PDA

View Full Version : 67 6 cylinder COPO??

JChlupsa
03-08-2002, 01:43 AM
How bout it folks seems the Camaro White book on page 8 shows a engine suffix code as FB for a 250ci COPO 9627. Would this be the one that 1967 panther has come across that the owner states came from the factory with a 4 barrel. This if fact would mean not all COPO's would be supercars

[Edited by HawaiianCamaro (03-07-2002 at 08:43 PM).]

68l30
03-08-2002, 01:53 AM
Fact or not,not all COPOs were supercars.I would guess very few were supercars,most were fleet orders or special paint requests,ect.......

Steve

Stefano
03-08-2002, 04:12 AM
I would agree that a very small percentage of Central Office Production Ordered cars were Super Cars.

JChlupsa
03-08-2002, 05:12 AM
Ok help me out here folks, I was under the impression that just the fact that the COPO Engines gave it the status. So COPO could be anything and everything as far as the factory cares. Just happens that the COPO codes for the Zl1 and YENKO's etc are the more sought after ones> Sorry to bore you all but Though I'm 46 Yrs old im still wet behind the ears on camaros and am like a sponge soaking up all the info i can.
Mahalo
(thanks)

JoeC
03-08-2002, 11:26 AM
The COPO system was just a way to purchase a special vehicle or special parts that were not available using the RPO system. The "Chevrolet Fleet & Special Order Department" built many types of vehicles but the High Performance 427 cars get most of the attention. "COPO" became a buzz word in auto magazines mostly used to describe the factory built 1969 427 Chevelles and Camaros. There were many other COPO cars and trucks built in addition to the 1969 427 cars. Don Yenko is the King of the hi po COPOs using the Chevrolet Fleet & Special Order Department to purchase over 600 high performance COPO cars through his little Chevy dealership in PA. He did hi po Corvairs, Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, and Vegas.

JChlupsa
03-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Mahalo (thanks) I try to learn something new everyday and guess this was that something. Again Thanks.

Jeff H
03-11-2002, 02:29 AM
Or you could use that COPO pickup to haul your Supercar to shows! I'll be looking for a good tow vehicle when my JL8 is finished and I need to take it to shows outside my area. I'm not expecting to get good gas mileage running the crossram setup! I have heard that there was a 6 cyl JL8 Camaro built as well. I know it's not a COPO, but still an odd combination. The other JL8 Z28 car I had 3 years ago and still in the same shop as my car had evidence of being a tow vehicle with wiring for trailer lights and holes for the hitch! Imagine towing your motorcyle or boat with a JL8!

Yenko Bart
03-11-2002, 05:25 AM
Just an interesting fact to let you know that COPO is not dead, That is if you know how to do it. A friend of mine who is employed by GM gave me a # when I was ordering a new 1/2 ton chevy pickup. This # equips the truck with the setup of our state police caprices. More HP, different trans., larger exhaust, and larger brakes. From this you get a pickup that really screams and stops on a dime. I am about to order a 2002, hope it still is available. It is sad however when a pickup becomes your present day supercar.

Jeff H
03-15-2002, 01:42 PM
Yenk Bart, did you ever get more details on this COPO truck option? I'll be looking for a truck to haul my JL8 when it's finished and this sounds like the perfect vehicle. I sent you an email but you said you were having problems with email so I wanted to post here. Let me know if you've tried to order this truck yet and if you were successful. Thanks,
Jeff.

YenkoYS100
03-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Hmmmmmm........I'd bet money that if these COPO trucks are built, they will be a nice snack for the Lightning. It's real sad for me to drive a low 13 second pickup everyday. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif

Ask Charlie how the blue oval tows. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif
-----------
Rick

Yenko Bart
03-15-2002, 10:59 PM
I am hitting a snag while trying to order my 2002. The dealer thinks this may be do to the fact that GM is no longer producing police vehicles like the caprice. If I am successful I will be more than happy to pass the info on to you. As for the Lightning at the end of the 1/4 mile I was 2 car lengths ahead. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

shor
03-15-2002, 11:07 PM
The NYC Police dept. uses police type impala's

shor
03-17-2002, 12:14 AM
The NJ and NY State Police use police type Suburban's and Tahoes. They have lower suspensions,2wd only,hd cooling, hd alternator, hd battery, black steel rims, etc. You must be a police or government agency to order theses vehicles....but without 4wd why bother?
www.policevehicle.com

[Edited by shor (03-16-2002 at 07:09 AM).]

[Edited by shor (03-16-2002 at 07:14 PM).]