PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ZL1 and T-Bolt info

L72COPO
03-18-2002, 08:08 PM
Message title should read Z-11 not ZL1 Sorry

I have a friend who does not have access to a computer that is interested in purchasing a Z11 and a T-Bolt. He has found one of each for sale but,like all of us, is worried about getting burned with a fake or cloned car. If anyone knows of an knowledgable individual that he can contact please let me know the contact information. Also any WEB sites that I could check out for him.

Thanks
Don

[Edited by L72COPO (03-18-2002 at 03:07 PM).]

[Edited by L72COPO (03-18-2002 at 03:08 PM).]

T Billigen
03-20-2002, 06:14 PM
If you are looking for a 1963 Z11, talk to Don Fezell (814) 371-0319.371-7610 he is very knowledgeable about these cars. These cars are hard to document so be careful. I looked at one a couple of years ago with all the right parts but the vin tag did not match up with the cowl tag. these cars were only made in a certain time frame at I believe the Flint, Michigan plant.

SS427
03-20-2002, 06:43 PM
There is still an original T-bolt here in Minneapolis but is not being advertised however. Anyone familiar with North Star Dragways and Minnesota Dragways will remember a red, white and blue T-bolt that campaigned very heavily in the '60s and '70s and based out of Coon Rapids on East River Road. It is now missing the correct engine. One of the members here personally knows of the car and owner. If it is for sale, he may just chime in. Out of my league. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif

REDZ
03-20-2002, 08:25 PM
TB you are so right. It's pretty easy to build a bogus Z-11 if you're willing to invest in the unique parts (finding these parts is also a major challenge). They were built within a certain time frame and there is a cut off date when no more were factory- built. Some of the parts probably went out of the back door after the cut off date to racers who shop-built a few Z-11's. For years the accepted number of factory-built cars has been 57. However, Rusty Symnes, who knows as much as anyone about these cars, told me 10-12 years ago that the Tonawanda engine plant had records for only 50 Z-11 engines. If 10% of these were for replacements, does that mean that only about 45 cars were built? The exact number may be a mystery that is never solved. Rusty has the serial numbers for many of these cars.

Muscle Car Jon
03-20-2002, 09:15 PM
There was a Z11 Impala listed on Ebay twice with in the last few months or so and also was one at one of the auction's in AZ. It was either at Barrett-Jackson or the Russo-Steele Auction. Looked to have some ligit history. Anyone aware of this car?

tom406
03-21-2002, 03:37 AM
Did that Minnesota T-bolt sit next to a body shop in the Shorview/Circle pines area in the late 80's? I know it was a legit car sitting there but being in high school, there wasn't much I could do about it (Mom and Dad wouldn't finance my dreams, just half of college-plenty fair, in hindsight). By the time I tried to track it down, the body shop and car were gone....

Fhakya
03-21-2002, 05:50 AM
If he's really interested in a T-Bolt tell him to check out this page
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/427fairlane/
..it's a good read. There's a less expensive alternative to an original T-Bolt via a company called Crites (sp?). I know that they were building accurate clones w/ 460 crate engines installed but I'm not sure whether they still do that. They also sell the T-bolt conversion parts. A buddy of mine got the shock tower kit w/ parts and templates for cutting. It's worth checking on considering that there were only like 100 of the real ones made with ?? still surviving.
-Mark Holman

SS427
03-21-2002, 01:47 PM
Tom, I only knew of it in 1975-1981. After Northstar and Minnesota Dragways closed, it sat at a gas station on East River Rd around 85th Ave. It was still wearing it red, white and blue flag scheme at that time. I was married in 1981 and moved to the south end of Minneapolis 45 miles away and lost track of the car. I am unsure if that was the same car you saw.

Tell you mom and dad that the "investment" would/could have been your retirement now! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif

Michael
03-22-2002, 09:18 PM
That's good reading on the T-Bolts.