PDA

View Full Version : 70 L78 Camaros

Denis
12-06-2001, 08:22 PM
Mr. Insane:

Your link doesn't quite work. Here's a photo of the car. Click on it to bring up the page containing its description:

http://www.voloautomuseum.com/upimages/9850m.jpg (http://www.voloautomuseum.com/cgi-local/base/search.cgi?setup_file=show_pod.setup&session_file=&code=9850&submit_search=See+vehicle)

AutoInsane
12-06-2001, 09:47 PM
Of the 600 L78 Camaro's made in 1970 how many went off for engine transplants? Is there any number for how many survive?

See below for a link to one for sale at the Volo Auto Museum

Mr.Insane

[Edited by AutoInsane (12-06-2001 at 04:46 PM).]

[Edited by AutoInsane (12-06-2001 at 04:47 PM).]

Belair62
12-07-2001, 03:28 AM
Think Camarosrus may have took a quick look at this one....

CamarosRus
12-07-2001, 04:33 AM
The Volo "L-78" has many items incorrect in the photos, but without an inspection I wouldnt be able to tell if its one of the original 600 or an imposter....incorrect items 1) Z-28 stripes 2) Z-28 wheels 3) Open Element Air Cleaner (should be the very rare dual snorkel ala non-cowl LS-6 Chevelle) 4) Steering wheel 5) I'm going to say the front spoiler 6) missing SMOG system ......and whatever else I cant see thats not in photos.
Norwood 70 L-78's had L-78 on trim tag but no build sheet, whereas LA cars came with build sheet but no trim tag markings....so a LA car missing its build sheet and Original engine would be difficult to prove.....About the only unique items to the L-78 SS bodies would be the 6500redline/7000rpm MAX tach (Z-28 had 6500/8000 tach), also L-78 chassis used Z-28 subframe motor mount brkts(shorter) to accomodate the Aluminum Man, Holly Carb and Air Cleaner. Both the L-34 (1800+ built) and the L-78's had there taillight panel painted Black. This argument has been raised before but I'm in the camp claiming that NO Turbo 400 L-78 were made, even though the Turbo 400 code was shared with the Chevelle and Nova.......In closing I'm close to buying an original powertrain unrestored 70 L-78 for myself...but it deserves and needs restoration......Thanks, Chuck Sharin

Mr70
12-07-2001, 01:24 PM
I too believe all 1970 L-78's were manual trans.cars.No TH400.
I see many inconsistantcies in this oe.
Gee imagine that...Volo misrepresenting a car?
I wouldn't even waste the rubber wear on my tires to drive over there and look at this, or any other car they were advertising for sale. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/crazy.gif

Charley Lillard
12-07-2001, 02:37 PM
I'm gonna disagree with you two on the L78 T400 issue. One of our Club members has one and if I ever catch him at the right time I will get a good look at his build sheet. A good friend saw a copy of the build sheet at last months club meeting but I wasn't there. He is not the type of guy to make this up and he knows second gen Camaro's as well as most. He only likes second gen Camaro's and restores them himself and does a very nice job.

Mr70
12-07-2001, 03:54 PM
Charley
Please let us know what you find out.The Tonawanda records I have show all 600 1970 L-78 Camaros were Manual transmission.
But of course these are copies I got from our Chevelle Club,and I am not crediting them 100%.Just looking for more info on these rare ducks as well.

JoeC
12-07-2001, 04:10 PM
NHRA was looking for documentation on a 1970 L78 TH400 Camaro. They wanted to know if any were made to fit into one of the NHRA classifications.

CamarosRus
12-07-2001, 04:58 PM
On 8/19/99 I received an E-mail from NHRA's Jim Skelly. He is the Technical Communications Director at the Headquaters office in Calif. Brian Henderson had first been approached by Mr Kelly and bkh refered the issue to me.........regarding a certain (unnamed) competitor trying to race a Turbo 400 L-78 70 Camaro in Stock eliminator.Mr Kelly stated "The documentation NHRA received from GM in 1970 indicates the Camaro with this engine was ONLY available with a 4 speed . Nova and Chevelle got an automatic, but not the Camaro" Mr Kelly asked for me for help to come up with evidence to the contrary.......
I proceeded to do an informal survey on several web sites and through the old USCC. Nobody has ever been able to come up with an original build sheet, original car, dealer brochure, photos, original owner statements, etc, etc,. The people of Yenko.net are argueably the most knowledgeable Chevy musclecar historians anywhere.....Does anyone have any evidence other than an opinion.......Respectfully Chuck Sharin

COPO
12-07-2001, 10:21 PM
I have a '70 L-78 Camaro (4 spd.) and recall the discussion on other sites regarding the possibility of an auto '70 L-78 Camaro. The white RS car you are thinking about Charley was held up as a documented factory L-78 auto, however, when it came time to offer up the documentation, things got awefully quiet. I am not saying the car is not what it is claimed to be, just have yet to see evidence and the owner seemed reluctant to offer any when pressed. If it truely is legit, it would be one of one.

Charley Lillard
12-08-2001, 12:17 AM
Yes that is the same car. Since that discussion he brought his binder with him to our Camaro Club meeting a month ago. A friend looked at the binder and saw a copy of the build sheet along with paperwork on other cars of his. All he brings in the Binder is copys. My friend didn't know how I really want to see it and didn't scrutinize the sheet but he said it appeared to be as stated. He hasn't restored the car . Before he bought the car the color was changed to white. I can't see anybody faking a build sheet and then just painting a car white and not doing something like changing the trim tag. The owner and the car don't fit the usual Parameters of faking paperwork. This guy doesn't sell his cars he just accumulates them because he loves them. I haven't seen his build sheet with my eyes and I know it was not supposed to be built but I believe he has a real car. I will keep at trying to hook up with him to see the paperwork but our paths only cross at Camaro events.I have no vested interest in the car and I myself am interested and very curious about this whole issue. If it is not a real L78 Auto car I will be the first to let you know.

[Edited by Charley Lillard (12-07-2001 at 07:17 PM).]

COPO
12-08-2001, 12:43 AM
Charley, let us know what you learn. Would be quite a find if it could be documented. Curious of the engine code stamping assuming it has the original engine.

CamarosRus
12-08-2001, 07:49 AM
Arriving in Newark,N.J. Sunday AM to buy 70 Camaro L-78 and also possibly driving to Boston to check out parts CACHE.....do not have motel plans yet for Sunday night cause dont know where I'll be......anyway if youre inclined to show me your "stuff" or meet me ...PLEASE E-mail back your info ASAP as I'm flying out of Seattle Sat night 10:30.....probably wont check email after 7pm PST......see ya Chuck Sharin