PDA

View Full Version : Get That ZL-1 Corvette!

Mr70
09-19-2001, 11:05 PM
I recently acquired some Chevrolet inter organizational letters dealing with trying to obtain the Yellow 1969 ZL-1 Corvette in April of 1991.
It was impounded in Miami and was being brought to auction by the U.S. Marshals office.
Chevrolet was invited to submit a bid before the auction.If it was within 10% of the highest bid,then the car would go to Chevrolet first.If it was below 10%,then they could raise it if they like.
This is great reading material of many pages of text between 3 hi-ups who were stradegizing of what they needed to do and when.They keep stressing that if they do decide to go after this car,they should have it looked at by profesionals first.Seems all could not agree on its value.
They keep mentioning how the original documents are long since lost,but noone knows what "WE" have on the car.
Chevrolet says they wanted to obtain this ZL-1 Corvette as an Advertising tool as well as for it's collectability.
Chevrolet was aware of rumors of some "Corvette Freaks" willing to pay 500K on this car.
They flew in 2 experts down there and realized the Original block was highly questionable.They believe it to be a restamp in these letters.
They mention how the original owner,John Zagos,had obtained all the documents,but one of the owners after him managed to make photo copies of them before Zagos died.They are included in these leters.
I know Roger Judski owns this Corvette now in Fla.I guess Chevrolet wasn't interested even at the price it finally sold at.
These letters do include pictures of those original documents for the Chevrolet hi-ups to review.The cars VIN# is highly visible along with it's option codes and prices.
Thought I would share this.
Rick

[Edited by mr70 (09-19-2001 at 06:05 PM).]

Belair62
09-20-2001, 12:25 AM
Very interesting....I wonder what other documents they have in their possesion....

68TopStock
09-20-2001, 01:10 AM
Here is another piece of Chevrolet archival documentation, from the desk of Vince Piggins. This memo includes information regarding the SCCA TransAm cars of Don Yenko and Nickey Chevrolet. They were from the first batch of 1967 Z28's. I am suprised the #1 did not go to Don Yenko, it appears he was next in line! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

http://www.1967z28.com/tech-info/documentation/documentation.htm

68TopStock
09-20-2001, 01:26 AM
Sorry fellows,

Here is the correct address, I hope the link works. Look under "First 25".

www.1967z28.com/tech-info/Documentation/documentation.htm (http://www.1967z28.com/tech-info/Documentation/documentation.htm)
Ken Boje

Dan 68 Chevy II
09-26-2001, 02:00 AM
When I view these original Documents the first thing I notice was some had 3 digit codes next to the Dealer name.I first emailed the person who's web page this was to clarify the numbers next to Yenko Chevrolet and Nickey Chevrolet since they were hard to read.He emailed me back with and verified the number 900 next to Yenko Chevrolet.I was told that 898 was the Dealer Code for Yenko Chevrolet by a very reliable source.Could this be the only known Document showing a possible Shipping code used by the GM in 67 for Yenko Chevrolet?

Rowdy Rat
09-26-2001, 07:33 PM
Rick,

Interesting post...

Does it mention in your paperwork who the two people were that GM had look at the block? I work with guys in both NCRS and Bloomington Gold judging cars in the 1968-1972 model years. I'd be really curious as to who actually looked the car over.

Personally, I'm shocked that the car only sold for $300,000. Roger Judski really got the deal of the century on this one.

It would also be interesting to find out what the three GM suits meant by "...what we have on the car." Was it all encompassing in that they have information on a LOT of cars or if they meant this car specifically?

Have you given any thought to contacting these three people to find out what they meant? It could prove enlightening.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

Mr70
09-26-2001, 09:06 PM
Stan
Here are the Names on the Documents dated 3/15/91.
GM:
John Monk
R.J.Kramer
D.F.Sauceman
Jim Perkins or similiar name
Gene Uhl
Dick Lannen
J.W.Walker

Inspection team hired by GM on 11/20/99.
Inspectors:
Werner E.Meier
Bill Regar
J.Wayne Walker-previous owner

I was kicking around idea of pursuing this some more.
Note:I contacted the current owner in Fla.He did not seem very interested in any of this.Go figure?

Rowdy Rat
09-27-2001, 03:01 PM
Rick,

Thanks for posting the names!

To be honest, I've never heard of either Werner Meier or Bill Regar (although Werner Meier's name sounds familiar). Kind of odd though... I know a lot of people in the Corvette hobby and have never bumped into these two (I even made a few calls; nobody I talked to seem to know them either). Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but it just seems strange. Obviously, Wayne Walker was a good choice considering the he owned and restored the car; he'd be in a good position to determine if anything was changed.

I agree with your comments regarding the current owner not wanting to see the information that you discovered. Someone once said that you can never have too much documentation... I agree with that statement completely. As you said, go figure.

It might be interesting to make a few inquiries and see what you turn up. Dealing with upper management in a large company can be an effort in futility at times, but depending on what information might still be available, the payoff might be great.

Good luck Rick!

Regards,

Stan