PDA

View Full Version : Demmer Tool & Die - SuperCar Builder

Chevy454
08-27-2001, 06:36 PM
Not a whole lot of info, but HERE (http://buickgsca.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000108.html) is a thread from the Pure Stock Drags forum (actually hosted on a Buick site) discussing the different indeavors(sp?) of Demmer T&D.

William
08-27-2001, 10:45 PM
No more info but a funny story related to me by an AMX collector. When Demmer built the 50 401 AMXs for Hurst they initially removed all the dash pads to install aftermarket gauges. AMX VIN tags were riveted to the dash pad; no one marked the cars. Many if not all of the pads were re-installed on the wrong cars. Very few of the 50 cars survived and none of the survivors VINs match the hidden VIN.

JoeC
08-28-2001, 05:26 AM
On page 10 of MCR Nov 2001 there is a small article about Demmer Tool & Die in Lansing Michigan finding the vin numbers of the 515 1968 Hurst Olds they built. This includes 3 convertibles. Great news for the Olds fans. I wonder what else they have. Demmer Tool & Die was a company that built body stamping dies and special machines for the Detroit auto industry. John Demmer was also a drag racer who raced a 66 442 called "the Rectifier". Demmer had a huge facility with a lot a fabrication equipment and was contracted by Hurst to build the Hurst Olds, the Hemi Darts and Barracudas, the AMC Super stocker, some of the Yenko Deuce Novas, and other cars. I guess some of the factories had Demmer do the short run production cars like the ones required by NHRA. I have a few old articles showing some of these cars being built. One article shows a guy picking up his new 68 Hemi Dart and behind him is about 50 more new Hemi Darts and Barracudas. Anyone have any more info on Demmer?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-29-2001, 09:43 PM
I wonder where the records are located for all of the other types of cars that were modified/built at Demmer? I would like to find some confirming paperwork on the '70 Yenko Novas that reportedly went there. Unfortunately, somebody could stumble across the paperwork and not know what it was for!
M