PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen fake Yenko Camaro

scottmoyer
09-08-2001, 03:18 PM
About 2 years ago, I came to this site and asked questions about the possibility of a 4th gen Yenko. I was told they don't exist. I don't remember the people I spoke with on the board, but they were the most knowledgable and old friends of Don Yenko. I was told there is no such car. The reason I asked was because I saw a car marked as a Yenko and had a dash plaque marked as #3 of whatever. I was asked to get pictures if I ever saw it again. I finally saw it again and I got pictures. The owner will not talk about this car in any way or show the engine. He must be as fake as the car! Enjoy the photos and give me some feedback.

www.users.uswest.net/~smoyer/yenko.htm

Mr70
09-08-2001, 11:04 PM
Car #3....
Was he claiming it was for Dale Earnhardt!

JoeC
09-09-2001, 01:13 AM
thanks for posting the pictures. I believe the last year for the Yenko Chevrolet Dealership was 1981. One thing very interesting about the car is the Minnesota tags. clickable link

http://www.users.qwest.net/~smoyer/yenko.htm

scottmoyer
09-09-2001, 02:12 AM
I am aware that 1981 was the last year. However, the fact that the dash plaque said #x of xx, made me wonder if somebody else did modifications under the Yenko name. I asked this person a few questions about the car 2 years ago and he wasn't very friendly about it. He said to look but don't touch and don't even bother to ask what's under the hood, then he walked away. Made me think maybe someone dropped a 427 in it!! Most people with a nice car are usually willing to talk about their car, especially if it is supposed to be rare and another person knows about it. 2 years ago, the thing that had me wondering was the fact that there was a dash plaque and the rims centercaps. Doing graphics isn't expensive, but to have custom caps made could be spendy! I just wish the guy was friendlier when I approached him.

mnyenko
09-09-2001, 05:51 AM
The owner of this car also has a 4th generation drag car that is a regular at B.I.R.He has a Yenko stripe kit modified on that car as well.It looks pretty good.He knows it has no real connection to Yenko.Earl

sYc
09-09-2001, 02:49 PM
Scott; Post era (1981) Yenkos have been turning up for the past several years. We get 1-2 emails a month from someone who has seen one. But, they are simply clones, replicas, look-a-likes or what ever word one wants to use. Even though the the Yenko family has been approached more then once about doing a "new" version, they have yet to agree to anything. Tom

Dave Rifkin
09-09-2001, 11:16 PM
I wonder if it was done by the same company that's done the 4th generation Berger Camaros. I personally don't care for the looks of that Yenko Camaro.
I've often wondered why Joel Rosen never did any 4th generation Camaros or any newer Corvettes. There is plenty of CARB certified speed equipment that he could use and I think a C4 Corvette would look really sharp with his signature stripe running down the side.

sYc
09-09-2001, 11:35 PM
No; the company that did the modifications for Berger on their "new" Camaro is not involved with any Yenko project. They have expressed interest in doing some, but will only do it with the blessings of the Yenkos. There is a company out there, made up of a few of Don's freinds, that has produced at least one "new Yenko" Camaro. At this time, that is the car's only connection to Yenko, the owners past friendship with Don. Tom

bowtie3168
09-10-2001, 01:32 PM
Scott,
In my experiences with people, I have found that the frauds usually thrive on mysteriousness. They do not have any real answers just BS. The owner of that car probably came up with the idea of making a bogus # badge to make the car seem more credible. "Don't even ask what is under the hood" ?????? Come on! I would have told him to take a hike. What a loser!
Andrew

DaveBonnell
09-17-2001, 04:36 AM
Oh my god that has to be the worst vinyl fake job I've ever seen! Yuck! Just let me say there are no real 4th gen yenkos running around like the guy said above. Besides the 2001 Berger SS, the closest your gonna come to legit GM modern supercars are the cars from SLP Engineering the Pontiac/SLP Firehawk and the Camaro SS.

Dave
95 Firehawk #237