PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about possible

10-20-2001, 02:10 AM
Hi all, I hope maybe someone here can help with a few questions I have. I am the owner of a matching numbered, documented (2 build sheets, POP, title searches), Baltimore built '70 LS6 Chevelle coupe. The car is an early car, being built 12-9-69. On both build sheets are the words "pilot job 454 CI," along with "cc R S Pasternak." I have since tracked down the meaning of "cc," which is courtesy car. I was able to track down R S Pasternak (Ray Pasternak of Arizona), who was the Boston zones' service rep. in '70. He confirmed the cars status as a courtesy car, and related a rather lengthy, but interesting story about the car. He also mentioned it was the first '70 LS6 built (according to a telephone call he received from an employee at the plant, while awiting the delivery of the car in '69), however I'm looking for any documentation from within GM that verifies the "pilot" status of the car. Also anyone having info on the Baltimore plant itself. I was wondering if anyone here, might be of help. I will gladly post pics of the buildsheets, once I get a friends digital camera next week. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chevy454
10-24-2001, 03:31 AM
Come on guys! I KNOW some of you here know a thing or two about build sheets! How about some of you other LS-6 enthusiasts lurking here...I know you are watching http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif!

Would Jim Mattison possibly be of any help?

JoeC
10-24-2001, 09:52 AM
I mostly have 69 Chevelle info but if you post the build sheet I may be able to recognize some numbers. Did you try the Team Chevelle "Tag Team" ? the guys there are good. Another good source would be ex Chevy Eng. JohnZ who hangs out on Team Camaro. I may have his email here somewhere. I seem to remember something about "pilot cars" being early production cars that had additional inspection to check the assembly to the AIM.

10-24-2001, 10:14 AM
I am a regular poster on Team Chevelle, and have also posted on Team Camaro. I was hoping, since the COPO cars are harder to find info. on maybe someone here had some inside connections. The car is definitly something "special," I think, but exactly what remains something of a mystery. I've never seen another Chevelle/Camaro with the words "pilot job," so hard to figure out. I'll be posting either a pic of the sheets, or a link to them tonight. TIA
Greg

JoeC
10-24-2001, 10:48 AM
Greg, On team chevelle (awile ago) a guy had a build sheet with pilot build on it. I think it was a Heavy Chevy Chevelle? Maybe a search on it will turn up something.

Jim Mattison
10-24-2001, 12:29 PM
Greg,

I was in the Special Order Group (COPO) at Chevy, from 1968 thru 1971. Most of the pilot builds also came through our department. The time line for the build date of your LS6 Chevelle sounds like it "could" have been a pilot car. If you can give me some more information (possibly off-line), I'll do my best to help!

Jim Mattison
[email protected]

Chevy454
10-24-2001, 01:36 PM
Whao! Jim, thanks for stopping by again! Kind of wierd...I asked about you, then you appear! So, did you get a tip offline, were you just passing through and it's a mere coincidence, or are you a regular reader but part time poster?! Whatever it was, glad to have you back!

So, were the pilot cars treated as "normal" cars while going down the line, minus the extra inspection? Would they recieved any odd options or options that weren't used on any other cars?

Mr70
10-24-2001, 11:47 PM
I made friends with a man in Michigan who has a 1970 LS-6 Chevelle with a build date of 12/15/69.His buildsheet has typed under the RPO codes- Attn. E E Game-Chevy Engineering Center 30003 Van Dyke Warren Mich.
This car was built in Van nuys Calif.plant,Shipped to GM Engineering in Warren Mich.,and Charged to GM proving grounds in Mesa Az,as per the buildsheet.It is not a Customer ordered car.
His research from all the past owners in Michigan say it was a Car picked off the line at random,and tested by the engineers.They wanted to see how the new LS-6 was in testing.
Interesting that it was sent with its NA-9 EEC still intact,not taken off as were others that were shipped out of the state of Calif.were.

I have another friend in Michigan who has a 1970 LS-6 White Convertible with a build date of 12/15/69 (Yes Kevin,there is more then one).
Under his RPO codes it states:Attn W F Speer GM Proving Grounds Milford Mich
His is a Baltimore built LS-6,and charged to:Chevrolet Motor Div Engineering Center Warren Mich.
He believes his to be ONE of the FEW first LS-6 built Chevelle Convertibles out of Baltimore plant.His does not say Customer Ordered.
Both of these Chevelles are fairly well loaded.
Mr.Mattison do any of these name stand out to you as being someone you know?

[Edited by mr70 (10-24-2001 at 06:47 PM).]

Belair62
10-25-2001, 01:24 AM
Very interesting car you came across Greg. I read some MoPar magazines and it seems the MoPar folks have uncovered quite a few of the pilot cars over the years. Quite a find.

10-25-2001, 03:03 AM
Hi, I need to correct my original post to read...Mr. Pasternak received a call from the Balitmore plant informing him it would be a few extra weeks for his car to arrive, because it was the first one they had bulit, with that engine in it. I didn't mean to imply it was necessarily the first LS6 ever built, as there were magazine test cars, in Nov. '69. Thanks

Keith Tedford
10-25-2001, 05:45 AM
I've been through quite a few model changes in Oshawa over the years. When you have a whole new body style change, they build pilot jobs without VIN tags. Until the bodyshop tooling is tuned in the fits are not nearly good enough to sell to the public. Some of these vehicles spend a few years around the plant as yard trucks etc before being scrapped or given to schools.
On the other hand, a new engine is a straight bolt in and the very first one built could be shipped for public consumption. No doubt quite a few were built for durability testing, road tests and big bosses within the organization with the right pull. Just a little more insight into how things worked back then.