PDA

View Full Version : Track Rental @ 2002 Reunion

COPO
12-05-2001, 01:03 PM
Any more thoughts on potentially renting the track at the 2002 Reunion? Perhaps 1/2 a day in conjunction with a local car club?? I think everyone had fun last year at the strip, just long lines and lack of runs could be improved upon.

Maybe we could talk COPO Pete into bringing the small block powered Dec. Feature Car and see how it does against its bigger brethren. A David and Goliath story in the making. Andrew announcing again in the tower would be super!

Chevy454
12-05-2001, 02:15 PM
I agree on ALL of your thoughts, Charlie. Besides Charlie and I, is anyone else interested in some more track time? If so, it would be nice to know now, so we could get with the track and get something worked out.

By the way...have you had the new addition to the track yet? Any numbers for me to shoot for http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif?

Stefano
12-05-2001, 03:20 PM
Track time would be a very favorable aspect.

Chevy454
12-05-2001, 03:56 PM
We already have some track time, as we have since the very first year (it's intersting how other shows have started doing this also), but if it's just going to be Charlie and I making runs, then we might be better off just sticking around for the trophy class.

As I have stated before: the racing is the part of the show that gets my blood going, and I would LOVE to see this part of the show grow. BUT, with that said, I DO NOT want it to detract from the show part of the weekend, as that is what started it all, and is the reason people show up in the first place. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that I would like to see the racing part add something to the weekend, rather than take away from another part. Make sense?

Stefano
12-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Will clone cars be permitted to run, or is the event strictly limited to authenic Super Cars?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-05-2001, 09:23 PM
Hopefully, NO - that can be seen anytime at our local tracks. Most are not even clones, they are simply cars with stripes stuck to them.
M

Charley Lillard
12-05-2001, 10:12 PM
So If I bring one of my Pro Touring Camaro's I can't run it down the track ?:-(

COPO PETE
12-05-2001, 10:22 PM
Assuming I am David, who exactly is the "Goliath" COPO is refering too.
Peter

COPO
12-06-2001, 02:14 AM
I think it would be great to incorporate more track time into the event. I enjoyed going to the track at the 2001 Reunion and I'm guessing there were at least 20 cars that made a pass?? With the inevitable lines and oil downs that often occur under the best conditions it's doubtful anyone could ever get more than 2-3 runs in.

By renting the track for 1/2 a day a smaller group could probably get as many runs as you wanted. Logistically it would be difficult to accomplish the show and the drags in a single day as the 2001 event was able to do as it's doubtful the track could be economically rented on a Sat. evening. Also, I don't think many would really want to run their cars prior to the show on Sat. morning/afternoon. That leaves Sunday morning as the most logical time to run at the track and would still allow everyone to leave on Sunday afternoon to head home or stay until Monday morning.

Maybe the best thing to do is see if the track could be rented for part of Sunday, and if so, what the cost would be. Then based on interest from everyone it would be easy to tell if it would be feasible to go it alone or if it be necessary to partner with another small local group.

Rob, you had mentioned incorporating an outdoor musclecar show into the Reunion weekend and between the Supercars and some of those participants it might work.

I haven't had the new acquisition to the track and in fact haven't picked it up yet, but Joel Rosen used to guarantee 11's or your money back which means I might make it into the 12's with my driving skills. :-)

Charley, so what is this new toy you've got and will it be at the '02 Reunion? Kevin, it'd be great to see the '69 Nickey on the track or we could pair up our '71 BM's.

[Edited by COPO (12-05-2001 at 09:14 PM).]

Charley Lillard
12-06-2001, 02:52 AM
I can't tell until tomorrow...Dammit... I can't stand it much longer.. Car will be here in the morning.....arrgh..Can't sleep..

Denis
12-06-2001, 03:23 AM
Just after that reunion this year, I was driving around killing time on Sunday and came across another race track, about the same distance away from the convention center. I don't recall the name but it's nice to know there are alternatives around.

charley: car, what car?

Stefano
12-06-2001, 03:38 AM
It would be great to have another venue for those inclinded to run their Super Cars. 2 or three runs would just tease me to the point of frustration. Heck,it takes me three runs just to dial in my wife's stock C5.

I know that everyone will not want to participate but I'm certain there will be enough willing participants to spread the financial reponsibility.

I know that a Super Car Track Day would get more of my Car Buds, to make the trek than the show aspect.(just my experience)

While I enjoy looking at Super Cars, I would rather watch them race and more so enjoy racing others with Super Cars, regardless of the outcome.

Also, if correct Super Car Clones can't participate, what about other legit Muscle cars that are not Super Cars?

Chevy454
12-06-2001, 06:26 PM
Pete:

The way I see it, your car is no different (ok, maybe a little different!) than an original COPO car that windowed a block along the way and the owner dropped an L-88 short block in place of the L-72. Once a COPO, always a COPO...

[Edited by Chevy454 (12-06-2001 at 01:26 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-06-2001, 07:00 PM
I'll go along with that!
M

Stefano
12-06-2001, 07:19 PM
The word "clone" doesn't fit your car.Sounds like an original COPO w/out the original motor.

COPO PETE
12-07-2001, 05:30 AM
Define clone. Rob had asked me to bring my white car with the ZL-1 in it to make a few passes. Especially if I get it down in the high 11 range. I told him I did'nt think I should because it is a clone ZL-1. Engine part #'s are correct and it is certified. He reminded me that it is a original supercar, as it is originally a iron 427 COPO car. So what's the opinion?????????clone or forgivable clone??
Peter

69sixpackbee
12-11-2001, 02:57 AM
If you rent the track in conjunction with a car club would that club have to be a Chevrolet club or would any car club be ok ?
If you say went in with a Ford or Mopar club you might be able to set up some neat match races by doing that. Just something to ponder. I'm coming to watch no matter what, but it would be fun to run also.

Chevy454
12-11-2001, 02:46 PM
Denis:

What track did you see? The only other strip I know of in the area is Wentzville, which is about 30(?) minutes away. Maybe 69sixpackbee would know?

69sixpackbee:

We have really kicked around trying to rent some track time, and splitting the cost with another(s) car club or group. Are there any other tracks local besides Gateway? We would rather do something there, as it is a really nice facility, and within a mile "as the crow flies" of the convention center.

Chevy454
12-11-2001, 08:33 PM
Charley:

We haven't "formally" rented the track in years past, we've just showed up and taken over. The tracks have been VERY gracious and helped us out a bunch, and let us work ourselves into the regular racing program pretty much however we wanted.

We've been waiting on a call from the guy at Gateway, but we haven't been able to talk it over yet. I want to say we heard a number somewhere around the $2,000(?) mark kicked around, but a couple of the local supercar owners thought they might be able to help swing a better deal, but who knows? That is IF there is nothing going on that weekend at Gateway. Last year, they held the normal racing Friday/Saturday night, but followed that up with "Black Sunday" the day after the Reunion.

Chevy454
12-11-2001, 10:51 PM
Denis:

Ok, I thought you were referring to another drag strip in the area when you said "racetrack"! So, what kind of "alternatives" did you have in mind? I don't know about you guys, but our Camaro isn't worth a darn in the corners on the Polys! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif It sure is fun coming out of corners though http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif!

Denis
12-11-2001, 11:09 PM
duh

[Edited by Denis (12-11-2001 at 06:09 PM).]

69sixpackbee
12-12-2001, 12:21 AM
in response to the dragstrips in the St. Louis area, besides Gateway, there is Wentzville and it is 45 miles west on highway
40/70 from Gateway, It is however an older track with dirt and gravel pits...

I had posted on 9-26-01 about a track rental that some of my Mopar buddies did, there were 20 guys that went in on it, cost was 600 bucks but there was another group also there that day which I sure helped hold the cost down. If you were to use the track it would probally have to be on Saturday in the morning since Gateway has a night program.
I haven't been on their web site lately to see if the 2002 schedule is posted , but I
will and will post here if the reunion date
is open on Sunday or Saturday.

Charley Lillard
12-12-2001, 05:17 AM
How much is it to rent the track ?

Chevy454
01-08-2002, 02:15 AM
Well, Bill (from Gateway) finally returned from vacation today, and called us first thing this morning. The news wasn't too promising http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif. We couldn't get the convention center on Labor Day again this year due to the world karate convention already booked for that weekend, so we had to move the Reunion back a bit. Well, that weekend at Gateway, they are holding "Black Sunday", which unlike the name would lead you to believe, is a 3 day event. But, Bill did say it was possible that we could possibly get some track time Sunday morning, if the promoter of the other event ok's it. So, that's where we are at...anyone else still interested in some track time?

COPO
01-09-2002, 10:43 PM
I came across this link regarding track rental. It is NOT for the Gateway track, but it does give you an idea of the cost of renting a dragstrip. Looked VERY reasonable to me. http://www.norwalkraceway.com/info/rental.html

TC
01-11-2002, 04:28 AM
This isn't a suggestion,just thinking out loud.

If the The Supercar Reunion and the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags,were combined.......Man would that be one COOL weekend!

Steven J
01-12-2002, 12:09 AM
Actually, that would be an excellent suggestion ! Too bad there isn't an indoor facility close by.

[Edited by Steven J (01-11-2002 at 07:09 PM).]