PDA

View Full Version : 68 chevelle dealer built cars

Joe Y
02-23-2002, 12:44 PM
First of all, hello all, I'm a member of Team Chevelle who is currently very interested in Yenkos along with other dealer built cars. I currently have a 68 malibu. I'm also 24 so I really can't afford to buy a 69 COPO car.

Anyway, I'm interested in building a Yenko chevelle clone. I know clones are generally frowned upon but imitation is the biggest form of flattery right?

The only 68 chevelle dealer built supercar I know of is a Dick Harrell built car. I've talked to another Team Cheveller about some emblems off a 68 Elky in Texas, however the guy wanted $400 for some weathered, pitted emblems. The car is in a junkyard and he won't sell it whole either.

So my other choice is to build a "prototype" 68 Yenko chevelle. I'm not looking to build it 100% correct (obviously if I'm starting out with the wrong year), but would like to make it close to correct with some updated options (12" disk brake tall spindle conversion, 5 speed, tubular control arms, polygraphite bushings, etc.). I'm also toying with the idea of a cowl hood and hood tach ala 70 yenko duece.

I'm scheduling in my 68 to have body work done next year. I might decide to sell it instead and buy a 69 to start off with, who knows.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear your comments and if you are going to bring your 69 Yenko Chevelle to the big meet this September, I might be asking your permission to take a lot photos.

Oh and I've already started my Yenko parts collection:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1807031913

JoeC
02-24-2002, 04:27 PM
As you know there was no 68 Yenko Chevelle but Harrell, Motion, and Nickey did some 68 Chevelles.

Joe Y
02-24-2002, 07:45 PM
There is a Dick Harrell built elky in Texas.

I don't know much about the car since I got the info second hand.

COPO
02-24-2002, 09:03 PM
I did some chasing on the elky in Texas a few months ago. It had fenders w/Harrel emblems, but the fenders were off another car. An NICB search on the elky VIN was a dead end as it was not sold by Gibb, or Bill Allen Chev.

Charley Lillard
02-25-2002, 05:03 AM
What exactly are you saying the Elky in the Wrecking yard is ?