PDA

View Full Version : Wherabouts/story of 80's built Yenko Pro Streeter?

tom406
12-19-2001, 04:29 AM
I've been impressed by the sheer number of cars the guys on this board keep track of. I remember reading a Car Craft back in the mid to late 80's which had a small blurb on a car at one of the meets of that era. It was a '69 Camaro, fully tubbed and Pro Streeted, in full Yenko trim. The caption stated the car was REAL. The owner's justification was that he bought it from a divorcing couple and had to totally redo it anyway (seems the wife was going to get the car so the hubby beat it to a pulp with a crowbar or something). Anybody know this car, if the story's legit, and where it might be today?

Rat_Pack
12-19-2001, 12:54 PM
Tom I remember that car and article and I always wondered if it was a legit Yenko. I believe it was a Daytona Yellow car and the stripes that he put back on it did not say Yenko/SC on the quarters. However, for some reason I thought that car was originally an old drag car that he decided to keep that way. Somewhere around here is that article and I will look to see who the owner was if I can find it..........RatPack............

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-19-2001, 02:46 PM
Groundpounder???
M

bkhpah
12-19-2001, 02:49 PM
Maybe! ..BKH

William
12-19-2001, 10:56 PM
In the process of tracking the 26 Camaros originally sold in WI I contacted all the owners I could locate. One of the cars had the Pro Street look, 454/tunnel ram, 9" rear, painted some other color. I recall it showed eveidence of a hard hit on the RH side. Thought it was originally Rallye green.
This was around 1983 or so.

Sound familiar?

Stefano
12-21-2001, 06:24 AM
Rumor mill says that one such Yenko (ex- drag car converted to street use ) is located somewhere in the Chicago Suburbs and it may be comming up for sale.

Mr70
12-21-2001, 01:27 PM
Coming up for sale real soon. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

Rat_Pack
01-02-2002, 12:48 PM
I found the article I was thinking about and it was in Cars Illustrated in March 1987. The car was originally a drag car and was rusted out so the owner to the cheap way out and kept it as a drag car. The stripes were painted on and do not have the Yenko lettering on the 1/4's. There are not any emblems on the car (no pics of the tailpanel) so you cannot really identify it. The owners name was Michael Roberts of Mechanicsville VA. Anyone know if it was real? I cannot post pictures but can email them to someone that can................RatPack.................

MY70SS396
01-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Not sure of contact info. The cars is tubbed out and a street race car. On the gas, I have seen it run in the 8's in the quarter mile on street tires. I also herd it was a real Yenko car, but you know how the he said she said goes. I don't have any pics of it either. The last time I saw it it was yellow with some weird rainbow colored stripes on the side. Just my $2.
Mitchell

tom406
01-03-2002, 03:58 AM
Ugh, I'm going to have to go back through my "archives" I think. The one I remember definately had Yenko emblems and was a streeter, not a drag car. It sticks (burns?) in my mind because it didn't sound like it was tubbed before the "restoration". I'll update if I find it out there in the musty boxes of the garage....

MY70SS396
01-03-2002, 08:08 PM
This is the same car Rat Pack is speaking of I live near Mechanicsville in Richmond. This car is a regular at Super chevy in Dinwiddie, VA and Bristol, TN.

02-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Somebody was doing some "homework" way back in 2001 on this car...:) Anybody notice anything about my location and Mike's...hmmm..any recent post pertaining to Daytona Yellow Yenkos..hmmm http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif