PDA

View Full Version : Phil Borris' 70 COPO Camaro

AutoInsane
12-05-2001, 02:44 PM
I saw this car on the list of cars at the 2001 Supercar Reunion. What exactly is a 70 COPO Camaro? I thought there were no factory 427's in 1970. I know that all Central Office Production Orders do not only pertain to the 427 engine option. Does COPO in this case mean some other options?

Could someone show me the light?

Chevy454
12-05-2001, 02:53 PM
I can't remember the number off hand, but Phil's is one of a few cars that came with the BIG rear Z-28 spoiler in '70, before they all had them in '71. GM used this as a loophole so they could run it on the track. Or something like that!

CamarosRus
12-05-2001, 06:08 PM
Phil will probably respond on his own......but if someone (else) knows how to do a search on this site.......shortly after this years reunion a thread was going on Phil's car and he already addressed the spoiler COPO issue.......at any rate Phils car is clearly one of the BEST restored 70 Z-28's anywhere!!!!!!.........Chuck Sharin/Seattle

Rat_Pack
12-05-2001, 06:19 PM
Autoinsane: the rear spoiler I believe was made by AO Smith Co to legalize it for Trans Am racing. This was COPO 9796 and it cost $36.90. This became RPO D80 in 1971 and when ordered on the Z/28 it replaced the std short rear spoiler...............RatPack...........

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-05-2001, 06:56 PM
Were there any COPO spoiler Camaros in '67? Not really a supercar qualifying COPO option, but pretty neat anyway.
M

AutoInsane
12-05-2001, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the info. I am amazed at what a resource of information you guys are.

It's almost scary. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif

Kurt S
12-06-2001, 01:28 PM
No factory installed spoilers on any 67 Camaro. First available in 68.

JoeC
12-06-2001, 01:57 PM
I believe the 1970 Z/28 COPO was for front and back spoilers because the 1970 Z/28 did not have a front spoiler and had a low back spoiler. The Trans Am racers needed better spoilers and they had to be stock Chevy parts and available from Chevy in order to make them legal for Trans Am racing. The 1970 COPO was another back door Chevy racing aid.

70 copo
12-06-2001, 10:17 PM
Hi guys, Thanks for the continued interest in the 70. Hey-caution about the non- supercar stuff... You might irritate a few other Yenko/COPO Canadian 350 Nova owners. (Big note: Yenko/COPO Nova used the same engine as the 70 Z-28)

I did a short historical story on just the spoilers previously- here is some extra detail on the car and its history.

My 1970 Camaro was purchased in July 1970 from Daily Chevrolet in Erie Pennsylvania. On the day of purchase the original owner śJoe” (An Ohio State Patrolman) was driving by in his 1968 Big Block Corvette, and the new 1970 Orange Camaro caught his eye. Joe stopped for a test drive and found the Camaro to be faster than his Corvette! A deal was struck and later that same day Joe drove the car off of the lot. This particular Camaro was strange though, as the car had a set of air dams on the front and the rear of the car- similar to the appearance of the 1970 Firebird. Joe knew he had a special car when the sales man told him the car had a special air dam package “for high speed racing purposes.

10 years later almost to the day-I saw the orange Camaro for the first time. I thought WOW what a nice 71! I began leaving notes on the windshield of the Camaro. Joe called me back. The car was for sale, and to my surprise it was a 70. I had never seen a 70 with the śbig” rear spoiler. A test drive was soon arranged. Since I was getting a test drive with an active duty Ohio State patrolman I promised to never tell what occurred on that test drive, what I can say is that the car was fast and felt safe even at over 120 mph.

The car was soon in my garage for the sum of $2650.00

I spent the next 10 years driving the 70 on nice days, occasionally racing the car, and constantly answering the question śthat is a 71 right”? I quickly tired of answering śIT IS A 70” and then having people tell me śit has the wrong spoiler”. A phone call to Chevrolet engineering in 1985 solved the mystery. Chevrolet confirmed that a limited number of 1970 CamaroĂs were made with the big spoiler, and the Vince Piggins was responsible for project- RPO COPO 9796 in 1970. The Spoilers-were needed by Ed Hall and team "Chapparral" to stabilize the rear of the new second generation SCCA Camaro racers at high speed. The smaller spoiler actually created "lift". The new big spoiler got the job done to the tune of over 160 ft pounds of needed downforce and thus was a "real" racing option for the 70 Camaro. The spoilers were done quickly on a COPO to by- pass the red tape. The Front spoiler was included to prevent Lift at the front thus adding the balance needed for the entire car. SCCA required equipment used in Trans-Am to be production based, and needed at least 1000 cars with the option prior to approval. Piggins tricked the SCCA into thinking the production was higher than it was and the spoiler was approved by SCCA for racing at Dallas in May of 70.

When I figured this all out, I decided to preserve my 70 as much as possible. In 1990 I decided to restore the car.

Over the next year no expense was spared in locating NOS parts. Where NOS parts could not be found I scoured salvage yards all over the Midwest. I then spent the next 6 years re-assembling the car. Each part was researched for proper finish prior to assembly right down to each nut and bolt. Many phone calls to retirees from the closed Norwood assembly plant proved invaluable in the restoration process.

The car was finished in 1997, and is currently used for display at national Camaro events. The car was awarded a Gold Spinner, and inducted into the prestigious Chevy Vettefest śShowcase” in 1997. In 1998 the car was judged in the stringent Certified Original class at the Camaro convention in Niagra Falls NY scoring a 97%, and is now shown at the SYC Reunion. The car is a current favorite when shown with its wheels removed to show the NOS Brake shoes, and Pads, and inspection marks. In the restoration attempted to capture and keep the carĂs condition as it would have appeared in the short period of time immediately after final assembly.

Thanks

Phil Borris