PDA

View Full Version : Ohio COPO Dealers

Stefano
05-02-2002, 09:47 AM
It seems that Ohio would certainly take the number one spot for total COPO selling dealers. Considering Chevelles, Camaros, ZL1s and Yenkos, by my count there were approx. 20 dealers selling these COPOs.

The Norwood Camaro plant seems to have generated quite a few interested customers, very similar to the Tonowanda plant and the Canadian COPOs.

Just my observations, what do you guys think?

whitetop
05-09-2002, 06:09 PM
Stefano
Not sure the plants location had anything to do with the large number of Copo dealers in Ohio. Ohio has always been noted as a state with lots of car enthusiast. The large number of Copo dealers in Ohio may possibly be exemplified through what happens in other forms of autosports in Ohio.
Before the NSRA moved the Street Rod Nationals to Louisville(supposedly because they are buying the fairgrounds there), Columbus Ohio always had the most cars and holds the attendance records to this day.
A very common catch phrase back in the '60's car mags was the term "Ohio Gassers" in refering to the vast amounts of gassers that originated from Ohio.

It also should be noted that two of the largest speed shops in the world originated and are located in Ohio. Jegs originated in the '60's and Summit stared in the early '70's.

California may have more cars because the population is so much larger (The LA area and surrouinding basin probably have more people than the entire state of Ohio) but Ohio has more cars on a per capita basis.

My question to you is are most of the Copo dealers on the eastern side of the state? The eastern side of the state had a large industrial steel/ coal base in the '60's & '70's. Any area that had a large steel/coal base back then had more musclecars per capita whether you are talking about the Ohio Valley or Pittsburgh( Mon Valley etc) Eastern PA (Allentown area/Stanton)or some of the areas in Indiana (Gary??). The blue collar workers who were making the high wages back then were the ones who were into hotrodding and buying the musclecars.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (05-09-2002 at 01:09 PM).]

Stefano
05-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Dave,
I agree with your statements. But, it was the combination of the demand (Racers and Hot Rodders, including special deals to family of GM employees) and the direct Knowledge maintained by the employees and line workers, who walked into dealerships and educated them about ordering these cars (Supply).
GM did not directly inform Dealers that these COPOs were even available.
Maybe Jim Mattison can chime in as he certainly educated at least one Ohio dealer on how to order these special cars.

T Billigen
05-09-2002, 07:33 PM
I think most of the "hot cars" cars were sold in eastern Ohio and western Pa. because of what you said, a lot of the baby boomers had good jobs in the steel mills and the availability to the many drag strips in the area. From where I lived in Pa. I could go to seven different strips! Youngstown was a big seller of muscle cars also. Marv Minneman Chevy and Stackhouse Olds sponsored cars back in the 60s as well as other dealerships in the area. In my opinion this area was the biggest "hot bed" of COPO and muscle cars in the country!

whitetop
05-09-2002, 11:35 PM
T Billigen
I agree with your comment about the Ohio Valley being the hotbed of musclecars. I met a retired Chrysler Zone rep many years ago from my area and he told me about the sheer numbers of rare Chysler musclecars (440 six paks, Hemi's) that were purchased in the Ohio Valley Region which I would included north of Youngstown down past Wheeling and eastward to the Pittsburgh area. His term was they used to call it the "Hot Rod Valley" beacause of th amount of musclecars purchased. I grew up in the valley and have lived in 3 other parts of the country and nothing compares to the numbers of cars in this area. The car numbers in this area are still high today even after many of the cars have been sold (or rusted out- also the emmissions from the mills were horrendous to the cars)to other parts of the country because of the depressed economy this area experienced back in the late '70's and '80's or the guys who owned them moved away and took the the cars with them.

I remember a speed shop in Cadiz Ohio (Coultraps)that was directly in line between Columbus and Pittsburgh. When you walked in the door you pulled a numbered ticket to be waited on. This is from a shop that was out in the middle of nowhere and the closest town Cadiz had a population of 4-5K. The place had 8-9 bays that installed the parts you bought if desired. I talked with Tom Coultrap several years ago and he said it was common for guys to bring in a brand new car in the morning and he would install headers, carb intake wheels etc. and they would pick it up later that day or the next. Again, most were coal miners or steel employees with money in hand.

I know what you mean about the numbers and interest in the Youngstown area. I had some relatives that lived in the Warren Ohio area near Youngstown. My cousin bought a new '70 SS Chevelle(all white stripe delete) and raced it at many of the strips in the area you mention. I went with him in '74-75 to one small strip right across the river in Sharon Pa? Something with Beaver in the name?

Stefano I disrespectfully disagree on the impact employees may have had on the selling of the Copo's. I'm sure it had an impact but if you look at all the mags of the period the Zl-1's and Copos were plastered everywhere in ads, road test etc. Many dealers had ads in Hot Rod or the New York based publications for these cars. The cars were no real big secret back then. There were probably many dealers in the dark just like today.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (05-09-2002 at 06:35 PM).]

T Billigen
05-09-2002, 11:46 PM
White Top, do you remember a Mopar that was Called the "iron horse" I think it was a 69 GTX? The strips near Sharon were Skyline, Meander, and Sunset, I don't recall any with the word "Beaver" in them?

whitetop
05-10-2002, 12:02 AM
T
Would not have had the chance to remember the GTX. I was not from the area, just visiting and was only about 12 years old at the time. My cousins car had aluminum slots and was all white. Probably has 40-50 trophies in his house from those days. Next time I visit I'm going to get pics. Was there a town named Beaver in that area? Maybe they were not going to go to Beaver but were trying to go get some beaver... I don't know.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (05-09-2002 at 07:02 PM).]

JoeC
05-10-2002, 12:04 AM
Byrne Brothers in NY ran ads in 1969 for COPO cars but back then they called them "factory 425 hp Camaros and Chevelles". In the drag racing articles they were called "425 hp Camaros"

68l30
05-10-2002, 12:29 AM
Currently Northeast Ohio has 155+ Car Clubs,284 advertised local shows thru Oct 2002,and 8 or more car cruise-ins every night of the week.The cruise-ins average at least 50 cars per show earily in the week at small shows and 750+on the weekends/larger cruise-ins.I don't know about the rest of the country,I have lived in Cleveland all my life,but I doubt anyone can compare what goes on here to the rest of the WORLD.We have a local paper just for us cruisers,Cruisin'Times www.cruisintimes.org (http://www.cruisintimes.org) just to keep up with it.With numbers like this it's no wonder lot's of hi-po cars were sold.I've been to street races in Cleveland in the 90's that had 100+ cars every Fri/Sat night.You had one starter and a line of cars staged behind him.Always a mix of old and new muscle even tubbed race cars....

Steve

[Edited by 68l30 (05-09-2002 at 07:27 PM).]

[Edited by 68l30 (05-09-2002 at 07:29 PM).]

68l30
05-10-2002, 12:34 AM
Dave,no problem!I just thought I'd chime in on the current state of affairs around here.I feel to many people in the area (Northeast Ohio) don't appreciate what we have here.It's not until I talk to others from different parts of the country,Southern California inc,that I realize what we have to enjoy!

Steve

T Billigen
05-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Whitetop, there is a town named Beaver in Pa. I lived right across the Ohio river from it. No drag strip within 20 miles though.

whitetop
05-10-2002, 12:53 AM
Steve
I did not want to slight the Cleveland area. I was going to include it in my post but neglected to do so. I consider it part, and it is a part of the whole Ohio Valley region that I mentioned that is such a huge car mecca. I was probably more relating to the areas that I grew up in even though Cleveland needs to be included. Cleveland is another ex-Rust belt city that had it's share of steel mills. There is even a full color magazine on my local newstands called "Northern Ohio Rodder" that includes all forms of car stuff. Mag is geared to the Cleveland/Youngstown area.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (05-09-2002 at 07:53 PM).]

68l30
05-10-2002, 12:54 AM
Dave,just noticed the Power Tour now stops/ends at the Super Nats in Canfield!I have family in Southern Cal. that are heavily into 55-57 Chevrolets.I will make the trip to Pomona this June(?) and will have another chance to see for myself.BTW we still have rust,lots of it!

Steve

[Edited by 68l30 (05-09-2002 at 07:54 PM).]

whitetop
05-10-2002, 12:54 AM
Steve
Check out my added comments about Cleveland in my last post. Know what you mean about S.CA. Tom Prufer is a noted street rodder from California with tons of magazine cars to his credit and he said in Street Rodder mag several years ago that until he went to Ohio to check things out he thought Southern California was God's creation to hot rodding.
Ohio changed his mind real quick.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (05-09-2002 at 07:54 PM).]

Z28DZ
05-10-2002, 03:19 AM
I lived outside of Dayton until I moved to CA in 1979. I'm glad I was able to grow up in a small Ohio town. The cars and cruising were a great part of my youth. Our town of 6000 had its share of Detroit muscle. In fact, just recently I bought a car that had resided in my hometown area since '75 (thanks, Dave) and remember it cruising the local Parkview Drive-In & Dairy Queen. I would not trade those times for anything and though the car now lives with me in CA, it's Ohio heritage will remain.

Stefano
05-10-2002, 05:18 AM
No comments http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif

Peter D
05-10-2002, 05:35 AM
Are we talking going fast, pure copo,drag racing or what? California = Stone woods & cook, BIG JOHN MAZMANIAN, John Force, any of the Pendergon's. Let's not forget a guy named Bill Thomas,or Dana Chevrolet! Hey, I am not putting down Ohio, but Cal. had it's share of go fast too! Do any of you kid's remember a guy named Hayden Proffit? Now their was a true drag racing, car (Chevrolet)freak! Peace Brothers! ALSO NO SNOW HERE!

Stefano
05-10-2002, 06:11 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Ohio reigns supreme ,as the muscle car state.

Especially with the info. provided within this thread. It is simply amazing!

Nickey Chevrolet carried the torch until the 1969 model year when Jack Douglass became part of the Yenko Dealer network for the Chicago Market and Fencil Tufo was added in 1970 as a Yenko Dealer.

A couple of other Chicago dealers have claimed to have sold a few COPO Super Cars, but I have yet to see one.(Does anyone know of any others?)

That was it for the Chicago-metro market as far as Chevys are concerned.

While a few dealers did some "COPO" advertising, such as the ones mentioned and others like Jack Head in Alehambra, CA. I do not recall having seen any Ohio dealers advertising "COPOs".

Only a few of the Ohio dealers sold any substantial volume of COPOs. Most only sold two or three total and some just one.

Does anyone have any vintage Ohio News papers with Dealer COPO advertisements?

I didn't refer to Fred Gibb as he was not marketing to the Chicago-Metro, in my opinion, at least not directly.

whitetop
05-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Hey Z28DZ
I grew up reading about the Dayton area "Rat Pack" car group in Hot Rod and Car Craft back in the '70's. Loved those cars. All the cars were no nonsense street warriors that ran slicks, tunnel rams and of course big blocks. Saw Pat Crafton at a show last year selling videos and all I yelled out was "Rat Pack". Should of seen him look around. Told me he had not heard that term in years. The Dayton area also brought us car painter extrodinaire Scott Sullivan. Who cannot remember his blue /blown L-88 '67 Pro Street Nova that blew everyone away at the '78 and '79 Street Machine Nationals? Car set the standard for the Pro Street Trend.
I really miss those days.
Dave

68l30
05-10-2002, 04:24 PM
Stefano,I'll look into my books to find the news articals.If I remember correctly most of the ones I have are just a two to three line add for the "new 427 Camaros and Chevelles $4995".These ran in the daily papers in Cleveland in July 1969.Some of the smaller city papers ran some larger adds,sorry I can't remember which.

Peter D,I didn't want to take anything away from So.Cal.There were/are a lot of great names and history to come from that area.I feel the huge amount of diversity in the Ohio area as well as the manufacturing/blue coller money ,in the day, set the stage for what we had/have today.Does anyone remember a backyard racer named Mr.Gasket?

Steve

Tenney
05-11-2002, 02:49 AM
I also recall the Rat Pack, whitetop. Serious cars with some loud paint. Can picture a candy red '70 Chevelle, in particular, with "Rat Pack" on the front fenders at the '78 CC Nats. Remember the Blue Nova, too. It did help launch the Pro Street thing. Gary Kolofski's '55 probably had a hand this, too. And Steve Lisk's Lenco'd Hemi Challenger meant business, as well. That is, before the whole deal sorta went full-Dobbertin and fairground racers were everywhere. Think Scott may have gone on to build a couple of cool shoeboxes ('55 and '57)?

Was a little young to remember a ton from the Yenko years, but did grow up playing hockey with a couple of Tufo's sons (One whose nickname was Fencil, BTW).

BTW - If I recall correctly, Bill Porterfield (of the ZL-1 Porterfields) was running around in a blown, mid-engined '78 Olds 442 at the Nats back then.

Stefano
05-11-2002, 05:32 AM
Steve,
Too cool, I can't wait to see what you dig up.

While we are on the subject of digging... does any one remember a Dayton/Lebonon Resident drag racer who campaigned an Emerald Green 1955 Chevy up to at least 1971. He would have raced it at Tri-County South of Dayton and probably Edgewater.

He also had a steet Racer/Driver,which was also occasionally run at the tracks. A very stock Silver Black vinyl top X-11 trimmed 1969 COPO Camaro. It was still running factory NC8 exhaust when he windowed the original L72.

Mr Yenko
05-11-2002, 08:07 PM
The orig. owner of my COPO Camaro said that they called these cars SS427's. And mine was purchased from Byrne Brothers. Just my .02 cents. Mayor of Fishkill

whitetop
05-13-2002, 12:18 AM
Hello Tenney
I remember the '55 and the Challenger as well. I can still remember the look on Lisk's face in a pic in Pop Hot Rod as he sat in the car. Meanest look on somebody's face I've ever seen even to today. There was a small burb in a mag 4-5 years ago that '55 is alive and well in the new owners garage and is still the same as originally featured. Porterfield had a ZL-1 in a Kelmark GT before he did the mid engine Olds. He was in a mid engine kick for a while. I went to the '77-79 Street Machine Nat's in Indy. Wish I took a camera. Definetely a less serious time. I agree with you, Dobbertin was the one that set the stage for seriousness and perfection with his Nova and later his J2 Pontiac.
Dave

COPO
05-13-2002, 01:05 AM
Speaking of Rick Dobertin, we used to street race in the industrial park in front of his shop in the late '70's early 80's in VA. I remember going by his place almost weekly to see his progress on the Nova and the Pontiac. Incredible craftsman!

FESTIVAL78
05-13-2002, 06:09 PM
Am I wrong or was Dobbertin building some kind of "Surface orbiting wheeled spacecraft" with his wife that he was to circumnavigate the planet with? It looked like a stainless steel semi-tractor trailer with 6 wheels and a pointed front. ?? Sorry for being weird but I swear it was him (1988?)

Tenney
05-14-2002, 02:44 AM
Dave, I attended the CC show from '78 through '83 (Springfield) and stopped once the Nats went to DuQuoin. In contrast to the Pro Street movement, most of the crew I ran with began swapping Cragars, Ansens, etc. for Rallyes around this time (more for the aesthetic than as a purist exercise).

You're correct re: the Dobbertin's Orbiter, Festival. Never saw it in person but read about it in the mags. Remember seeing it advertised at one point but don't recall the price.

tom406
05-14-2002, 03:29 AM
Don't forget Porterfield's ZL-1 mid engine T-bucket pickup. I think that made a trio of mid-engine projects for him in the late '70's.

whitetop
05-14-2002, 01:36 PM
'79 was the last year for me. Not that I wanted to go to later ones just never had the opportunity. From the magazine coverage looks like the Pro Street trend really took off in '80. While there were some really higher dollar works, the cars that I remember from the earlier shows mostly just had minor mods like wheels, intakes, carbs, headers, gauges etc. That is what I meant by "less serious" in a past post. These were just like the cars that I remember that cruised around my hometown-and the style I still like today.
Dave

Tim F
05-22-2002, 12:48 AM
Found these old prout chevy dealer ads recently. click the link. http://communities.msn.com/COPOPICS

bkhpah
05-22-2002, 02:39 AM
I am seeking a Prout dealer emblem. Any condition wanted. We have the same ads from the paper. Before our friend Doug passed away he gave us the same ads. He cleaned them up on his computer and they are crystal clear. We will have them at the reunion...BKH

Stefano
05-22-2002, 04:53 AM
Anyone have a Prout COPO Chevelle?

Stefano
06-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Does any one have any info on Frost Chevrolet in Mechanicsburg, Ohio? They were to have sold five COPO Camaros, to include the Rally Green one featured in the 'Muscle Cars of the '60s' magazine dated January 13th 1969.

Z28DZ
06-14-2002, 03:43 PM
Hmmm, shuffle, shuffle. I recently bought a black RS COPO (needs restored) that was sold by Frost Chevrolet. It originally belonged to the brother of the original owner of said Rally green car. I don't know a lot about the dealer, though they dabbled in hipo Chevy's. From what I understand, the green and (my) black car, plus 2 others, were the first batch (Late May - early June 69?) and another unit arrived later (Sept 69?). I may not have my info correct as I am still putting the history together. If anyone has more info, please chime in.

Stefano
06-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Sounds like an awesome combo. What other options and trim does the COPO have?

Z28DZ
06-14-2002, 08:29 PM
This is the info I have on the car:

Vin: 647218 Body NOR 298357
TR 713 10B PNT
05C X11

Engine - T0512MN Trans - P9D19C Axle - BE 0512 G2

Other options: A01, D55, D80, N34, U17, U63, U80, Z22, VE3

The car was in my hometown of Eaton, OH and was owned by Dave A. from Mar. 1975 until Feb. 02.

ps - Charley made me do it...

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-14-2002, 09:11 PM
M22 car and X11!! Nice. /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif
M

Stefano
06-15-2002, 03:39 AM
Thanks for posting the info. It appears to be very helpfull with my quest in finding the selling dealer for My Silver COPO.

Stefano
06-16-2002, 05:10 AM
Since you are a Native Ohioan hopefully you can help me with a few questions. Do you know the proximity of Dayton,Lebonon and Middletown Ohio to Mechanicsberg?

Also did your COPO come with Rally Wheels?

Was your COPO raced /track or street, and if so which tracks?

Do you know the options or colors of the other three missing COPOs from Frost Chevrolet?

Z28DZ
06-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Since you are a Native Ohioan hopefully you can help me with a few questions. - Native that has been living in CA for 25 years, but ya never forget your roots

Do you know the proximity of Dayton,Lebonon and Middletown Ohio to Mechanicsberg? - Dayton being the hub, Mechanicsburg is appx 45 mi east and a liitle north, Lebanon is appx 25 mi south and Hamilton appx40 mi south and a little west.

Also did your COPO come with Rally Wheels? - I have a pic of the car when it was purchased by the previous owner in 1975, it has rallys, but I do not know if they are original.

Was your COPO raced /track or street, and if so which tracks? - To the best of my knowledge, probably somewhat. I have not talked to the original owner, but I'm sure the car saw some performance duty.

Do you know the options or colors of the other three missing COPOs from Frost Chevrolet? - From recent findings the 09A car is burnished brown and almost identical options, the rally green car in the article is in Springfield OH area, I do not have info on the other two at this time.

I received info from Charley that the 09A car is for sale.

Stefano
06-17-2002, 04:34 AM
Is this the same burnished brown COPO which once belonged to Randy Miller? I was told that it also came from an Ohio Dealer and that it had some paperwork , but have never seen any Documents.

Does your COPO have any Signs of an NC8 exhaust? They used some application specific hangers.

Was your D80 equipment added by the dealer or factory?

Z28DZ
06-17-2002, 11:35 PM
Is this the same burnished brown COPO which once belonged to Randy Miller? I was told that it also came from an Ohio Dealer and that it had some paperwork , but have never seen any Documents. - I do not Know about Mr. Miller

Does your COPO have any Signs of an NC8 exhaust? They used some application specific hangers. - No.

Was your D80 equipment added by the dealer or factory? - I believe the factory. The two trunk lid torsion springs are different sizes.

Stefano
07-08-2002, 06:33 PM
TimF,
Took some pictures of a black COPO Camaro. with a white interior at a recent local Ohio Cruise.

Is this one of the documented Prout COPOs? Who is the current owner?

Tim F
07-09-2002, 06:37 AM
Stef,I took a few pics of the copo in question. there on my msn group COPOPICS. search the old posts here for PROUT and someone confirmed it if i remember right. sorry, didnt meet the owner or id talk his ear off.

Stefano
07-22-2002, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know about Queen City Chevrolet in Cincinnati?

There is a Black /Black X11 code COPO Camaro in the 1984 issue of 'Super Chevy' which states that it was sold there.

RED427
07-22-2002, 09:40 PM
QUEEN CITY CHEVROLET
414 EAST COURT ST.
CINCINNATI, OHIO,45202 ( LONG GONE NOW ITS BEEN A BUS STATION FOR ABOUT 20 + YEARS )
I KNOW HEAD SALESMAN, HE ORDER 5 TO 10 COPO CARS AT A TIME!
I HAVE SEEN SHIPPING SLIPS!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Stefano
07-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Sounds like if they ordered maximum quantity at least a few times that they could be one of the highest volume COPO dealers.

How many of their COPOs are found to date?

RED427
07-23-2002, 04:54 AM
I KNOW OF 4 CAMARO AND 1 CHEVELLE /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Stefano
07-23-2002, 05:06 AM
Wow, another COPO Chevelle! Has this COPO ever been shown or been in a magazine. When you look at the total number of found COPO Chevelles, it seems to be fairly low. Who is keeping track, of the total, off the top of there heads? I think the number is less than 50 total?

T Billigen
07-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know how many Yenko/COPOs were sold at Joseph Chevy? I believe they were also in Cincinnati, I know of one Yenko Chevelle for sure.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Tom;
Joseph sold at least 6 '69 Yenko Camaros, including an Olympic Gold one, and at least 5 '69 Yenko Chevelles. I believe 3 of the Camaros are found, but I'm not aware of any of the Chevelles.

T Billigen
07-23-2002, 03:03 PM
I have the name of the original owner of a white Yenko Chevelle and the vin number around here somewhere, he still owns the car. When he told me he bought it at Joseph, I was a little skeptical, I did not realize they sold any Yenkos.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Hmmmm;
The Dover White yenko Chevelles are Reggie Jacksons from Friedly Olds in Cedar Falls, IA, One from W.R.Austin in CT whereas the owner supposedly died (in it?), and one from Yenko Chev. that was junked in 1976.

I didn't know of a DW Y-Chevelle from Joseph, but I have the orig. owners of those 5 cars; Bishop, Hunt, Enderle, Mize, & Fehrman. Any of these ring a bell?
/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

T Billigen
07-23-2002, 04:39 PM
His name is Fred Plagman, Newport, KY. Dover White, no vinyl roof. Hunting for vin number, if I find it I will e-mail it to you. I have talked to him a couple of times, says he has all the paper work on the car.

mike s
04-21-2005, 08:25 AM
but the best ohio born and bread camaro has to be the #69 ZL1

Tom Hartman
04-21-2005, 07:48 PM
I have a friend who says his brother bought a COPO Camaro from Jachshaw, promptly went out and totaled it and then went and bought another one. How many came from Jackshaw or Marv Minnimum in Youngstown. My old FG Yenko Camaro came from Minimum along with numerous Chevelles. I am about directly between the two dealers and the cars may be all around here. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

mhassett
04-24-2005, 05:18 AM
Tom, our little Chevy Dealership here in Ashtabula, Ohio (Callender Chevrolet) sold a new '69 COPO Chevelle, white, to a John Popso. I remember looking at it at a gas station trying to figure out what it was!?! I was 15yrs. old and wanted a '69 SS Chevelle. Didn't get one until 15yrs. later.
Mark

NCGuy68
04-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Can anyone list the name and town of the Ohio dealers that sold COPO cars?

I've got 'gear-head' kinfolk in the Akron/Canton area that may know the where abouts of any that may still be around.

bbbenny
04-26-2005, 09:27 PM
i know of two dealers in columbus, ohio. that sold copo camaros. jack maxten and konners. konners, got two groups of 10 69 copo camaros. i know there is more, then that. i;ll see what i can find out. bbbenny http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

ANDY M
04-26-2005, 10:03 PM
There were at least 18 dealers in Ohio that sold COPO cars,and 5 were in the Columbus area alone. There were 3 dealers in and around Springfield, which is 40 miles west of Columbus, 2 in the Cincy area, a couple on the river, 4 or 5 in the Cleveland area and a few scattered around the state. And these are just the ones that we know about.
Andy

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-26-2005, 11:45 PM
I have compiled a comprehensive list of Yenko Dealers over the years, the following is the Ohio section:

Central Chev Cleveland OH
Earl Davis Chev Mansfield OH
Glockner Chev Portsmouth OH
Hugh White Chev Columbus OH
Joseph Chev Cincinnati OH
Konners Chev Columbus OH
Luby Chev Cleveland OH
Marve Minneman Chev Youngstown OH
The Central Motor Co. Hamilton OH
White Allen Chev Dayton OH
White Chevy Lima OH

95S-351
04-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Mike S,My father-in-law sold #69 Z-L1 when it was new ! He also sold some other COPO's! The name of his dealership is Huebner Chevrolet Carrollton Ohio.He has since retired and sold the dealership! Mark

Jeff Murphy
04-27-2005, 03:16 AM
I understand from talking to the current owner's son that Walters Chevrolet (now Bowman) in Hebron sold one COPO Camaro, one COPO Chevelle and one Yenko Camaro. I've been able to confirm the Camaro and was also recently able to confirm that they had a Yenko on their lot. The below image is an edit of a full page classified ad from late August 1970:

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/136204-700828-Newark-OH-Walters-Ye.jpg

Seems like $200 wasn't much of an ask to go from an SS350 to a sYc... Wonder if it was Rally or Fathom Green?

68l30
04-27-2005, 05:58 AM
Here's a few....

Prout,Elyria Oh.
Jackshaw,Cleveland
Ed Stinn,Cleveland
Earl Evans,Painsville
Lavery,Alliance
Minneman,Youngstown
Konners,Columbus
Rodenfelds,Parma
Edgewater,Cleveland
Ewing,Canton

I'm sure there's a lot more than this....

Steve http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Mr70
04-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Was Bobb Chevrolet in Columbus a COPO dealer?
I've run across a few LS6's from there & see they are still in business.
http://www.bobbchevrolet.com/

Stefano
04-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Jeff,
What is the date of the adv., 11,000 miles and one previous owner makes it a used Yenko?

Jeff Murphy
04-27-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
classified ad from late August 1970

[/ QUOTE ]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-27-2005, 04:30 PM

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-27-2005, 04:30 PM
I think the Walters Yenko Camaro was a used car, originally sold out of ??. We know that there was both a fathom green and a rallye green '69 Y-Camaro in the area of Buckeye Lake, (Buckeye Ocean to the locals http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

ANDY M
04-27-2005, 07:19 PM
The Walters Yenko was sold new at Hugh White Chev. in Columbus, and it was RG. They are now a Honda dealer. Ed C. had a pic of the window sticker in his book. Bobb is still in business at the same location. They MAY HAVE sold a COPO car, but it's not documented. A guy in our Camaro Club has a Bobb '68 BY 'vert L78 with 1800 original miles that was a drag car. Very well documented. They sold a lot of Hi-po cars. Walters is 5 miles east of National Trails, and about 35 miles east of downtown Columbus.
Bob McDorman is now in Columbus, but only because they moved the city limits. Jack Maxton is in Columbus, and sold some COPO Camaros, one X-11 Tux. Blk that I'v posted a pic of. Altough not famous for it, Columbus guys like to street race! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif
Andy

Leonard
04-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Andy, i was told several years ago of a RG 69 Yenko that was for sale on the east side Newark Ohio (CR668-staddens bridge road)back in the late 80s. Rough car, with extra 427 motor. Could be the same car from Walters used lot. Talk was the car went to Wisconsin. Do not know if it was sold or owner moved and took car with him. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Jeff Murphy
05-21-2005, 04:22 AM
More from Walters. Hope you like the following series of ads.

1. February 13, 1969

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/140070-690213-Newark-OH-Walters.jpg

Jeff Murphy
05-21-2005, 04:23 AM
2. February 20, 1969 (notice the engine sizes)

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/140071-690220-Newark-OH-Walters.jpg

Jeff Murphy
05-21-2005, 04:25 AM
3. February 27, 1969 (again notice the engine sizes)

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/140072-690227-Newark-OH-Walters.jpg

Jeff Murphy
05-21-2005, 04:27 AM
4. March 6, 1969 (notice something different?)

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/140074-690306--Newark-OH-Walters.jpg

Belair62
05-21-2005, 04:54 AM
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

camarojoe
05-21-2005, 08:43 AM
cool stuff Jeff. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

mikecopo
01-26-2007, 08:09 PM
One Black chevelle copo came out of Wagner Chevrolet Northwest OH Wauseon Oh, only bench seat 4spd out of the 4 black copo chevelles sold, correct me If I'am wrong?????? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

sYc
01-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Cool... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

mockingbird812
01-26-2007, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One Black chevelle copo came out of Wagner Chevrolet Northwest OH Wauseon Oh, only bench seat 4spd out of the 4 black copo chevelles sold, correct me If I'am wrong?????? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That car is currently sitting in a garage 22 miles NNW of me and is stunning! M22, KQ, NC8!

mikecopo
01-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Could you PM me???Thanks Mike http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

camaromb
01-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Mike,

That is the car I told you about, restored by Micky Hale. It is still shown on Micky's website. We saw the car while at BJ 3 years ago.
Mark

firstgenaddict
02-23-2007, 04:04 AM
There are an awful lot of drag strips throughout the Ohio valley... I traveled there alot from the mid 90's - early 2001 and it seems like around ever bend throughout southern Ohio there was a drag strip that the starting line was out by the main rd and the strip ran perpendicular to the rd.... towards nowhere...

68l30
02-23-2007, 05:12 AM
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

It's the COPO state for a reason.... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

It's tough to beat Ohio for the volume of musclecars and the auto related cultures.This is the best location in the nation!... I know it's hard to believe with only 5 good months a year...(and the Browns).. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ..But....during those 5 months we have a ton very well represented cruise-in's EVERY night of the week... we get a 1000 cars on Tuesday nights in the summer...If your coming to Cleveland give me a yell..

69z2x4
03-07-2007, 05:38 AM
After Talking with COPO owners in this area, I found that Frost Chev sold about a dozen and Langs in Xenia sold a few. White Allen in Dayton sold some but there big thing it seems was 427 Chevelles. They sold a lot of them. I know that Frank Z sold at least one COPO because I drove it off the lot. Ralley Green 4 speed. Where are they now?

Sherm

bkhpah
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
We are restoring one of the Frost COPO Camaros...BKH

olredalert
03-07-2007, 06:55 PM
-----Does anyone remember the Chevy dealer in Washington Courthouse OH.??? I went there a couple of times in 1967/8 and almost bought a 67 435 Vette there. They had many hipo cars on the ground, including a white (I think) 375hp Camaro. The car wasnt delivered yet and had a set of headers as well what was described to me at the time as an extra gearset, both in the trunk. The salesman showed me because he knew I was a gearhead and he couldnt believe how the car was delivered. I never went there during the 1969 model year but they were exactly the kind of dealer to order COPO type cars. Wish Id have bought the Vette........Bill S

69z2x4
03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
BKH; What color COPO? I know people that have Frost COPOs

Sherm

PeteLeathersac
03-07-2007, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-----Does anyone remember the Chevy dealer in Washington Courthouse OH.??? I went there a couple of times in 1967/8 and almost bought a 67 435 Vette there. They had many hipo cars on the ground, including a white (I think) 375hp Camaro. The car wasnt delivered yet and had a set of headers as well what was described to me at the time as an extra gearset, both in the trunk. The salesman showed me because he knew I was a gearhead and he couldnt believe how the car was delivered. I never went there during the 1969 model year but they were exactly the kind of dealer to order COPO type cars. Wish Id have bought the Vette........Bill S

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that the 'Vette would've been a bad thing Bill, but that L78 Camaro w/ gears and pipes in the trunk would sure feel good...especially to still have today!.
I'd love to see the paperwork w/ the trunk options!.
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
~ Pete

bkhpah
03-07-2007, 11:57 PM
The COPO from Frost is triple black/with deluxe comfort weave, VE3, D80, RS, console, gauge, rally wheels. Born with drivetrain. Very loaded up for a COPO. The highest optioned car that we have done, thats for sure. Should be a really stunning car...BKH http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Xplantdad
03-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Brian...sounds bitchin' (for lack of a more apropos word). Can't wait to see it! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Z28DZ
03-08-2007, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Brian...sounds bitchin' (for lack of a more apropos word). Can't wait to see it! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Xplantdad
03-09-2007, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh...on my part! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif My brain has finally made the connection...LOL.

From what I've seen...it looks awesome! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

bkhpah
03-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Looks even better today. Did some work on it today and the car is VERY close to final blocking. Body fit is super. Nothing like a fresh black paint job...BKH http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Xplantdad
03-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Great! Wanna 'share' some pics? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Ed has already promised to give me a "ride" LOL http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

firstgenaddict
03-11-2007, 06:30 PM
WOW can't wait to see the black cubed car... that will be BA http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif have to admit there is nothing quite like a shiny black 69 Camaro... with a cowl hood and VE3...

Z28DZ
03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Here's a pic of it being dropped off onto the SCW trailer and heading to the shop.

Which brings me to this point - I've been trying to find out more regarding the Camaros' history -I have talked to the original owner of my car. He bought the car off the Frost Chevrolet lot in Aug/Sept. of '69 and traded it back to Frost around Jan. 1970. The owner previous to me bought the car in March 1975 from Gene Young Motors used car lot in Springfield, OH and it resided in or near my home town of Eaton, OH until it came to CA in 2002. From early 1970 to early 1975 I don't have any info. I've tried all the regular tactics, so if any of you Ohio folk remember (or know someone who does) this car, I'd appreciate any info.

67Z28guy
03-13-2008, 08:31 AM
for a small town, Portsmouth,Ohio had its share,my friend has several of the original 69 cars with paperwork!

Chevy454
03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Anyone have a COPO or other SuperCar that woulda ran @ Kil-Kare Dragway?

COPO CARTEL
03-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Rob that is in Xenia Ohio only about 30 miles from Frost Chevrolet. Ask the Dayton guys Eric Johnson 937-748-4254 Home # http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

olredalert
03-21-2008, 06:38 AM
-----I used to go to Kil-Kare occasionally with an older buddie that raced a fairly new 1963 340hp Corvette navy blue 'vert. He raced it as stock but had stroked it even back then. Ran 5:13 Getz gears as well. He usually ran at 42 most of the time as it was really close to home. Wonder if anyone remembers him. His name was Jerry Ferrell. He has passed on but he owned Jerry Ferrell Motorsports in Medina for many years. In his younger days he raced anything that would move without pedals........Bill S

68l30
03-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I remember that name......

COPO CARTEL
03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
KilKare is owned by the Chrysler family the son Jack is a customer of mine here in Columbus he owns Ohio Trailer Supply http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

396L35
03-21-2008, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KilKare is owned by the Chrysler family the son Jack is a customer of mine here in Columbus he owns Ohio Trailer Supply http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What kinda customer is he to you??? I thought you were only into teenage boys.... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

COPO CARTEL
03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Mark aren't you 18 http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif hey I just called your house and your wife said you were at work so I called work and they said you took the day off. Call me I have not gotten the steering wheel yet. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BLOWNALKYCAMARO
03-22-2008, 03:15 AM
OHIO License plates used to say THE HEART OF IT ALL and yes the last zl1 was born and bread in OHIO

69z2x4
06-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Rob; Sorry I did not catch your post on KK. I raced a DY 69 copo at kk back in the 70s. I can't recall his name but the orig owner was from Bellbrook. A small town about 6 mils from Xenia. I think he got it new from Langs Chevy in Xenia.
Sherm

L78M22Rag
01-26-2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've just spent the last hour or more reading this post... wish I had been born in Ohio!

My COPO Chevelle was registered in Columbus, OH back in 1985. The car was originally dover white with black vinyl top and red bench - column shift auto.

It's a long shot, but does anyone remember the car? After reading this post, I see that it won't be easy tracking the car's dealer history.... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

scuncio
02-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I dug up a few old Ohio dealer decals for this thread:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4337053985_84c8f51949.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4337053675_d28ddbb893.jpg

Mr. Chevy
02-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Very Cool Decals!!! Awesome...

Grady, we will have to see about getting you an Evans decal for your COPO..

Rich

Jeff Murphy
02-08-2010, 12:34 AM
I like the Walters one! Bob Walters sent me 3 NOS ones for my car...

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

scuncio
06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Few more Ohio dealers (sorry for the non-Chevy content)....
[CENTER]
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4714824161_f31bca01fd_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4715465516_9c14b2c47f_b.jpg

fsc66
06-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Another high performance dealer:
See listing for 427 Camaro under hot cars

Paul

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/06/full-14236-44740-image.png

68 DANA
06-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Great ad...very nice!

68l30
06-12-2016, 06:48 PM
I like the 67 Camaro 427 4sp ad.... Love to see that car!

BIG

mr 707
06-13-2016, 11:26 AM
4195.00 would have been yenko money. Joseph didnt sell and 67-8 yenkos.

Woj
06-13-2016, 11:59 AM
I just spoke to a salesman for Lyle Chevrolet (Cuyahoga Falls, OH) who had worked there in the late 60's and early 70's, he said they had an actual Sports Department and had 40 high perf cars on the lot at any given time. He said they sold two ZL1's (I only see one on the registry, maybe one got traded away?). I know of one for sure, but have not heard of the other. They also sold my COPO Chevelle. According to the original owner of my car, he said they had four COPO Chevelles on the lot when he went to buy his. The dealership is now a parking lot. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

Phil Woj.

PeteLeathersac
06-13-2016, 01:02 PM
-

Thanks for bringing this cool thread back to life!
Awesome Dealer Decals!
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

----------------------------

Zone # <span style="font-weight: bold">28</span>
Dealer Code # <span style="font-weight: bold">348</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Lyle Chevrolet Co.</span>
2306 Front St.
Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221
Phone WA 1117

ZL1 #53
VIN 124379N634918
4-speed M22
Dover white
Delivering Dealer - Lyle Chev Ohio

ZL1 #53 @ Mecum Indy2011...
https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0511-107445/0/1969-Chevrolet-ZL1-Camaro/

-

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/06/full-2506-44788-lylechevcuyahogafallsoh.jpg

-

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/06/full-2506-44789-lylechevcuyahogaoh.jpg

-

Woj
06-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Cool stuff Pete. Thanks.

cook_dw
06-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Anyone have anything on Glasscock Chevrolet? Would love to find a license plate surround or dealer emblem.

fsc66
06-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Loads of old ads for Glasscock through the years.
Paul

cook_dw
06-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Where would be a good place online to find these ads?

PeteLeathersac
06-23-2016, 08:42 PM
-

Paul's talking about the newspapers.com website, probably where he found and posted that Glasscock ad for you last year... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/636646/re-glasscock-chevrolet
You need a subscription to view whole pages there but can sometimes get cheater views of what's available by Google <span style="text-decoration: underline">Image</span> searching... <span style="font-weight: bold">&quot;newspapers.com&quot; &quot;Glasscock Chevrolet&quot; Willoughby</span> ...exactly as noted including quotation marks then clicking on interesting results shows a slightly larger preview.
A few members here have Newspapers.com subscriptions so post what you find/like and someone can post/email the complete size versions for you.
And be careful searching as there's still a Glasscock Chevy in Texas...related?

Looks like Mrs' Glasscock from Willoughby passed away last summer...at 103!
Note the family names listed and you may have some success tracking them down if you want to try...
http://www.fortmyersmemorial.com/obituaries/Lillian-Glasscock-2/#!/Obituary

Here's a Glasscock Willoughby delivered '54 'Vette...
http://www.c1registry.com/index.php?job=...25&amp;uid=7363 (http://www.c1registry.com/index.php?job=ShowCorvette&amp;car_id=3392&amp;today=2011-11-25&amp;uid=7363)

Good luck!
~ Pete

downunder1
06-24-2016, 02:12 AM
My LS6 was sold new at Lyle Chevrolet.

John

Xplantdad
06-24-2016, 03:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: downunder1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My LS6 was sold new at Lyle Chevrolet.

John </div></div>

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

PeteLeathersac
06-24-2016, 11:24 AM
-

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/06/full-2506-45299-image.jpg

Had this '68 pic in my system and meant to include w/ prev' post.
Same Lyle Chev...Bob W?
~ Pete

m22mike
06-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Pete
Your pm box. Is in overload mode. Can you pm me that Lyle picture ? Or use my e mail, li is in my profile.

Thanks Mike

PeteLeathersac
06-24-2016, 01:10 PM
No email showing Mike, PM sent your way.
~ Pete