PDA

View Full Version : question: best way to exchange money/title?

Rick
02-16-2002, 07:37 PM
I'm buying a car from pictures and having the car shipped.
What is the best way to exchange money and title??

T Billigen
02-16-2002, 08:01 PM
This is not the best way to buy a car! I have done it three times and have been pretty lucky. You never really know what you get until it arrives, pictures sometimes lie and so do the seller! I found the best thing to do is wire the money to the sellers account and have him overnight the title and other info to you before the car is picked up for delivery, who ever you have picking the car up call you and give an honest assement of condition of car. You could also overnight cashiers check to the person picking the car up and let him hand over the money after he looks at the car over to make sure you are getting what you have paided for. I know one thing, you will be a nervous wreck until you see the car yourself and hope you don't say " I paided how much for this?)

Denis
02-16-2002, 08:04 PM
You could ask the driver to exchange the money for the keys and paperwork once the car is safely loaded for transport.

BUIZILLA
02-16-2002, 09:05 PM
I recently used Passport Transportation to handle a transaction, and it went very smooth. Send the seller a 10% deposit. Send Passport the remaining 90% in a Cashiers Check that the driver hands the owner at pick up time. The driver communicates with the buyer by cellphone all the details, verifying the sellers info/discrepancies. Only when the buyer says release the check, is the deal consumated. The driver is always on the buyers side. I am using them to do another deal for me next week in the same manner. They charge an additional $50 for this service. I think it's worth it.

Jim

SUPERSPORT
02-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Rick,
The best way to protect both parties in a transaction, is to use an escrow service as a type of mediator. The escrow service will act on your behalf and would in your case, hold the title for the vehicle, and also hold the funds. Once you have received the vehicle and you are satisfied, you then notify the mediator that the transaction was successful. The title is then released to you, and the funds to the seller. Find an escrow service by using any search engine on the internet and type in "ESCROW SERVICES."
Good Luck!

T Billigen
02-17-2002, 03:58 AM
I think that "escrow service" is a great idea!

mc25t190
02-17-2002, 12:26 PM
if you can go see the car, its worth the plane ticket depending on how much you are spending, in these days i'm sure its a lot. i bought one over the phone and the seller always misses or fails to tell you something on purpose or not. i also had a car sold and the buyer had a transporter that didn't understand a concourse restoration and turned me down on a car he later found out he should have looked at himself. the car was a 2 time national show winner with a senior badge. the transporter hardly looked at the undercarriage or under the hood all he lokked at was the paint and picked the car apart. we all know what paint jobs looked like in the muscle car years. your eyes see everything differently than everyone else unless you have a restoration person look at it that really knows what needs to be done.

Rick
02-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'm not to worried about the condition of the car since
it's really a project car needing a fully restoration. In the pictures I've seen what I was most interested in is there.
If I was laying out big money I would invest in a plane ticket, or a long drive.

Thanks again, Rick