PDA

View Full Version : MCR is back, sort of...

William
01-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Received notification that it has been merged with Hot Rod.

copo69
01-07-2002, 03:01 AM
I think that is just marketing crap.

Rainer
01-07-2002, 04:05 AM
That's just their indirect way of saying that you'll be getting HR for the remainder of your MCR subscription.

whitetop
01-17-2002, 10:56 PM
Just received a flyer in the mail from Popular Hotrodding magazine. On the front it said 2 free issues!. If you subscribe for $11.97 but don't like the first 2 issues they will give you your money back and you can keep the 2 issues for free. However if you keep the subsciption you do not in reality get 2 free issues as a normal subsciption to PHR is $11.97. What a scam. I think everyone should send in $11.97 and cancel their subsciption after the second issue. They are using the same publishing techniques as Publishers Clearing House.
I sure do miss MCR, Musclecar Classics, Guide to Musclecars, Musclecars, Musclecars of the 60's & '70's etc. We did not know 10 years ago how lucky we were.
Dave

whitetop
01-17-2002, 11:09 PM
While I'm on my soapbox another thing that irks me is Cameron Evans the editor of that piece of s--t rag PHR. Every article he writes in that mag or on the PHR TV show belittles people from the "Old School" who still run points ignition, carbs or drum brakes. The other mags do it to a degree but PHR leads the way. He thinks if you don't have a G-Machine your car is not worth crap.

[Edited by whitetop (01-17-2002 at 06:09 PM).]

bkhpah
01-18-2002, 02:14 AM
Don't sugar coat it Dave...BKH

Belair62
01-18-2002, 02:47 AM
Dave I'm going to send you a set of 20" wheels and tires to put on your car.You have to supply the 75k worth of Hotchkiss cr*p and jumbo sized brake rotors.You can call it a Day 7 car !!!!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-18-2002, 05:37 AM
Does anyone know what the new magazine is like that is being brought out by the NMCA? I think they are trying to bridge the gap between the old MCR and their group. Supposed to be a quarterly to start, is Shaw involved?
M

Charley Lillard
01-18-2002, 05:38 AM
Come out West and I'll take you for a ride in a G Machine and you will see what Cameron Raves about.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Yo,Yo,Yo,
Send me the 20's for my Deuce, already slid the carbon fiber hood on it, Jonesin the monster whale tail so I can get some lat-g's!! Juice pumpers are on the way, be hittin the switches with the hommies in the season...
peace

whitetop
01-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Charley
I don't have all negative feelings about G- machines and realize todays technology is far superior to that of the past. What gets me is Evan's attitude that if you do not have the latest brakes/suspension/fuel injection etc you are an idiot for not doing so-and means it. His attitude is G-machines or nothing.
I actually think 17 and 18" and 20" wheels look good on some cars, even musclecars. At the same time many musclecars classic looks have been ruined by 20 inchers and they look like crap.
Dave

AutoInsane
01-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Ummmm...pardon my nescience...but what exactaly is a 'G-Machine'? And if Charley has one I bet I would want one too........

(we must be a wee bit behind the times here on the east coast http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif)

Camaroinaz
01-18-2002, 04:19 PM
A G-Machine is one of the new Pro-Touring type cars that have become popular over the past two years or so. Chaarley definitely has two of the best ones. They were both built by Mark Stielow (sp). One is the Red Witch, the other is Thrasher. Both have been covered in numerous magazines. They were built to compete in the one lap of America race. Drive from one race track (road race, drag race, etc.) to the other, race, and then go on to the next track. They are truly awesome cars. Fully tuned suspension, built small blocks, and a blast to drive (I can imagine). Next question is, when do you get hold of Mark's latest creation Charley?

L72
01-18-2002, 04:30 PM
I have to agree with Charlie,nothings better than chasing and passing M3's,2000s,or similar in a 3600 lb chevelle on track day,you get so much intrest from the "import guys" it brings everybody together,isn't that the idea? And when does someone have so much knowlege,that they don't need more? They have tons of great info that applies to all auto's in PHR. Just 2 more cents....

Belair62
01-18-2002, 10:31 PM
It's just another avenue.Is there a big following Clill ?

AutoInsane
01-19-2002, 05:32 AM
OK...now my interest has been piqued. Here is a link to Pro Touring G Machines:

<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pro-touring.com/

</A> (my sincerest apologies the the purists out there...but cant we like anything with an engine and wheels?)

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-19-2002, 05:44 AM
even a Yugo??

Fhakya
01-19-2002, 09:57 PM
The one saving grace of the new trend is that the additions made to many of these cars are completely reversible (Brakes,rims,tires,swaybars,control arms etc..). Which is a far better trend than the bondo'd on Whale tails/fender flares of the '70's or the butcher job pro street trend of the 80/90's. If you're going to drive it for pleasure VS nostalgia, it's a fun way to go.

-Mark

[Edited by Fhakya (01-19-2002 at 04:57 PM).]