PDA

View Full Version : RS Copo for Sale?

CopoCrunkus
02-19-2002, 02:56 AM
I found this ad From Future Classics, They claim it to be an RS (1 of 12) Also they claim to have the title history and Protecto Plate. Has anyone checked into this Car?
http://www.futureclassicsnj.com/carlistframe.htm (bottom Right)

68l30
02-19-2002, 03:06 AM
Oh boy,here we go again...........

Steve

CopoCrunkus
02-19-2002, 03:18 AM
Sorry Steve http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif

69L89396
02-19-2002, 03:28 AM
Is this car for real?

Kurt S
02-19-2002, 04:42 AM
The car was just for sale in GA.
Ed supposedly verified it.

68l30
02-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Nice to hear this ones real then.

Steve

COPO PETE
02-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Car is pretty by the pictures. If it's real, it's quite a car! How do they come up with 1 of 12? There was a least 6 that came to Canada alone!
Peter

Stefano
02-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Does any one know the asking price?

CopoCrunkus
02-19-2002, 01:51 PM
I emailed them Yesterday to see what they were asking, I will post when I get a reply.

-Frank

Jeff H
02-19-2002, 03:32 PM
I think that's the car that was for sale on Traderonline.com for $69K about a month or 2 ago. So figure on the price being at least that or higher.

Belair62
02-19-2002, 10:33 PM
You know I looked at Futures website and it looks like they are putting more accurate descriptions on the cars. He has some pretty cool cars to look at.Maybe he is changing directions in his practices.

DA427
02-19-2002, 10:40 PM
I have been wondering how many Copo RS's there are also! I believe I have one. It is not documented though. It is black on black. I would think there are more than 12 RS's. Anyone know of anymore? This is a great site!

watk69
02-19-2002, 10:53 PM
"Oh boy,here we go again..........."

Steve and others,

Does that mean caveot emptor with this seller's cars? Interested only because I see a Z he has that I'd like to look at. Plane tix are pretty expensive from AZ to NJ. Any info would sure be of some help.
Thanks in advance........

Clif

68l30
02-20-2002, 02:06 AM
Clif,I would say buyer beware.Documentation is a must,look at the car,numbers,dates,history,do your homework.A plane ticket is still cheaper than the wrong car.The cars may very well be legit,but given the amount of clones for sale,it throws a lot of red flags at you...

Steve

Jeff H
02-20-2002, 02:53 AM
Yeah, documentation is good, but if it's bogus documentation like the Orange L89 convertible then it doesn't help. It's really getting hard to keep track of the real cars with real documentation and just because Reggie Jackson might have owned a car, it doesn't mean it's real.

Stefano
02-20-2002, 03:10 AM
Reggie,other volume collectors ,their buyers, as well as dealers,have made their fair share of mistakes. Anyone can be susceptible to fraud, especially when you deal in high volume.
This forum however, has saved quite a few people both time and $$$$'s.

[Edited by Stefano (02-19-2002 at 10:10 PM).]

Stefano
02-20-2002, 03:11 AM
[Edited by Stefano (02-19-2002 at 10:11 PM).]

Rowdy Rat
02-20-2002, 04:21 AM
There was a car very similar to this one that was sold by a local (York, PA) gentleman maybe six or seven years ago.

RS COPO... Orange with white interior... THM 400. I don't believe it was a 9737 car or had spoilers though. Brian (bkhpah) looked at the car and is much better qualified to answer that than I am. I know that the car we looked at did not have an engine (and hadn't had one in quite some time).

I'm curious if this might be the same car? I doubt that there are many orange/white RS COPOs out there. Anyone know the history on the car that is advertised?

Regards,

Stan Falenski

69L89396
02-20-2002, 04:49 AM
There was 1 RS ZL1 Camaro. Anyone know where this car is and does it still have the orginal engine?

Rat_Pack
02-20-2002, 11:52 AM
There were actually two RS ZL-1's, one Lemans Blue which I believe just sold recently, and the other was a Cortez Silver car with the the black DX1 stripes. The later car was owned by Craig Jackson at one time, I think he still owns it but not sure if either have their original motors...................RatPack...........

JoeC
02-20-2002, 01:35 PM
I came across an ad for the L89 conv

1969 CHEVY CAMARO L89 CONVERTIBLE, 396/375HP, aluminum heads, 4 spd, matching #'s, ps, pdl, pdb, chambered exh, Hugger Orange, white int & top, Protector-Plhttp://photos.bargainnews.com/900-AA80.JPG
ate, ultra low mi, collector's car, call Future Classics, 1140 Rte 88, Lakewood, NJ (10XI) (732) 370-8800 . New Jersey

http://photos.bargainnews.com/900-AA80.JPG

DjD
02-20-2002, 04:15 PM
The guy that placed this ad ( www.cars-on-line.com/68chev5581.html (http://www.cars-on-line.com/68chev5581.html) ) has been fighting them for over a year. The names have changed but it's the same pile of stink.... There must be some truth in "birds of a feather flock together"

Dennis

Rat_Pack
02-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Jeff, the bad thing is that these guys know if a car is bogus or not from the time they take it in on trade or consignment. They skirt around the truth by saying "it is supposed to be or from what we have researched" etc. The Nickey clone they had for sale was advertised the same way until it got bashed on this site. They finally succumbed to changing their description of the car and called it a "clone".

There are other dealers out there that get around some of the legalities of properly advertising a car for sale. The best one is "numbers matching drivetrain", do the numbers match the vin, Yes, then it is numbers matching. However, this does not mean it is the "original" drivetrain, only that the numbers match.................RatPack................

TimG
02-20-2002, 09:38 PM
Today, you have to ask the "engine" question different ways, all the answers must be right and then you need to check stampings, broach marks, casting dates and casting numbers. Here is what I ask.
Is it the original engine? Has it been decked? Has it been restamped?
Matching numbers does not mean it is an original, unrestamped engine. It could be the original restamped engine, or it could be a replacement engine that is stamped to look correct. I don't think people would want to pay top dollar for this type of "matching numbers" car. There is usually a way to tell a "hammered" motor, I have a pad library of different pad tracings that is always in my wallet. I carry a scope to enlarge the broach marks to see if they cross at all, they shoud be parallel and never cross each other or overlap. I have most all numbers referenced to tell what a "3" or a "9" should look like for a specific year. Do your homework and ask questions. Follow the paper trail and owner history. Past owners will rarely lie.
If you do your homework, you should be able to bust a fake.

watk69
02-20-2002, 11:46 PM
This one has to be my favorite that I've seen the last few days:

"1969 CHEVROLET CAMARO , Excellent condition numbers matching Z28. New paint and interior really gives this Z a new car feel. This Z runs and drives excellent and is just minor detailing away from being a top-notch car. This vehicle has been verified as a complete numbers matching vehicle with the exception of the car has the wrong date code. This vehicle has a fresh paint finish with no flaws.www.worldwidemusclecars.com"

The car has the wrong date code, that makes it a real collectible.

Clif

[Edited by watk69 (02-20-2002 at 06:46 PM).]

MattBek
02-21-2002, 04:01 AM
Which Z were you interested in Clif? I just went to F***** Classics last week looking at the camaros. They had alot from 1969.

Jeff H
02-21-2002, 05:06 AM
JoeC, notice how it now has a protect-o-plate and it never did before! It's a well built car, but it's a clone. Why can't people be honest and present their car for what it really is. Nothing against Future Classics because if the car was misrepresented to them, they wouldn't know. But dealers need to do some homework, isn't that what they're making a commission for?

Jeff H
02-21-2002, 12:21 PM
To most of these classic car dealers, "number's matching" means it has an engine in it! There are a bunch of these guys that call a car a #'s matching Z28 because it has an 010 block in it. Gee, they only used that casting for 10+ years. You have to ask plain and simple, "is the VIN on the engine the same as the car?" If they hesitate, move on to another car.

watk69
02-21-2002, 04:18 PM
"Which Z were you interested in Clif? I just went to F***** Classics last week looking at the camaros. They had alot from 1969"

The above member is a shill for the dealer in question on this topic. Got an immediate email reply from them after this message was posted about a car I was interested in. I am new here, not trying to stir the pot. FYI only and interesting on how things work in this crazy hobby.

MattBek
02-21-2002, 07:03 PM
"The above member is a shill for the dealer in question on this topic."

^This is what I get for offering to help with information about some cars?^
What did I say that makes me a shill??? I was going to say how the cars looked. The reasons I did not buy any. Maybe saved you a trip. I thought this board was for enthusiasts to help each other out. I never replied to any email. Think first before you start making accusations on the board.

[Edited by MattBek (02-21-2002 at 02:03 PM).]

watk69
02-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Ok I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but it sure seemed strange the timing of an email from Future on the exact car I emailed you about privately last night. peace brother

Clif

CopoCrunkus
02-21-2002, 08:11 PM
I received an Email Stating that they are asking $83,900 For the RS COPO.

-Frank

Jeff H
02-21-2002, 11:19 PM
You mean the one that was for sale on Traderonline.com for $69K? Nice markup for doing nothing. I'm still waiting for the Black COPO sold in NY to show up on their site for $75K or more that they paid below $40K for. I'm really getting sick of these guys grabbing all the good cars and not giving the little guy a chance at them. If it's not the same car I stand corrected but how many Orange RS COPOs like that are out there?

Charley Lillard
02-22-2002, 01:29 AM
Jeff....It is a Free market...If they bought a car they can ask whatever they want for it. Prices have jumped lately.

shor
02-22-2002, 02:10 AM
Jeff, they did step up to the plate and buy the car. Since the car was advertised on cartraderonline any one of us had the same opportunity to buy it. As for"nice markup for doing nothing"; they are taking the chance on this vehicle and betting on what they can get in the near future. I believe it was a good "bet" based on what I have seen over the last two months. (not trying to pick on you jeff, just calling it how I see it)

Stefano
02-22-2002, 03:21 AM
Most all classic car autions (of course
private party transactions)are open to anyone with the financial means to be registerd as a bidder. Most of the major auctions also provide on the spot credit as well.

Jeff H
02-22-2002, 12:59 PM
I guess my point is that there are a lot of enthusiasts that would love to own one of these cars at a respectible price without the intention of just turning around and selling it for a big profit. I know that I'm not in the financial position to show up at someone's door wtih $35K in cash in a briefcase(I'm happy to be able to make my mortgage payment this month), but I would have been willing to take a loan against my 401K if the owner had gotten back to me.