 07:44 PM
Island Dragway is very cool and it is a breath of fresh air in a complicated world!

Andrew http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-22-2001, 08:27 PM
Tell me how to get there!
M

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-22-2001, 11:35 PM
Marlin,
Very easy to get to.Coming from Pa. RT78 east to RT31 north to end turn right on RT46 east go approximate 5 miles,if you get to a place called Cannonballs
( Go Go bar) you went to far,back up and go to last street you went by , usually theres a small sign that says Island Dragway at the corner.Nice land mark.I wonder if the girls shake more because the track is so close,Hm.
<A HREF="http://WWW.islanddragway.com
or" TARGET=_blank>WWW.islanddragway.com
or</A> 908-637-6060 I don't know the # to Cannonballs or their web site or schedule of events if your wondering,but I guess I could find out.

K Pascoe
08-23-2001, 02:20 AM
Island Dragway is nothing like e-town is it Andrew?

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-23-2001, 05:29 AM
Went there a couple of weeks ago and had a great time,it's like going back in time to the days when things were much simpler.Not a lot of people and not commercialized . This track been left untouched by big outside influences.Fast cars and of course some gorgeous women,who would of thought all this and cheeseburgers in the middle of some small town.How many dragstrips still exist like this and what is the history of this track? I think the fences have the original date codes on them.

bowtie3168
08-23-2001, 02:53 PM
Ken,
You are right on the money with what you said. Island Dragway and Old Bridge Twsp. Raceway Park are on two opposite ends of the spectrum. A good friend of mine went up there for a nostalgia funny car meet and they had a good time. It is nice to have a mix of things so close together. New Jersey has had and still has a great auto racing heritage, we have Raceway Park, Island Dragway, Atco Dragway, Wall Stadium (stock car), New Egypt Speedway (stock car), and East Windsor Speedway (stock car, dirt). We have lost some tracks over the years Old Bridge Speedway, Flemington Speedway, and Trenton Speedway, but things are still good.

Andrew

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-24-2001, 01:00 AM
Andrew,
You know Jersey well,I'm curious,but did you grow up here and if you did what's the town you grew up in? I know Engishtown well I use to go there a lot in the 70's,great track,just has change from what I remenber it.I have a old time slip from Englishtown ,has the# with the old 201 area code.By the way I live 5 miles from Flemington Speedway,know the guy that bought the 71 Challenger track pace car from the owner of the track when it recently closed.Family didn't know it was sold until it was to late,he was the original owner.Drives it to shows with the original Flemington Speedway still on car.