PDA

View Full Version : Senate Bill 1766

moparts
02-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Senator Tome Daschle (D-SD) and Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) are pushing Senate Bill 1766 onto the senate floor for a vote in Feb. Sec. 803 of the Energy Policy Act of 2002 (S. 1766) would direct the U.S. Department of Energy to provide funding to states so they can offer cash incentives for motorists to scrap vehicles that ar 15 years old or older. The legislation would also provide credits for the purchase of newer, more fuel-efficient vehicles.
We must inudate all of the Senators by encouraging everyone to immediately write, fax, or call their Senators. Request that they immediately remove this section from the bill. We need to let the Senate know that this bill affects the livelihood of many. If this bill passes it will affect anyone in the business of repairing or selling autos and parts.

Sample letter

The Honorable XXXXXXXXXXXX
U.S. Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510

RE: Strike Sec. 803 of SB 1766
Dear Senator:

My livelihood comes from the repair and maintenance of vehicles and I am writing today to seek your support in removing Sec. 803, Assistance for State Programs to Retire Fuel-Inefficient Motor Vehicles, from the Energy Policy Act of 2002 (S.1766)

The bill proposes to pay motorists with federal tax dollars to scrap their older cars for a new, fuel-efficient car. I am concerned that this proposed program will have a negative effect on the automotive aftermarket. I cannot support something that proposes to use my tax dallars to consequently work against me. The result of this could even put me out of business.

Vote to strike Sec. 803 of the Energy Policy of 2002 (SB1766).
Thank you.

Sorry for using the board for this info-mercial but this is a toppic that will affect us all eventually.

William
02-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Where have you been?

California was doing this over 10 years ago. Some of the big oil companies were in violation of environmental standards so the state allowed them credit for every pre-'71 car they bought & crushed. The car had to be titled in CA and in running condition; $700 no matter how it looked. Some car mags stationed people at the sites. Hot Rod bought a 1-owner '67 Camaro there and turned it into the "Crusher Camaro" project car. First thing they did was check its emissions. With a few adjustments it passed.

Not that most Californians cared. I used to go to So Cal a couple times a year in the '80s to pick in the yards. There were never many Camaros but countless other rust-free '60s-'70s 2-door Chevs. Not wrecks either; most of them were tired but intact.

I'm sure this program trashed thousands of rust-free collectible cars.

moparts
02-01-2002, 04:31 PM
Where have I been?

Excuse me for worring about something that would affect by business. I wasn't thinking about or worring about if there would be any good deals to be found.

Oil companies paying the bill is a little different that my own tax money putting me out of business.

whitetop
02-01-2002, 08:08 PM
The laws I am more concerned about are the private property land use laws that are exploding acros the country. Many states are trying to get laws passed that you will not be able to restore or dismantle your collector car even in your garage with the door closed and no one can see it.

However, that being said, the people that keep 30 junk cars and parts all strewn about in their backyard and it look like h*ll and hurts the neighbors property value should be fined and have to get the place cleaned up. I'm ready for the irate emails over this.
Dave

Belair62
02-01-2002, 08:48 PM
In your garage or on your property should be sacred ground.My own town will not allow a "junk car" in the driveway visible from the street.I've had to move a "junk" car into the garage after a warning ! They even send beautification people out and warn you if you let your grass grow too high.Idon't live in a golf course community either but an old suburb of Chicago which has a heavy elderly population now.I hate to think they can fine older folks just because they don't cut their grass enough.

tom406
02-02-2002, 02:45 AM
I'll side with whitetop on this. In my garage is my own damn business, but all over my yard is my neighbor's business, too. I hate looking at the little abandoned auto lots around my community, and the practice only fuels the fire of these control bills.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-02-2002, 05:55 AM
Many states have proposed these types of 'clunker laws' over the years, but most realized their ineffectiveness at actually cleaning up the air and dismissed them.

These proposals are something that the oil/energy companies are trying to 'buy' into federal law so that they don't have to clean up their production practices. They buy the cars from goodwill agencies, who solicit you to donate your car to them so you can take the tax writeoff at the federal value in the 'donation' book!!!

So, if you donate your old car to an non-profit agency thinking it will be used for a good cause, think again - they simply sell it to the oil companies to raise a little cash. Ironic?
M