PDA

View Full Version : Red '70 Deuce

tom406
07-04-2001, 10:15 PM
It's no secret, but the red Barrett-Jackson 2001/NWYENKO Deuce is still available at the reduced price of $29,900. This car has sold at least 2 or 3 times before for this price (when the market was softer), so I'm not sure why its still here.

Here's the lowdown. The carb and heads are '70 LT1 items DATE CODED to the car. Intake is correct as well, but shows no date codes. Body is rust free, the mileage shows around 25K and I think is correct. The transmission is a Muncie 4 speed with a #...661 case, but no VIN#. The block is a correct #...0010 block, but has a "CE" stamping with 1973 date codes cast into it. It appears to have been a hobbyist drag car at one point and suffered a trimming of the transmission tunnel to accommodate the wrong shifter (still in it), and very minor trimming of the rear fender lips. The rearend is a 12 bolt, but has been welded and shows no codes stamped into it. New Wide Oval tires, freshly redone SS wheels, and a nicely detailed trunk. Good interior (floor rubber is a so-so repop), and nicely rubbed out, but imperfect paint. No power steering. Hood tach works(no guarantees on accuracy!) Runs and drives like an LT1 should.

Check it out at www.memorylanemotors.net (http://www.memorylanemotors.net) or call us at (206)575-1258. And unlike consignor NWYENKO, we actually have the space to take your trades. Late models, musclecars of all brands, or even the odd boat or motorhome will work, if necessary.

(Poor Jims herd of Yenkos and hipo Novas have overrun his garage and sent his Porsche and this Deuce packing. Help this unfortunate man and fulfill your Yenko urges with one simple purchase. Thank you for your support. Happy 4th of July everybody http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif )

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-05-2001, 01:43 PM
Wow! 'Poor and Unfortunate', with a 'Herd of Yenko's and HiPo Novas'??? I think that's a contradiction in terms!! I think I could handle that 'condition'.

Some additional info on this car; it is one of approx. 35 Cranberry Red cars produced, 24 4speeds, 11 automatics. Today, there are currently 16 Cran Red cars located, 13 are 4speeds. This particular car was originally sold out of Wallace Chev. in Linden, NJ - a suburb of New York City. It is recognized as the 70th car produced, and was asigned Yenko Stock Number 33. The car is in the first order of 125 cars placed by Yenko, and is one of of at least 6 '70 Yenko Novas sold out of Wallace. The car was a street racer in it's early days, and was purchased by a local business owner in the late '70's or early '80's. The business owner relocated to South Dakota quite some time ago. A few years ago, after a repaint/restripe, the owner put the car on a friends car lot to help him get some publicity. The owner was not really pushing to sell the car, and he ended up keeping it for another year or so. The car was then consigned to Mecum Auctions in Norther Illinois, and the car was 'finished up' by a local shop. An Iowa collector purchased the car at the next Mecum auction, he traded it for another '70 Yenko Nova, and it ended up at Duffy's in Iowa. A buyer came in with something to trade, and ended up with this car in the deal. He took the car to Barrett-Jackson a few months later, and Jim spied it!!

Overall, it looks like a nice car and a lot of fun.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Marlin

NWYENKO
07-10-2001, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the help Tom and Marlin. We just returned from the WCA, CCI event in Rohnert Park but will post info on that trip in another heading. If someone is interested in the Red deuce I am willing to help out with the shipping.

70 copo
07-17-2001, 02:57 AM
I was at the Barrett Jackson, and looked at the car really close-all day on the day of sale. The seller was not around for questions, getting despirate,I did find the paper work in the glove box about 5 minutes prior to the car running over the block when it was in line. The paper work did provide an honest discription of the car's flaws,( wrong block, ect..) but remained well hidden -until I placed it on the windshield. All of the people who followed the car swarmed the paperwork and promptly stood silently on stage while the two primary bidders in the audiance bid the car up and up. Looked like a low $20,000 car at that time.

Charley Lillard
07-17-2001, 04:53 AM
I get the feeling that the 20,000.00 Deuce has gone the way of the Dodo Bird. Not many Supercar type cars at that price anymore is there ? When I compare that one to the one that was on Ebay for I think the price was 15,000.00 ? The red one looks like a deal then.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-17-2001, 02:05 PM
The '70 Yenko Nova is still in it's 'discovery' stage as compared to the '69 Yenko Camaro, and people that attend an auction usually don't truly know what it is that they're looking at. With that level of knowledge base, anything incorrect will make them wait.

Most people that see a '70 Y-Nova at a show ask why it's not a 427 big block, and they also say that Yenko did not make Novas. My laminated Yenko SportsCars brochure is a quick primer for them. Just 4 years ago there were the same number of cars restored as there were in-process of restoration. Now, we have turned the corner, and the number of restored cars has increased dramatically which is why they are more prevelant at various car shows/events.

The values of the '70 Y-Novas has crept up steadily over the last 4-5 years, regardless of condition. It would difficult to purchase an authentic, running '70 Yenko Deuce Nova for less than $20,000 in this market. A car with some paperwork, restoration work, and running / driving is certainly higher than what the auction may have indicated. There are always at least 4-6 of these cars for sale at any given time, so we have a pretty good feel for the values, even if it takes a little time to sell.

tom406; the intake is dated on the underside, beneath the oil splash shield that is riveted right under the carb. As long as the intake is a '2110', it is considered to be the correct one and not the more common replacement part number.

Marlin

tom406
07-28-2001, 05:16 AM
Okay, with Jim's OK, we're getting down to the naysayer numbers: $27,500. That'll get it shipped about anywhere in the country for under $30K. Call us if interested.

tom406
08-13-2001, 04:28 PM
Car is SOLD. On the road back to IOWA to Yenko Valhalla....

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-17-2001, 02:48 PM
Gary Holub now owns it, again!!

02-23-2002, 02:49 AM
Car has sold again! Although it was not very correct, or heavily documented, it did bring the most money to date for a deuce. Hope that makes you feel better Jim about the blue deuce I sold you. That is a quality #'s match car with documentation.

tom406
02-23-2002, 03:36 AM
That red car brought in excess of $40K? White stripes add $15K+ to the value? I'm stunned. And you guys all said color changes were bad....

NWYENKO
02-23-2002, 02:15 PM
Dave, I am confused. Are you saying the red deuce brought in excess of $40k? I guess that is a good news, bad news thing for me!! I guess I should have held on longer (the bad news part), it makes the Blue Deuce look lik a LOT better deal (the good news part). Congrats to Gary if what you say is true. Gary and I got to meet and talk at the auctions in Az.which I thoroughly enjoyed. Tom, we need to talk about updating those appraisals!!!! Jim

[Edited by NWYENKO (02-23-2002 at 09:01 AM).]

[Edited by NWYENKO (02-23-2002 at 09:15 AM).]

tom406
02-24-2002, 01:45 AM
With all due respect to the new owner, I wouldn't appraise the red car for $40K unless somebody held a loaded gun to my head.

I will say that Mr. Holub is in a unique position to get that kind of coin. I think of it as the "halo" effect of a nice collection. When enough visitors are intoxicated by the quality and size of a desirable collection, a few people will pay up to get a piece of it, even if its one of the lesser players. (You and I have seen this phenomenon in effect locally, have we not, Jim?)

Finally, the conspiracy theorist in me has to ask if a third party can verify all this. After all, Marlin has named a theory after Mr. Holub about how every Yenko sale must be reported to be higher than the purchase price, whatever the reality. And it must be said that (yenko) supported this theory in that semi-nasty Yenko Deuce perceived-value thread a while back. This red Deuce was apparently becoming the black sheep of the Yenko Marketplace, with its last purchase reportedly occuring as a strategic buy to curtail public sales of Deuces at the "too low" price of $25K.

I hope my tone isn't too argumentative. I'm probably a little defensive, because this scenario makes it look like our dealership left our customer's money on the table.

So anyway, lets keep this thread constructive. If anyone needs to send me some hate mail, do it via the post office the way its supposed to be, on blank paper covered with letters cut out of magazines. (Not Muscle Car Review though, they don't make those anymore!)

02-24-2002, 03:52 AM
You are right TOM406, it does sound a little defensive. Whatever the reason, the car brought the coin. As far as a third person to verify sale price, I take that as an attack on my credibility. I actually helped you prepare to sell this car, and did hook Gary up with you for the sale. I also indicated your location, in my opinion, was not ideal. Timing is everything. The car was not even for sale when Gary sold it. No need to be sour and come up with allegations. I am simply making members aware of a transaction.

tom406
02-24-2002, 06:07 AM
I apologize for the challenge on your credibility, Dave. These barbed jabs are much easier in person than in the faceless confines of the internet. At any rate, this issue certainly isn't of enough consequence to get angry over, much less make enemies.

For the record, this whole "theory" business rubs me wrong. To me, there's only two answers to "How much did it sell for?" The actual price, and "NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS". Either is correct, and honorable, depending on the situation. I use them both, and I use them often, working for a dealer and all.

Anyway, Dave, if you are stating that any figure you're generous enough to share with the board is the real deal, I'll gladly accept that and lay off the "challenges". (And I believe the car wasn't actively "for sale", as that's the hands-down best way to minimize negotiations and maximize prices.)

I hope that takes care of my bad karma, and I can go to bed now.....

02-24-2002, 02:19 PM
I am in agreement Tom. Gary's collection does definitely add to any asking price. You get mesmerized, then go for your wallet! Been there, done that!