PDA

View Full Version : ZL-1 vs Clone At Gateway Dragstrip - Report

70 copo
09-03-2001, 01:04 PM
What started out as just a photo run for the spectators and the camera's of horsepower TV-turned out to be quite a race. Mark Hassett's ZL-1 #35 got some warm ups in on the parade lap with Mark getting into the throttle hard with the 4.88 ratio working the motor and the NOS wide Ovals to the limits. The ZL-1 clone owned and operated by hartbeat city also looked the part with a set of sticky street radials, 4.10 ratio and street exaust. At the launch both cars came out of the hole with decent reaction times but the Zl-1 clone developed a severe traction problem and seemed to spin almost past the first set of bleachers. Mark's car seemed to bog a little on the line in 1st but then stuck hard in 2nd and maintained something close to traction for the entire run. Later Mark Hassett told me that he let off considerably near the top as there was no need to stress the car. Result - Hassett original ZL-1 with 4 speed and 4.88 had an ET of 14.3. The Hartbeat ZL-1 Clone was a well done car with a 4.10 and an automatic- ran a very traction limited 15.9. Congrats to both cars for the run - it was spectacular!

Chevy454
09-04-2001, 03:22 PM
I was a few cars back of those 2, and am now wishing that I had gotten out and walked up to the line! I couldn't see Mark, but could see Jim (in the left lane?) getting pretty crossed up through a couple of gears at least. AWESOME!

Now, am I alone in this, or would anyone else like to see the racing portion of the Supercar Reunion grow? Maybe a day or evening track rental? I know we could use the track time to tune for the Pure Stock Drags which is usually a week or 2 after the Reunion, but would anyone else like some track time? Now, I understand that a LOT of the cars are really too nice to drive, or race for that matter, but would those of use with "drivers http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif" be interested? We have had a lot of interest from local car clubs about getting together on something, and I'm sure we could get some of them to the track. Any thoughts?

CamarosRus
09-04-2001, 04:18 PM
I was in the Supercar "pits" during the long waiting period and also sat with some of the none racing Supercar owners and friends.....I can tell you that some people were getting quite bored and impatient with the long lapses in action.....Only my honest observation......and I hope that future racing activity doesnt detract from the Reunion "SHOW"......which may I say was very impressive and enjoyed immensely by this "spectator".......Chuck/Seattle

COPO
09-04-2001, 06:25 PM
Rob, I think that would be a great idea. Could get a few more runs in and not have to wait for all the other classes or delays due to oil downs, etc. It sounded like the track rental was very reasonable. It's a great facility.

bowtie3168
09-04-2001, 07:21 PM
Mark is a wildman!

Chevy454
09-04-2001, 09:36 PM
Anyone who is somewhat familiar with racing will recognize that lapses in action due to breakage is just a chance you take, and something everyone has to live with. I was wanting more action as much as anyone, but we had to be worked into the program, and they had several cars break (which Bill Moran, track director, repeatedly apologized for).

So, unless we see a LOT of interest in this aspect of the Supercar Reunion, the racing portion of the show may remain "as is". Frank Radake, Jr. (his dad had the red Yenko Chevelle) just mentioned something about he and his friends renting it, so I was just trying to guage the interest in this part of the show. So, who REALLY wants to race (besides me!)!?

68TopStock
09-05-2001, 03:50 AM
Herb Fox and Lloyd Kirchoff, the first owner of Little Hoss (owned for 10 years, set 22 additional world records, still races) have family in St. Louis. I will be asking them to attend next years event. If there is time at the track, I'm sure both would like to take a few passes.

sYc
09-05-2001, 03:18 PM
I agree, it would have been better if we could have got another run or two, without a long wait, and we will see what we can do to solve this problem in the future, BUT, I would have sat there all night to see them make a pass. The history of the racing reads like a story book, Brian H. and Bill O. racing their Yenko and Motion powered Camaros in the first ever drag race at the first ever reunion, Ray M. in his original Gibb/Harrell Nova, Mark K. burning rubber all the way down the track in his '69 Camaro, Mark H. racing his ZL-1 at two events, a '69 Berger Camaro, Greg S. getting sideways in his '67 Yenko, Little Hoss with Herb driving, Capt. Carl's Zl-1, numerous other Yenko Camaros, Deuces, Corvairs and other cars. It does not get any better then that. In closing, I would like to thank all of the owners of supercars who have been kind enough to allow us the opportunity of a life time to see these cars in action. My hat is off to all of them. Tom

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-05-2001, 03:39 PM
Hassett beating up on the cloner,
M

http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/ZL1RACE.jpg