PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Scuncio COPO

Rat_Pack
01-30-2002, 03:38 PM
Okay guys there have been a few posts concerning an original Scuncio COPO. For the past couple of weeks I have been in contact with a guy that supposedly does have an original Scuncio COPO. The story he has relayed to me is this car has 10,000 original miles and is a drag car/show car. It no longer has the original drivetrain but does have a 427 engine it now. The car is an original X44 big block car with all the correct stuff for a COPO on it. I know these can be changed. However he has been in contact with Bob Johnson and so far the car is what he says it is. He is in the process of getting ready to sell it after getting other proof of its history.

He will not allow me to give out anything as far as the vin goes, but the trim tag is stamped the following:

711 10 10
05A X44

The vin is very close to the one on Ebay, and I knew about this car before the one on Ebay showed up. If you are interested in this car email me and I will put you in contact with the owner. The price on this car is $55k as it sits...................RatPack....................

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-30-2002, 03:56 PM
This isn't the car that Bob Harris restored several years ago is it??
M

Rat_Pack
01-30-2002, 04:14 PM
Don't know, he never mentioned it being a restored car. From his descriptoin it is more of a street machine, no tubs or anything like that. He is sending some pictures later this week. Can update then.

Do you know who owns the car that you are talking about?...........RatPack....................

Rat_Pack
01-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Just talked to the owner and I asked him if this car was restored by Bob Harris, he said no and he does not know who he is. He is not one who keeps up with who does restorations. The engine is a 427 with aluminum heads. This is definitely not a project car. He has traced the history all the back to the original owner and the car did come from Scuncio. He has so far gotten a phone verification of its origins as a COPO. Will have more towards the end of the week hopefully............RatPack......

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-30-2002, 08:46 PM
Rat;
I don't know who Harris sold that car to, but I remember it being a 10 10 car, 10k miles, and orig. from Scuncio.
M

William
01-31-2002, 12:19 AM
I have w/s, pop & body brodcast copies for N647907, a black COPO from Scuncio.

They charged $12.65 for the paint.

Rat_Pack
01-31-2002, 02:20 AM
Marlin, was that car a drag car that Bob did?

William, not the same car but the vins are close................RatPack............

SuperCars
01-31-2002, 03:25 AM
Ratpack, thanks for keeping us informed. I'm just bewildered by all these COPO's that keep popping up. I haven't seen them in person so I don't know the degree of restoring or correcting that some of these cars need, so I hope my input isn't taken wrong

I do know what the costs are to have cars restored though. Between the numerous Supercars, Vettes and Hemi cars I've had restored, I've experienced the cash flow drain doing them. I have 3 cars in process of restoration at this time. I feel any car that needs more than minor detailing and good cleaning is a project. It might not be a basketcase, but still a project that consumes money. When various COPO's don't have the original drivetrain, I think Uh-Oh; are we talking:
Correct casting and dated 427 motor-$8,000
BE rear-$3,500 if you can find one
499 distributor-$600 restored
4296 carburetor-$500 restored
curve neck radiator-$700 restored
Muncie 4 speed-$1,500 restored
These items could be just a start. Then the actual restoration of a Camaro without having to re-buy these rare parts is approximately $35-40,000. So add buying a correct drivetrain and maybe you hit $50,000 more into the car. I haven't seen a excellent restored COPO top $70,000 in sales yet. Has anyone else?

Still doesn't mean the buyer of a running driving COPO has to do a complete frame-off. He could do a frame-on cosmetic restoration at a lot less money; but then you end up with a car that is worth a lot less that people would say needs re-restored.

The COPO on eBay right now has a lot needed. At the current bid of $30K, it is my opinion that the buyer will go backwards on this car
because it will exceed $40,000 to do it right. At $55K for this Scuncio, a buyer could not afford to have it restored. He could do some cosmetics, but he would always have a COPO that people would think as a poor quality car that needs to be re-restored. But these are only my opinions.

SuperCars
01-31-2002, 05:06 AM
$55K as it sits......I don't understand why some owners put prices on project COPO's close to or more than, prices/sales of completely restored, correct drivetrain, documented COPO's??? Maybe the word "sits" is a description of it's future.

bkhpah
01-31-2002, 12:02 PM
The Reggie COPO just sold for 73,500 and I have been told by all the looked at the car it was a tired older restoration. So 70K into a fresh correct restoration at todays prices would be a bargain...BKH

Rat_Pack
01-31-2002, 12:25 PM
I agree with Supercars that a person would have a lot tied up in having to a complete restoration on either of these two cars. That is if this one needs it. From what he tells me this thing is basically like it was when it was new, even better, and has been used as a drag car without ever being cut up. He promised me some pictures of it so hopefully I can get a better idea of the condition.

You are right about these COPO's starting to pop up everywhere. I have come across more supercars and COPO's that have never been "found" in the past 8 months than I have in the past two years. However the one thing is that there have not been too many Motion cars surface compared to the others..............RatPack...............

sixtiesmuscle
01-31-2002, 02:49 PM
The last time prices of Yenkos & COPOs [not to mention Hemis] got to the levels we are seeing now, many formerly undiscovered cars appeared as well. Kinda makes sense. People see what the good ones sell for, and, think their old beater can be sold for big bucks too. After all, "it only needs a good detail, and some TLC", or "just paint", or something like that.
The cost of a PROPER restoration has become so costly AND time consuming, that, I agree, it's easy to get upside down on a project that , when completed, is nothing really "special".

Stefano
01-31-2002, 02:59 PM
SixtiesMuscle,
It seems that whenever I take on a project to bring a car to the next level it always cost me more than finding one done currently to that level.
The only advantage I usually gain is knowing that the work was done My way.

BEAUMONTBILL
01-31-2002, 07:28 PM
the scuncio copo that bob harris owned and restored was sold about five years ago. the car went overseas to newzealand where it still resides. your memory is correct marlin, the car had 9800 miles on it and lots of paperwork.

[Edited by BEAUMONTBILL (01-31-2002 at 02:28 PM).]

sixtiesmuscle
01-31-2002, 09:47 PM
By the way, on the Reggie COPO that sold at B-J, don't forget to add 8%. That puts it close to 80K, and, it was NOT fresh.

Ray Dupont
02-07-2002, 01:44 AM
Hey guys,Ive been on this site a couple times,its cool.Just thought Id let you know that I own this black Scuncio COPO. It does have the correct radiator,heater box,steering wheel,etc. I have owned this car for twenty years.If any one wants more info Email [email protected] or call 919 304-6903 after 6pm.
The car is verified.

Rat_Pack
02-07-2002, 06:43 PM
Ray, welcome aboard! I got the pictures today and the car looks great! That black paint is slick. Glad you got the car verified, even though you did not need to as you had the history to the car. Hey Whitetop you would enjoy this car, it is day two all the way! Even has orange painted brake drums!..............RatPack...................

whitetop
02-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Hey Ratpack
Can you post some pics or email them to me?. Thanks in advance.
Dave

Rat_Pack
02-08-2002, 01:54 AM
They are on the way to you. Have no way of posting them but maybe you can.............RatPack.............

Ray Dupont
02-08-2002, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, I can Email some pictures, Just let me know your Email adress and if you can download a zip file. Could post some on this site if you tell me how. The car is located in North Carolina.Ray

Denis
02-08-2002, 05:25 AM
See photos of Ray's car in the next posting below.

[Edited by Denis (02-08-2002 at 12:25 AM).]

Denis
02-08-2002, 05:26 AM
http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/Rays44.jpg

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/100-0050_IMG.jpg

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/100-0053_IMG.jpg

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/100-0054_IMG.jpg

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/100-0058_IMG.jpg

copo69
02-08-2002, 01:02 PM
Really neat car... I think down deep this was the way they were meant to be.

JoeC
02-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures. Cool looking car. I see they exchanged the power disk brakes for manual drum brakes but it retains the PDB pedal. This was a common modification back in the day on drag cars.

Ray Dupont
02-08-2002, 09:25 PM
The story I got from the original owner as well as others is that he bought the car at Scuncio after he got tired of waiting for the ZL1.Then sent the car to Speedwin Auto in LongIsland,N.Y.,to be prept to run in B/MP,spent about 8k there.Bored the motor 1/8over, stroked,Aluminum heads,IR tunnelram with two 1050 dominators.They did susp. work,put on drum brakes because they are lighter and you can back off the bakeshoe so there is no drag.Put in a roll bar,and 2 electric fuel pumps and I am sure they did more than what he told me.He said he got the car to run a best of 9.90@ Englishtown N.J.I didnt think to ask why he sold the car with only 2k miles on it. Ray

69motion
02-09-2002, 02:08 PM
awesome car black is a great color j

BM71vega
02-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Cool cars,the car steel in that condition Ray

Ray Dupont
02-09-2002, 08:55 PM
These pictures, exept for the track photo,were taken about six months ago. Ray