PDA

View Full Version : MCR is DEAD

bkhpah
09-27-2001, 01:20 AM
I had not heard the news yet about MCR. But I knew it was a possiblity. I guess the new owners think Car Craft and Hot Rod are better mags. I can tell you that Shaw has a few cards up his sleeve. I can only hope that the next step in musclecar magazines will have his stamp on it...BKH

69sixpackbee
09-27-2001, 01:32 AM
Primedia finished it's buyout of EMAP
(Peterson) in August.

I guess they thought they must have had
the muscle car scene covered with all the
speciality titles the have.

Mopar Muscle will probally be next to
go since they have HP Mopar already.

I always enjoyed anything related to and
brand muscle car...

PxTx
09-27-2001, 01:48 AM
What Gives? I was invoiced for a two year subscription earlier this month. The check was sent on the 18th. If this was the last issue, why would they send out a bill for a new subscription they no longer offered? Everything I have clearly states that it is for MCR.

Paul Tholey

Steven J
09-27-2001, 02:08 AM
Not good to hear. I hope Tom Shaw, or someone, can come up with a musclecar specific magazine. What effect will this have on the Pure Stock and Factory Stock races ?

MikeA
09-27-2001, 02:17 AM
Wow! That is a real disappointment. MCR was a great magazine! Hopefully something will come along soon to take its place. I also recently renewed my subscription!

Mike

[Edited by MikeA (09-26-2001 at 09:17 PM).]

copo69
09-27-2001, 02:40 AM
I really hate to hear this as I've been a subscriber since the first "Classic Sixties" magazine. I can't say that it's a real surprise though as journalism in the hobby continues it's downward spiral.
I had just renewed a 2 yr subscription to "Drag Racing Monthly" when these same bastards killed it. I was forced to take the balance of my subscription in "Hot Rod"... no refund or being able to choose another magazine. At least the bastards let DRM publish a last issue.
Did MCR cover the Pure Stock Race? Also, wasn't MCR putting together a show in Georgia this November?

RN
09-27-2001, 04:03 AM
Damm that was my favorite mag!! There is no other mag that I know of dedicated to 60 and 70 Muscle cars! I am pissed!! Ron

Chevy454
09-27-2001, 04:11 AM
This shouldn't have ANY effect on the Pure Stock or Factory Stock races, other than no magazine coverage, and it's going to be hard to spread the word to those who haven't heard of the event. Bob/Dan still run the PSMCDR, and Brad runs the FSMCDR, it's just that Shaw had given them both pretty good coverage.

As if that isn't bad enough news, rumor has it that Speedvision has sold, and is just about to can most of it's older automotive based shows, and replace them with NASCAR! I heard this from the same people that were worried that MCR was in limbo, so it may prove to be prophetic...

fpcopo
09-27-2001, 04:31 AM
It figures! I wrote a 70's cruising article that was due to come out in the January issue and was working on an article for them on detailing L72 69 engines. Oh well, thats the way the mop flops. I hope Tom can come up with something for himself. It looked like the magazine was a one man show lately. If you read this Tom, I appreciated all you did for me. Thanks, Frank Payne

COPO PETE
09-27-2001, 11:12 AM
The big wigs canned the best magazine in the world today. Tom Shaw is out of a job! No more issues will be sent out! Your last issue is just that.....your last issue.. This has got to be one the the darkest days for musclecar people. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/mad.gif
Peter

[Edited by COPO PETE (09-27-2001 at 06:12 AM).]

Jeff H
09-27-2001, 12:36 PM
That really sucks. What's wrong with these people. How will the younger generation learn about these cars and what's correct without a magazine dedicated to them? If Speedvision drops its array of car shows to do nothing but Nascar, then I'm dropping Speedvision. And they say "change is good".

Rowdy Rat
09-27-2001, 01:20 PM
That really is disappointing.

MCR was the best magazine out there... Brian, I hope that you're right about Tom Shaw having some options available.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

JoeC
09-27-2001, 02:32 PM
I checked the business site. The big fish are eating the small fish. Primedia, Inc. is a huge media company with sales of $1.7 billion. In August 2001, they acquired emap usa (formerly known as Peterson Publishing) from EMAP plc. . Emap usa had 60 magazines including MCR.

PrimeMedia started that car web site that was supposed to be the greatest one on the net. I don't think it's that hot.

http://gr8ride.com/

[Edited by JoeC (09-27-2001 at 09:32 AM).]

Chevy454
09-27-2001, 02:40 PM
Here is a link to PRIMEDIA (http://www.primedia.com/index.html) , the new owner of EMAP, and the now defunct MCR. Looks like it might be time for everyone to start writing some emails...it may not help, but it might not hurt!

whitetop
09-27-2001, 03:33 PM
I'm going to miss MCR. Am I the only one that gets turned off by the increased level of profanity mags like Hot Rod and Car Craft have been using the last few years-something that MCR never had to use to get their point across. The language in many of the articles also have a sort of "juvenile/ghetto talk" to them .i.e. "cool dude etc" Sometimes I get the impression the majority of their readers are the ones with the baggy pants hanging down below their rears and driving around in a dirty '85 Cutlass with cheap steel mags only on the back with "No Fear"/Ain't Skeered" decals plastered on the windows. Let's also not forget the decal with the kid urinating on the Ford/Chevy/Mopar logo. I guess I'm now down to Super Chevy, Mustang Monthly and my old magazine collection.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (09-27-2001 at 10:33 AM).]

copo69
09-27-2001, 03:57 PM
Just sent this email to Primedia.

It has been posted on the internet that Primedia has discontinued "Muscle Car Review" magazine. I am very sorry if this is true. This is one magazine that I Iooked forward to receiving as it was well written and was the only magazine on the market devoted to this subject. While I assume it had a small circulation, I feel the readership base was very loyal. Demographically, I would think this group would be desirable both in age and income, very unlike the target audience where most of your other automotive magazines are aimed. Should this be true, I would like the balance of my subscription refunded as I have no interest in any of your other publications.

COPO PETE
09-27-2001, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the address Rob. Just sent my e-mail. Told them that I was personally asking car clubs far and wide to stop buying their publication. Their opening line on the site is a joke......"for every interest there is a publication"....... http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/crazy.gif
Peter

[Edited by COPO PETE (09-27-2001 at 11:09 AM).]

Chevy454
09-27-2001, 04:45 PM
OK, fellas, let's get somewhat organized on this. What email address(es) should we flood? Let's get this out on the net, and get their servers lighting up.

MadMike
09-27-2001, 07:56 PM
To make a long story (relatively) short:
Don't bother emailing primedia. They don't care.

Hopefully, the brains and sweat behind MCR will set up a website and carry on with their work in furthering the MuscleCar cause as they see fit.

If they do it right, people will patronize it. It might help spawn another iteration of MCR. This is called "voting with your feet".

To a degree, I did the same thing. I like 2nd generation camaros. That's all. I don't like reading about fake 1969 Z28's every month, or seeing another s-trim on a 4th gen. I don't give a toss. Yawn. Even most Camaro clubs I was in made me feel like an outcast. Low rent. I don't bother to bitch at magazines about featuring more 2nd gen camaros, or to clubs about publicizing the 2nd gen camaros - it was a waste of time.

So I took matters into my own hands and started <A HREF="http://www.nastyz28.com

Tom" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nastyz28.com

Tom</A> should do the same thing.

Sorry for being blunt, but rather than complaining, it's apparently time for real enthusiasts (folks like us) to take matters into our own hands. Heck, I'd be willing to help if I could lend a hand or if asked.

I'll leave it at that (for now) http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

MadMike
Dang UBB isn't parsing my reply properly.

[Edited by MadMike (09-27-2001 at 02:56 PM).]

Chevy454
09-27-2001, 11:04 PM
For those interested, here is the email address that people from other sites are using to "express" their displeasure with PRIMEDIA's decision: [email protected]

Belair62
09-28-2001, 12:05 AM
This is a crying shame. I sent my note in already.Thanks for posting. I hope Doug Marion can get the Buckeroo Publications going in this direction.Super Chevy is a joke. I agree with Whitetop.

bkhpah
09-28-2001, 12:58 AM
I sent off a rather straight forward letter to the MCR killers. I already do not like the "little buckeroo" effort. I hope Tom Shaw wipes the slate clean and starts up a non compromised Muscle Car magazine...BKH

Belair62
09-28-2001, 01:45 AM
Maybe Buckeroo has a new job opening for Tom Shaw....(hint Mr.Marion)

James Berry
09-28-2001, 10:10 PM
Well, I also sent them a nasty E-Mail, as well as getting this topic started on some other sights to generate more mail for them.

Joe, I think the Prime Media sight might be a good place to get my hot rod Honda some press.

Chevy454
09-29-2001, 05:44 AM
OK guys, here is a NEW email adress to send your complaints to: [email protected]

This info is taken from Ken Mild over at the Pure Stock site, as he had been trying to reach someone at PRIMEDIA on the phone. The above email address belongs to Doug Evans, and he is the "Group Publisher who handles MCR and the other mags in that group".

Also, for those of you who would like to complain on a more "personal" level, here is the phone # of Jerry Cole of PRIMEDIA: 212-448-4671

It probably wouldn't hurt to send emails to BOTH addresses (the one I just posted, and the one above).

WWJD
09-29-2001, 07:04 AM
Vented my disapproval. Maybe i can get my wife to set an old copy of MRC in our mail box every other month? http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

bullitt
09-30-2001, 01:55 PM
I've been away from the forum for a while, mostly work related, but I was dumbfounded when I read about MCR being canceled. "What the f***," I said. I'm of a younger generation, in my twenties, and MCR was my favorite magazine. I started reading it years ago, when I was looking for a new car. I happened into a gas station and found it hidden among the other junk mags. What a revelation! It opened my eyes to a world I knew existed, but never knew how wonderful it was. I was influenced into finally going after my first musclecar, a '70 Chevelle. I got every issue I could get my hands on. Here was a mag that was driven by the readers. No bashing of other makes and no b.s. I became hooked on Detroit iron and MCR was the "red carpet" that led me into the door and gave me a guided tour. I've had many subscriptions to mags like Car Craft, Hot Rod and other model specific ones. None of them came close to MCR and I believe they never will. My father would sometimes grab my issue and tell me great stories about his musclecar exploits. I think that owning old cars has brought us closer together, too. A lot of credit and a big "thank you" goes to the tireless efforts of Mr. Tom Shaw. The younger generation needs more than websites, we need something tangible, like MCR to hold in out greasy paws. I'm so mad right now, though. Just tell me who to knockout at Primedia and I will. I guess that I'm lucky that I haven't sent any money yet, for my renewal. I'd hate to be redirected to Hot Rod, which is only good for toliet paper. If anyone gets in contact with Tom Shaw, let him know that I'll do what I can to support a revival. You can push us down Primedia, but watch what we can do when we get up!--Bullitt

[Edited by bullitt (09-30-2001 at 08:55 AM).]

Belair62
10-01-2001, 08:10 PM
Got a form letter response to my complaint to PrimeMedia......pitiful

bkhpah
10-01-2001, 09:10 PM
I recieved the form letter as well, but I cannot open it. Can you tell me the meat of the letter Bob?..BKH

COPO PETE
10-01-2001, 09:27 PM
Brian, Got mine as well and could not open it. If you go to the Buick site, they have posted the response there. Pretty much just as expected! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif
Peter

Casey Marks
10-01-2001, 10:01 PM
So folks don't havta be-bop between sites, here's the *OFFICIAL* response from Primedia ..... http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/crazy.gif

Dear Sir or Madam,

I appreciate your recent email regarding the decision of Primedia to cease publication of Muscle Car Review. This was a very difficult move for me personally because I too I am a die hard muscle car fan and, in fact drive a restored Mach 1 daily. I was also Publisher of this magazine not too many years ago. Our senior management made this decision for a variety of reasons, which I will attempt to outline for you now.

The number one reason we will cease publishing MCR is that it has not made money for several years. There are really two reasons for this; dwindling advertising support and the state of newsstand distribution.

As you may know, advertising is a necessary portion of any consumer magazine that is published today. The fact is that advertiser support of MCR has been in a decline for several years and has shown no signs of an upturn. I can speculate about "why" this is, but would merely offer the obvious that Detroit isn't building any more of these cars and there are a limited number of them being restored. I have spent many an hour trying to figure out a way to expand the ad base in MCR without corrupting the editorial (i.e. more late model platforms). There simply was not a way to do it and preserve what everyone demanded which was a sixties and early seventies focus that was restoration based with little to no modifications.

The other major issue is newsstand distribution.

When I started in this business twenty years ago there were over 700 independent magazine wholesalers in the USA distributing approximately 2000 monthly magazines. Today, there are only 4 wholesalers distributing over 4000 magazines. Magazines used to be looked at by your local bookstore and grocery as a service to their customers. Today they are looked at as an important profit center and the number of copies that are sold are life or death to a magazine. Small niche titles have a very difficult time in this environment because your local food store would much rather sell People magazine, than another car title simply because of dollars and cents. Primedia spends enormous resources and time trying to combat this, but it is an ongoing problem, which is likely to get worse before it gets better. I get a number of letters from people every month asking why they have a hard time finding our magazines. This is the reason.

It is my hope that when the economic and newsstand climates become more reasonable, we will be able to produce MCR in some form, perhaps as an annual. Rest assured I am already working on such a scenario.

A number of you inquired about refunds as well as getting other Primedia magazines in place of MCR. All of those inquiries can be handled by calling
1-800-777-4370.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Doug Evans
VP Group Publisher
Performance and Motor Sports
Primedia, Inc.

tom406
10-01-2001, 11:05 PM
I'm disappointed as hell, but I can't really fault Mr. Evans' response. He states his facts plainly and clearly, and it all makes sense. I expected a much more generic corporate response. Its a tough market. Personally, I'd like to see a quarterly publication along the lines of The Rodder's Journal, with a $50/year sort of fee to minimize the dependency on advertising. An internet site is probably more doable, but even though I'm only 32, I still like to page through a good magazine.

Belair62
10-02-2001, 02:14 AM
Seems to me a rather flimsy reason. Take a look at how much advertising is in the last MCR. I guess all we will be seeing soon is 20" wheels and air bag suspensions.Young kids don't want to see real stuff.At least I know there will be a few boys still nto this stuff when they get old enough huh Marlin. I know mine is heading that way.My 4 year old walked up to me tonight with the last MCR and said it was a "tough" magazine !!!

bullitt
10-03-2001, 04:56 PM
Why didn't anyone say something before the axe fell? If MCR was having problems raising money, I'm sure all of us would have had an overwhelming influence on advertisers if we campainged for MCR, through their websites. I know that I would have paid double for my subscription, too! I would have gone to any car show that helped raise funds for MCR's continuation and donated my money. I think it's a poor performance by their management. They didn't do enough and won't admit it. They never gave us a chance to help MCR, either. Just because your dog gets sick, doesn't mean you shoot him. You take him to the vet first and get him some help.If someone's drowning, you throw them a life preserver. One stinkin'annual, maybe? What a poor excuse!--Bullitt

COPO PETE
10-03-2001, 10:42 PM
When Primedia signed the deal to purchase, they had a pen in one hand and a axe in the other. If this was not true they would have told the advertising dept. they had six months or a year to get there#'s up! They should have fired their advertising dept. NOT Tom Shaw. I personally too would have gone on a campaign to get more advertisers, but is'nt that why they pay that dept for? http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/mad.gif
Peter

COPO PETE
10-04-2001, 04:49 PM
Well, being not one to let some things go, I have been sending other e-mails to Doug Evans about MCR. He had a meeting with Tom Shaw yesterday and MCR is suppose to be a bi-annual as of this moment. This is better than a no-annual. I still am going to keep on him about his advertising dept. and let him know that I personally will contact some of the companies I deal with to urge them to support MCR. I mean paint companies, trailer companies, tow truck companies, GM High Performance, the list goes on and on. I don't think we should be bombing him with e-mails again or we will just get a form letter, but if you as a person are willing to do this and put an honest effort into it, it would'nt hurt to tell himn of your intentions. Twice a year is good, but 6 times is better.
Peter

[Edited by COPO PETE (10-04-2001 at 11:49 AM).]

Chevy454
10-05-2001, 05:07 AM
Well, finally...some good news! Or better news, at least. So, if they are talking about an annual or even a bi-annual like you said, then MCR still has some life?

How close (or far off) is the amount of advertising $$$? I'm just curious, if we could possibly recruit some new advertisers, or maybe the current advertisers would ante up a bit more if they knew the magazine was getting cut? I know it's easy for me to suggest this, as I am not in those advertisers shoes, but I would probably say this is probably the only source of magazine advertisement for some of those companies. Heck, I would pay a LOT more than what I currently pay for a subscription if that would help!

What does an ad in MCR cost...anyone?

bullitt
10-05-2001, 06:49 PM
Okay, here's another thing I don't understand. Why did they send out $20 renewal cards, if they suspected the end was near? I paid about $11 for the past two years, so this confuses me. Did they just not know or did they want to stick us with some other mag, so it could claim higher circulation to their advertisers? Man, if I ran a buisness like that, I'd be out on the street in no time.--Bullitt