PDA

View Full Version : Stahl tachs

bullitt
08-27-2001, 04:47 PM
Hey guys, how's it going. I was looking at some old pics of a B/M Chevelle and noticed that the tachometer was a Stahl. I know a lot of people used the Stewart Warners back then, but what about Stahl? The last S/W tach I saw went for $560 on Ebay. Anyone care to speculate about these other ones? Also, I ran into a guy in San Antonio who swears he has a Nickey Camaro. When I asked him if he was selling, he said "maybe." But he was kind of shady on the details. I might go back and check it out this Thursday. Any advice???

JoeC
08-27-2001, 04:57 PM
Was it a cable driven tach or electronic? Motion would install what the owner asked for.

sixtiesmuscle
08-27-2001, 10:47 PM
Re the "Nickey" Camaro. BE CAREFUL! Without iron clad original paperwork [good luck on finding that] the only way I know of verifying that a car was sold and/or built by Nickey is by having one of the people who actually worked on the cars inspect and certify the car. There are specific things they look for, but, the commonly known items are easily faked, such as Bill Thomas traction bars, and electric fuel pumps.
the first thing is to confirm that the car was actually sold by Nickey, which can be accomplished, although not easily, thru NICB, as discussed numerous times on this board. I am working with the former manager of the Hi Po Cars & Parts department at Nickey to convince him to offer an inspection & certification service for these cars. Anyone interested can contact me, or, we can discuss it at the reunion. Details should be worked out by then.

whitetop
08-28-2001, 05:39 AM
The Stahl tachs were cable driven. The Stahl and Moroso cable drive tachs were all made by Jones-Motrola (not Motorola) in Stamford Ct.(JoeC's stomping grounds). They also made a tach with their company logo on it. The company is still in business making tachs and gauges for industry but do not have the old style ones available. They can rebuild your old one. One word of caution. They cannot supply the old style bezel. I sent them a very nice Moroso tach to have the glass replaced-it was a little hazy. When I received it back it had a funky style bezel on it that took away the charm of the original. They can also make you a new cable but these are also "modernized" and are quite a bit different looking than the original with different shielding, etc. I have seen may Motion cars with both the Stahl & Moroso tachs. I think it went by customer preference or whatever was on the shelf.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (08-27-2001 at 12:39 PM).]

bullitt
08-28-2001, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I got around to calling the guy in San Antonio,yesterday. He pretty much admitted that it wasn't a bona-fide Nickey. When I asked why he put up such a stink the last time we talked, he came out with some lame excuse. Seems like there's a local guy who took him to issue on his Camaro. Anyways, I won't be wasting my time with that bum! On an other note, I ran into this webite called "musclecarevisited.com" They got old car ads, but in the Chevy part under 1969, he's got a scan of a Hot Rod advertiasment. It's for mail-order parts from Nickey Chevrolet. Just fill it out and let the parts come to your front doorstep. Ahhh, those were the days!!!