PDA

View Full Version : 1968-1972 Nova Hanger Reproduction

SS427
05-09-2002, 08:25 PM
On the same subject but not to take away from your thread, what can we as customers do to get the '70 Chevelle hangers to be manufactured more exacting? The center hangers are very close except for some minor bends and rivet heads. The rear J-hangers need to have the tab that wraps around as well as the rivets. I certainly do not mind paying extra for an exact part.

You guys were kind enough to use my rear brackets to work on your rubbers and clamps but I would like the J-hangers to be available through your system. I was told it could not be done due to the tooling but after talking to several machinest, they do not understand why. Just asking since your system is the best out there and I would love to see it a perfect match.

Mr70
05-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Could you please start selling your 1970 Chevelle Rear tail pipe hangers as a set again?
I do not want to buy a complete Gardner system just to get to those hangers.
Many people I know would like just those hangers on their Chevelles,so why not sell them individually?
There is a demand.... http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

gexhaust
05-10-2002, 05:57 AM
Gardner Exhaust Systems is contimplating reproducing the 1968-1972 Nova Front Hangers. The hangers that have been available are not identicle to the original as many of you Yenko Deuce guys know. If reproduced these hangers will be identicle to the original right down to the corded rubbers and retainers. The only thing holding us back is the cost of the reproduction.
We are offering for a limited time only, to offset tooling costs, these hangers to the public. We will be taking credit card numbers of any who are interested but will not charge the customer until the final product is completed. Once we have received enough orders to help us with tooling costs than the hangers will become only available with our reproduction exhaust systems. The hangers will come as a pair and the price will be a maximum of $90.00/set. If we do not get enough orders than the project will be abandoned. We are also interested in doing exact copies of the 1967-1969 camaro front hanger. We are always interested in providing identicle copies of hangers and exhaust systems to the public however, if there is not enough interest, as business people it is not viable. If any one is interested please contact us at 845-876-8117 or e-mail us and we will get back to you. If you would like to see previous reproductions of our products then visit http://www.gardnerexhaust.com

gexhaust
05-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the interest in the 70 chevelle hangers. Let me start by saying everything can be made. GM made it, and we have even talked to our machining company to make the j hanger exactly like the original. Our problem as stated before is it requires additional funding. Who is going to pay for it? If there is enough of a demand out there we are always willing to improve our reproductions.

Note: Not a single inquiry yet on the nova hangers.

SS427
05-10-2002, 02:55 PM
One of my biggest pet peaves and most frequent conversations I have with restoration manufactures is their quality of reproductions. When it comes to emblems, weatherstrip, brackets, decals, etc, it typically costs no more to do it right the first time then to half ass it. I typically spend 1-2 hours "re-restoring" an aftermarket wiring harness because of incorrect connectos and wrong colored wires (green). It would cost those manufactures $0 to make that correct. For emblems, weatherstrip, etc, I doubt it would add $5 to a $50,000 mold.

As an example of a decal, someone is being paid to sit behind a drafting table or computer and design the placement, font, color etc. It would have cost no more to do it "exact" than to do it "close". Note posi decals and plastic posi tags.

With regards to exhausts systems, you are correct as and per previous conversations I have had with Gardner, it does cost more to make some of the parts such as the J-hook and rivets. The rear muffler bracket however could be more exacting without expense (I think). It would also be nice to have the part number stamped into the resonator. I for one would be very willing to pay more for an exact part so that my restorations are a step ahead of someone elses. That is what seperates us from the wanna be's and also gives our customers their moneys worth.

With that being said, there is obiously a market for "close enoughs". Some maufactures offer a "close" and an "exact" reproduction in their catalogs with the "exacts" being more expensive. I give my customers the option but if it is on a high dollar car or Diamond/Bloomington or what ever, the dollar difference is rarely an issue.

When looking at other Chevelles at shows, one of the first places I look at on an "exact restoration" is the owners exaust hangers. 1 out of 10 has the J-hooks. I spent several hundred dollars restoring, plating and remounting the original J-hook to your rubber and bracket. My customer had no concern there as he wants it exact and I am very pleased with the outcome. I likely spent $500 improving your exaust system on a current restoration but that is what makes it a step ahead.

In closing, let me say that this is in no way vendor bashing as I truly feel your system is leaps and bounds ahead of others out there. I also recommend it to everyone as an only choice. Your service is also second to none and you are always willing to help your customers and listen. Would I pay more to get an improved system, I already did. Maybe I am a minority but I sure hear a lot of reproduction complaints (decals, brackets, weatherstrip, etc) on other BB's.

[Edited by SS427 (05-10-2002 at 09:55 AM).]