PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen Camaro inside?

Fhakya
09-10-2001, 09:33 PM
I was just checking out some of the pic from the SCR4 and was wondering about this pic:
http://members.aol.com/chevelleyenko/images/insid36.jpg
Is that Orange Camaro a dealer mod or just a restored Z? Anyone have any info on that one?
Thanks,
-Mark Holman

COPO
09-10-2001, 10:01 PM
It was a 70 Z-28 w/the COPO rear spoiler. Beautiful restored car.

CamarosRus
09-11-2001, 04:10 AM
Car in question is owned by Phil Borris from Ohio who happens to be one of the 2nd gen Diamond judges for the WCA. I will let Phil speak on the COPO(3 piece) spoiler that was quite rare on a 1970 Z-28. I helped judge Phil's car on one occasion at the 1998 U.S.C.C. show in Niagra Falls,N.Y. It is without question one of the best(if not the best), most accurately restored 70 Z-28's in the country. Regards to all Chuck Sharin/Seattle

sixtiesmuscle
09-11-2001, 12:35 PM
This car certainly is very nice. Is the "COPO" spoiler what qualifies it to be considered a "Supercar", and , participate in the display? Nothing against the car or its owner. Just trying to figure out further clarification of the mission of the club.

70 copo
09-15-2001, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the kind words on the 70 Camaro! As the 1969 ZL-1 option was pushed through as a COPO to get around the approval laden RPO system,in order to dominate Drag racing, the spolier package for the 1970 Camaro was designed to allow the Camaro to continue to dominate SCCA Trans-AM. Vince piggins was involved from the start, after testing of the 1970 Camaro SCCA race cars with the standard issue short spoiler showed significant Lift at the rear of the Camaro at speeds in excess of 120MPH. Piggins got permission to "Borrow" the Firebird center section and had AO-Smith Corp tool up the individualized end caps. The result was significant. With the short spoiler there was 112 pounds of lift. With the new COPO High spoiler there was 168 pounds of down force- a critical 280 pound difference in a Camaro equipped for Trans-AM- A significant improvement for the Camaro in the areas of stability and cornering traction at speed.

A handfull of these cars were built in 1970, and included the chin spoiler as part of the package.

Was the Idea hatched by Piggins?

Was the option race inspired?

Is it a COPO?

Yes on all! The preservation and display of historically important Chevrolet vehicles is what SYC is really all about!

JoeC
09-15-2001, 12:56 PM
I have in my notes on COPO numbers " 9796 = 1970 Camaro Z28 new design spoilers made by AO Smith (Corvette fiberglass vendor)" not sure where I got it from probably a book or article.