PDA

View Full Version : ZL-1 Camaro #61 info for Public domain (or posterity?)

the_bowtie_gang
10-14-2001, 07:57 AM
While digging through a box of paperwork looking for more "goodies" I might have for Kevins' 68 Harrell Camaro, I came across some things I had put away on the #61 ZL-1 Camaro.

This was/is a ZL-1 that was shipped to "Seltzer Chevrolet" which was (at least in 1969) located in Yukon, Oklahoma.

I had ran a certified title search back 13-14 years or so ago and didn't really do anything with it.

While looking at this paperwork again in about 1990-91, I thought I'd track down the last registered owner. A letter was sent.

Long story short, he was then living in Hemit, CA. My letter ended up with a relative of his, and he (relative) had him call me.

Talking with him about the car, here's what I recall.....

Q: What condition is the car in?

A: Well, it's pretty much there.

Q: Is it nearly in "stock" or "original"
condition?

A: Oh no, it's pretty much a "full on" race car. Full roll cage, tubbed, etc. Firewall, floors, the whole nine yards.

Well that pretty much concluded it for me about THAT car. Of course... he COULD have just "saying" that to see if it put me off... nah, it's really a butchered up ex-race car I kept telling myself.

He asked me what I knew about it and said that I think had seen it raced around the Oklahoma City area when I was a kid. I told him that my brother took me to the races.

That discussion kind of goes along with the following part of the paperwork from the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

URL #1 is a copy of a receipt for a whopping $2500 where this car must have been sold as a bare shell of a race car. That's why it states "without engine, transmission, and rearend".

It had most likely been a race car (all its' life) and when these ex-racecars get sold (usually) they get sold pretty much stripped down i.e. less drivetrain.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=235416&a=13868759&p=55199123&Sequence=0&res=high

another...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=235416&a=13868759&p=55199208&Sequence=0&res=high

Why post this?

Well if this car gets placed on "the market", if this info is readily available, maybe it won't get advertised as the following... "extremely low miles (1/4 mile at a time!).. un-restored, blah, blah, blah".

[Edited by the_bowtie_gang (10-14-2001 at 02:57 AM).]

Charley Lillard
10-14-2001, 01:48 PM
Have you ever attempted to get the car ? Have you kept track of it ?

William
10-15-2001, 05:14 AM
Both Cunneen and I had done a title search on it in '82 and found the owner in OK, a name other than the ones shown here. Ed talked to him but wasn't able to get much info. The guy thought the car was originally white but wasn't sure.

Assuming it is still there, can you get body tag info?

the_bowtie_gang
10-15-2001, 06:22 AM
William,

The guy I spoke to (and person it was last titled to that I know) has a last name of Blehm, and was living in Hemit, CA (when he called me).

He was from Loyal, OK or at least lived there when he had the ZL-1 titled in OK.

I don't remember if he said if the car is still in Oklahoma or not, it's been 10 years since I spoke with him.

I kinda got the impression that he was living in CA due to a job but I'm not real sure. Maybe he's now a full time permanent resident and has no desire to go back to Oklahoma??!!.

I told him when I talked to him what color the car was, and what color interior it had originally.

I had read that in the COPO book, or from some "other" :) source (I can't remember). He acted like he sorta didn't know it had been a white car.

Charley,

No. After hearing him describe it (or at least being TOLD about it by him), I didn't even pursue it. Who knows, maybe that's his intention... to put people off.. don't really know.

My reason like I said, of posting this, is to possibly prevent the VIN plate and hidden numbers (if any remain) from accidentally "falling off" THIS car, and winding up on a mint low mile 6 cylinder body, and presented as a "mint low miles ZL-1 Camaro". Albeit minus original engine. But hey, maybe it might "magically" appear from a past owner... wink wink. (which actually MIGHT be true). Ya never know.

Unless you know how, you can't do a title search anymore, so future buyers can't back-track paperwork like once was possible and find out any of the "race car" history this thing had or might have had.

They might be told it's had a gentle life tucked away in a climate controlled garage.

[Edited by the_bowtie_gang (10-15-2001 at 01:22 AM).]

William
10-15-2001, 10:46 PM
That's the name I have in my 20-year old data. Since it was registered it seems to indicate it was on the street at some time in its history.

There was/is? another ZL-1 in OK that must be on an open title as it has been at the same non-extant address for many years.

#61 can never be a cherry, numbers-matching resto but it could be a neat nostalgia drag car.

COPO PETE
10-16-2001, 10:57 PM
I know I'd have some fun with it! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif
peter