PDA

View Full Version : Last Blast

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-18-2001, 06:04 PM
Took the Deuce out for one last blast through the gears before putting it away for the winter! Amazing what a weight and spring kit in the distributor does, rubber in all gears is fun - if gotta em, burn em!!
M

NWYENKO
12-31-2001, 03:40 PM
Marlin, what springs and weights did you use?? What did it give you for total timing? Are you using pump gas or racing fuel? I can tell I am not getting enough advance quick enough now and was planning on redoing the dist. this spring.

Belair62
12-31-2001, 08:34 PM
Marlin come on...wake up...everyone knows that car is a small block and not capable of the behavior you described.....unless you mistook it for a small block and its really a 427 ! Happy New Year

[Edited by Belair62 (12-31-2001 at 03:34 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-31-2001, 08:45 PM
Hey now!!
350, 427, whatever it takes to spin the tires is fine with me. I can't imagine what a '69 Yenko Nova is like, I've ridden in some '69 Yenko Camaros and they were plenty fast. I think you need to get one of these 'small block' streat beaters, and do some racing out there in Chi-town.

A trip to Maple Grove Raceway is planned for the spring, so that's why the carb is out getting redone. I'm hoping for 13.7's, we'll see.
M

Belair62
01-01-2002, 04:29 AM
I knew that would get you going !!!r !!!!!!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-01-2002, 05:26 AM
Jim;
I have no idea on the specs on the weights! I just bought the kit, put in the lightest springs, and weights and put it back together. I don't know how much timing I running yet, but I'm not worried since I'm running straight race fuel - Sunoco Purple, whatever octane that is; 108 or 112. I'm running 70 size jets in the primary, and 82's in the secondary's with a blocked power valve. I have the 'yellow' spring in the vacuum chamber. The orig. exhaust manifolds and full smog stuff is installed, including the heat riser valve and original style exhaust system - crinkle bends, orig. I.D. and twin resonators with single crossflow muffler.

I only changed the dist. stuff and the difference was remarkable. I could only get rubber in 1st when I dropped the clutch from 2k. Now, I can't keep the tires under it. I try rolling away from red lights and then gradually get on it, it still breaks them loose all the way through 1st gear. I'd like to burn 'em through 2nd gear, but I drag 1st out too long. I haven't tried a 2k sidestep yet, it fishtailed with that method before I changed the springs - so I'm afraid what it might do now! I'll wait till spring when I find a place to experiment with a lot of room.

I'm sending the carb out to get redone over the winter, then I'll set the valve lash again, time it better, and then http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif
M

Casey Marks
01-01-2002, 12:46 PM
Marlin,

Sounding more and more like a FINE candidate for the Pure Stock races ! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif

COPO
01-01-2002, 07:00 PM
I've heard both good and bad stories about Pertronix as well. Here's an alternative that a number of users on the Chevelle board have endorsed. http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

TC
01-01-2002, 07:32 PM
I'm not 100% sure it was Pertronix I installed in an LS6 for a customer a couple years ago....but it seems like that was the brand name.
It seemed to worked quite well,I also did some other tuning too...but the car had no problem burning the tires threw first and second gear,rolling at about 15-20 mph.....which wasn't possible before that.
Of course,I wasn't twisting it up like a Small block...either,so I'm not sure how it would act at 7 grand.
Maybe they had some,that were defective?

Chevy454
01-01-2002, 07:38 PM
We have been using the Pertronix units for several years, with mixed results. The original style worked very well, whereas the 2nd design was flawed from the beginning. When we contacted the company, they said they had some other complaints about the newer design, and were replacing all the newer units with the older design. Our local parts guy swapped out all the units he had on our shelf. I have heard there is an even newer design within the last year, but we haven't tried it yet. For now, points are what powers our Camaro into the 12s... http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

Unreal
01-01-2002, 09:44 PM
I've been told that you should replace the resistance coil wire (from the fuse box to the coil), with standard wire, because, with the resistance, you only get 6-8 volts to the coil. To keep it stock looking, you can get non-resistance braided fiberglass wire with the red thread, at an appliance parts house.
As for disguising the 2 wires to the distributor, I ran them though a long thin shrink tube, and separated them only at the coil. Unless you look really closely, you don't notice.

Mr70
01-01-2002, 10:44 PM
COPO
Is that I-Man?

COPO
01-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Yes, thats the infamous I-Man. I've heard he and Charley are buds. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

Rat_Pack
01-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Unreal, I was getting ready to suggest that. I never had a problem on my 69 Chevelle but my 68 Camaro I have not been getting the upper rpm performance I should. It is not hard to change out the wire on 69 GM cars but some 68 and earlier models you have a little more trouble as the wire continues under the dash to the switch. Just check a factory diagram for your specific car...............RatPack.............

Charley Lillard
01-02-2002, 12:00 AM
Yes we are best of friends, being that we both own ZL1's, we are part of the same Elite Family . He has more than me though.

Mr70
01-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Those were the days!
Tuning each night to see how far it would go.
When the Moderators of those websites would be hovering over there "Thread Closed" buttons.
Ahh....to be young again. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris396
01-02-2002, 01:19 AM
I had Dave do a distributor for me. I'll put it on my L78 when I put on the tripower Jerry Luck did for me. Should be a fun combination.

CamarosRus
01-02-2002, 05:06 AM
Marlin, Curious who youre sending your Carb to for restore/rebuild.....I had Jerry Luck do mine but as my car remains "as is" the carb is still in the box.......also who did your distributor, somebody well known like McNeish or a local to you???...at any rate its exciting to hear about your LT-1 engine as that of course is what we share in common with myself having the 70 Z-28.....
thanks, Chuck Sharin

CamarosRus
01-02-2002, 05:10 AM
Northwest Yenko (Jim) Curious who you would be using to redo your distributor and if anybody reading this has used the Pertronoix conversion with one wire showing (or whatever it takes to conceal the change) ....Anyway Jim I've heard that Mathewsons Automotive in Renton,WA has the knowhow and the old Sun Machine to modify your original distributor, but maybe you know a competent person closer to your area???.......Chuck Sharin

K Pascoe
01-02-2002, 05:19 AM
Chuck, We had nothing but problems with the pertronix setup. We had it in a customers L78 nova and the car was very lazy and it would breakup on us at higher rpm's. We installed a stock big block distributor in it and the car rips! The pertronix setup is sitting on my shelf in my shop. Just my .02 cents...... KP

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Chuck;
I did the distributor myself, and used the Mallory 'optical triggered spark' setup instead of the points - a buddy gave it to me, so I tried it. I don't know what it will do at high rpm's since I have only had it up to 5500, I'll let you know. If it breaks up, it comes out immediately and points go back in. I used a timing light with the dial on the back, set it up for 38 degrees total advance, and as long as it's all in by 2400 - 2600 rpm I didn't worry about how much was attributable to vacuum vs. mechanical advance. I checked the play on the shaft for 'bobble' and 'wobble' and stuck it in, it seems to work fine.

The carb will go to Jeff Dotterer of Dated Components for a rebuild, it ran fine but I did it myself and was not happy with my 'plating ability'. I also hope Jeff will trade me for a better date, mine is dated October of '69.
M

PxTx
01-03-2002, 08:45 PM
I am pretty sure Holley does restorations on their own carbs, has anyone used them? I though they had an inventory too, maybe give them a call Marlin?

Paul Tholey

Mr70
01-04-2002, 02:44 AM
Jeff Dotterer farms his carbs out.I think that is where he sends them to.

Steven J
01-04-2002, 04:24 PM
<A HREF="http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/Sales/CustShop/Rebuild.html

I</A>" TARGET=_blank>http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/Sales/CustShop/Rebuild.html

I</A></A> sent my carb to Holley and was happy with the service and appearance of the carb. The car is not finished, so I can't vouch for the operation of it yet.

[Edited by Steven J (01-04-2002 at 11:24 AM).]

L72COPO
01-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Paul and Marlin, I had Holley rebuild and re-color the carb off of my 67Z. When I sent it to them I did not realize that the base plate was incorrect. When the carb was installed and I couldn't get it to idle right I discovered the base plate problem. A NOS base plate was installed and it now idles perfectly. Curiosity got the best of me and I tore into the incorrect base plate and found that Holley did not install new throttle shaft bushings. I did not bother to contact Holley as 4 years had elapsed from rebuid to installation and figured that they wouldn't do anything (got it rebushed for $35 at a local carb shop). Just for grins reinstalled it to see if that was truely the problem and it worked perfect. Net results were a nice rebuild on the main body, recolor looks great but they totaly missed on the incorrect base plate (and I did to) and they should have replaced the bushings.

Don

jbsides
01-05-2002, 01:52 AM
I had my 4053 List Holley recolorized and gone through by C&J in Sante Fe Springs, CA. When I picked it up, I asked them, "what am I supposed to do with this, put it under glass on a pedestal?" The thing looked that good. Almost art of some kind, every piece part replaced. 'Course the cost ($566US) kind of warranted it, as some (a lot) of art is not that expensive. In their defense, I insisted they replace the base plate when they did not think it was necessary. I just didn't think the almost microscopic crack was going to go the long haul. That alone was 100 chunks.
One of my disributors is going over to Dave at (I don't have the clickable thing down)

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

for his magic this weekend. He has a warehouse in Nevada with some very interesting cars in it...

JB

Charley Lillard
01-05-2002, 03:08 AM
JB....Have you been to his warehouse in Nevada or did he just tell you about it. What does he say he has in it ?

jbsides
01-05-2002, 03:13 AM
Charley,

Please email me off line at [email protected]... I just don't have Dave's permission to post any data on his cars.

JB

Denis
01-05-2002, 09:30 PM
This is a pic of a grotty old 3910 carb I had restored by Jerry MacNeish:

http://www.67z28.net/images/jm_carb.jpg

He also restored my transmission, shifter, calipers, backing plates, horn relay, intake, booster, master cylinder, starter, distributor, exhaust manifolds, alternator, water pump, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

My distributor was restored by Jeff Dotterer and then re-restored by Jerry. If you've been following their feuding in Hemmings, that was my distributor Jerry was referring to a couple of months ago.

In any case, I recommend Jerry's restoration services.

SS427
01-05-2002, 10:17 PM
Paul, in answer to your question about Holley doing a restoration, I recently sent them a 4557 off an LS-6 that needed to be done concourse correct. According to our conversation, that was not a problem for them.

When I received the carb back (4 weeks late) it looked relatively correct. However, the choke cam was green and they didn't "save" my mint one. Likely used it for their own. Several screws were torx head and many of the plated items were plated incorrectly.

My biggest b!tch was when they took the small attached box with the fuel line, Y-block, studs and nuts, springs and cowl induction stud and plated everything cadmium! They also "lost" my cowl stud!!!! It took over a month to get an adjustment out of them.

Putting that all aside though, I thought it was done very nice for the cost I paid.

68TopStock
01-05-2002, 10:18 PM
Ditto

Jerry recurved the distributor for the crossram set-up, something my local racing experts had no idea of what to set for specs. He has also provided excellent advice, parts and service in helping me return "Little Hoss" to 1967/8 era condition.

I had a little mechanical trouble with my top end at the Fred Gibb Reunion this past August. He provided me with the fix, and part ordering info with a supplier in one 5 minute phone call. He treats his customers very well.

Chevy454
01-05-2002, 10:51 PM
After having someone else curve a couple of distibutors for us, I finally talked dad into picking up a distributor machine, since we are gonna need a couple more distributors done in the future. Should be interesting.

Charley Lillard
01-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Now we can all just send our Distributors to you ...Thanks :-)

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Good info on the carb and distributor restorers! I have been following the feud in Hemmings between Jeff and Jerry, seems kind of trivial to be arguing about each other's truck, but...

I spoke with Jeff, and he has not used Holley for quite some time. I have heard good things about his work, so I will try him. I have also heard good things about Jerry's work, so that's plan 'B'.
M