PDA

View Full Version : Cruising Central in Phoenix Az on 10/13/01

68SS396
10-15-2001, 06:12 AM
Hey guys, here are a few pics of the cruise on Central Avenue here in Phx. The happens twice a year and this time had an even larger turnout than earlier in the year. You will see pics of Mark Fuss's 68 Harrell Nova in this set. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1790475&a=13868783&f=0

JoeC
10-15-2001, 04:39 PM
Thanks for posting. It is nice to see pics from shows or cruz nites. If everyone would post photos of shows and cruz nites from around the planet, then you don't need magazines and you can get the pictures in days instead of months. I'll still miss MCR but the internet is a lot faster and Speed Rules http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-15-2001, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the pics, I especially like seeing Fuss' Harrell Nova.
M

68SS396
10-15-2001, 07:47 PM
Thanks Guys I am trying to get more quality pics of Mark's Nova and have him send them in for maybe a monthly feature car on here. Ah maybe someday he will. haha. Thanks again the cruise was a blast, this was a very small fraction of the cars that showed. I also heard from many people that the cops gave out MANY warnings but not one ticket!

Dan 68 Chevy II
10-15-2001, 08:14 PM
68ss396,
Does Mark Fuss need more hp,I have a 4X4 Chevy Blazer show truck with a 454 in it.Comes with a 671 Weiand blower,2 750 double pumpers,vertex magneto,840 heads and more.Truck is located at the Arrowhead Lakes ,59th Av north of the 101 and Beardsley in Glendale Az.By the way nice show wish I was there for it.
Dan

William
10-15-2001, 11:04 PM
SS396:

I tracked our former ZL-1 to Scottsdale AZ, circa 1979. Owner at that time lived on N. 83rd st. Could not locate him or anyone that knew anything about ZL-1s sold there. Ours was a Gibb car. Got any stories/rumors/info?

68SS396
10-15-2001, 11:09 PM
William was this a Zl-1 Rally Sport? If it was the RS, that car is now owned by Craig Jackson of Barrett-Jackson fame. This is car #68 Cortez Silver and Black int. I believe, as it has been about 15 Years since I have seen the car. The only other ZL-1 I know of is now owned bya guy here in Gilbert area as well. I do not know what number car the person in Gilbert has but I can ask around.

William
10-16-2001, 01:01 AM
We bought the car in Idaho. A title search turned up the AZ registration. It is unlikely previous owners knew what it was. It was originally silver, then orange, black, red. At one time the engine bay was painted yellow. It was street driven until about 1985.

The silver ZL-1 you mentioned is probably #66, now in the McGroder collection. #68 spent much of its time in Indiana.

68SS396
10-16-2001, 01:27 AM
No William the Silver one I am referring to is definately number #68. It is one of only two that had Rally Sport equipment and I personally saw Craig Jackson driving it here on Central Ave. in the late 80's. He stated he just had the restoration completed and he was out enjoying it. I spoke to him about the car but he seemed like he was kinda too good to talk to us "little" people as that was how I percieved his attitude. He also brought it to a Super Chevy show here on the Sunday after the judging was completed and was kinda miffed at not winning any awards. He was overheard to say to a friend of his that " this will be the last time anyone here sees this car" I guess implying that he should have been given an award just for him showing up in it. I have not seen Pat McGroders ZL-1 but I do know he has many beautiful muscle cars in his museum and collection. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif

William
10-16-2001, 01:50 AM
#66 is silver. Sold new at Huffmans Chev in IL. Car Craft did a feature on the collection in 1995.

#68 was sold new in Indiana. Raced since new, it was well known in the area. Jackson brought it to AZ and restored it. I believe he bought it from the original owner.

Our ZL-1, #4, may have been re-invoiced from Gibb to Courtesy Chev in Phoenix. Gibb shipped it back to Norwood May, 1969. There was no history on it untill the 1979 registration transfer when the owner moved to Idaho. We were in contact with racers in the area; no one remembered them having any ZL-1s.

Dan 68 Chevy II
10-16-2001, 02:38 AM
Back in 1998 I was allowed to see the McGrober collection in person thru Ozzie Virgil who's a friend of mine.I do remenber a silver 69 COPO ZLI in one of two buildings where all his cars are kept.The whole place has cameras,barb wire and a front gate with intercom to get in.I was told McGrober was putting together some sort of place in Scottsdale so the public could see his cars on display.I can find out if anyones interested.