PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin Motion chevelles

mr454ss
02-27-2002, 02:09 AM
This question may have been asked before,but I am interested in the Baldwin Motion chevelles and I am curious about seeing all the 1970 chevelle die cast cars out there and have never seen one in any publications and was wondering if motion built any of these cars,as it would be hard to improve upon the ls-6 cars of 1970.Also what years did Motion build up any chevelles,I have seen a
"73" recently!

COPO
02-27-2002, 10:28 PM
A member of the site is currently having a '69 Baldwin Motion Chevelle restored. the '73 was previously advertised on the site for sale. Also there was a purported '67 BM Chevelle for sale on Ebay a couple of months back. Total basket case for $75K (didn't get any bids)

Needless to say, there weren't many built and fewer that survived.

rat tuned
02-28-2002, 03:05 PM
any info on BM chevelles seems to be difficult to get. the only info I can seem to get is old magazine articles.

JoeC
02-28-2002, 06:15 PM
I remember seeing Motion Chevelles (in magazines) every year from 1966 to 1973. Most of them didn't have custom Motion stripes.

JChlupsa
02-28-2002, 07:03 PM
aloha, not sure if this will help but theres a MB Dealer Catalog that is said to have all the info on what the cars had along with part numbers and such on E-bay right now. Reserve is something like $400.

Sorry my mistake its not a MB catolog its a Berger Chevrolet Chevy Parts Catalog --e-bay item 1808643762

Sorry

[Edited by HawaiianCamaro (02-28-2002 at 02:02 PM).]

[Edited by HawaiianCamaro (02-28-2002 at 02:03 PM).]

mr454ss
02-28-2002, 10:34 PM
What would you members think of building up a clone 70 Baldwin Motion chevelle,I would not try to sell or even show it as the real mccoy,but wonder what a organization like Super Chevy Show would think of such a car,I have the Black die cast with orange stripes and orange interior and it is real sharp looking car,I owned 2- 454 ss chevelles recently and am looking to restore something a little different this time around,what do you think!!

COPO
03-01-2002, 12:29 AM
My personal opinion is I generally don't like clones. That being said, I do understand and can appreciate the fact that not everyone is fortunate enough to have the means to purchase the real McCoy, so it is more of a personal choice. If I owned a clone, I think that I would get tired of the "is it real" question.

Stefano
03-01-2002, 02:00 AM
I have real cars and clones and get just as many 'is it real?'questions on both.
Can I still post if I admit that I am Super Car less?

mr454ss
03-01-2002, 10:54 PM
But if Motion didn't build any of these cars,what could it hurt,I just want to have something everyone else does not have,a modified 70 chevelle ss with the motion look with a 502/502 fuel injection,the means is not the problem,the problem is no such car to buy!!

tom406
03-02-2002, 03:34 AM
I'm down with restomods done in a style that appeals to you , whether its Yenko/Motion/Shelby or whatever. That's kind of the best of both worlds: gets you a car you've always wanted, but modern performance. Plus there's no appearance of forgery. I'm kind of mystified when people clone something and get down to casting numbers, dates, etc. Or do it to "concourse" level. It makes no sense, building a perfect and correct fake (oxymoron) and invariably ends up costing as much or more than the real deal.

But a Motion styled 502 EFI '70 SS Chevelle with Global West or H-O suspension and 12" brakes sounds like a ball to me. I think some of the new 17" Cragar S/S would add to the outlandish Motion style and add a modern bent as well.

mr454ss
03-02-2002, 03:45 AM
Tom 406 keep the ideas coming ,that sounds way cool!!A pro touring rocket that will corner like a vette!

Joe Y
03-02-2002, 06:35 AM
Sounds similar to the path that I'm starting.

I'm doing a 68 Yenko chevelle clone. I was going to make it a Dick Harrell built car, found emblems, but didn't want to pay $400 for pitted crap. I still might end up fabricating sheet metal "hood scoops" like the custom fiberglass hood found on the Harrell car featured in MCR and ACES. (I have tons of personal footage of the car from the Shoney's parking lot at last years ACES nationals)

Anyway, I'm starting on the tall spindle 12" disk brake conversion next month, with all polygraphite frontend and regular poly body bushings and rear suspension. For rear suspension, I have tubular control arms with adjustable uppers. I have a '69 factory 4.10 posi 12 bolt that I'm thinking of having the end caps cut off and installing strange axels with ford hybrid ends, ending in disk brakes (either from a caddy or explorer).

For motivation, I'm still undecided if I'm going to go with a 427 or a 454. This will be mated to a richmond 5 speed. I'll have to change the rear gear down to a 3.08 or something along those lines do the richmonds steep first gear. I'm trying to stay away from the tremec 5 speed.

I don't see the hype about EFI though, a big block is still going to get the MPG of a big block. If I was going to do something exotic with the induction, I'd do a twin turbo setup.

As for wheels, I can only dream they'd make 17" torque thrust "d" in the correct bolt pattern, but until then, I'm using these. (http://www.mooneyes.com/Smoothie.html)

Anyway, goodluck with the BM clone, would like to see pics of your progress!

[Edited by Joe Y (03-02-2002 at 01:35 AM).]

NWYENKO
03-02-2002, 01:36 PM
So Tom, being "down with" something is good? While being "down on" something is bad? Just trying to educate myself on the jargon used by you YOUNGER guys!! Also I don't want Charley to get confused and start trouble with you!!!LOL Jim

rat tuned
03-02-2002, 01:53 PM
i have an older musclecars magazine in which there is a 1968 motion chevelle. the hood looks like a ss hood with the 67 bb vette scoop molded on. it had stock 68 ss stripes and side pipes with torq thrust rims. i thought the car looked killer. car also has ss 427 emblems of an impala i believe.

Joe Y
03-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Hmm, I'm wondering if those emblems were the regular impala emblems or an earlier '68 ss427 emblem used. I'm planning on using the impala emblems, although I have a set of 3 427 emblems with the bar underneath already. I'd rather go with a more year correct emblem though so I'll probably end up trading/selling the ones I currently have.

If you have a scanner, I'd love to see that article!

JoeC
03-02-2002, 04:07 PM
If that is the same 68 Motion Chevelle I am thinking of it was black with stock red stripe? Motion used the Impala 427 emblems on 66 to 69 Chevelles. I found a pic of a 70 Motion Chevelle on my computer. I believe it was in the Otis Chandler collection but not sure where it is now.

http://members.aol.com/yenkochevelles69/images/motio70v.jpg

tom406
03-03-2002, 04:20 AM
I'm happy to keep you relatively current on slang terms, Jim. I knew there was a reason I liked this board - at 32 I'm considered one of the "young" guys. My slang is only about 10 years old. If I broke out the two year old slang terms, I'd have said "I'm all about restomods done with classic styling...". I don't know what the current slang is, though. I didn't take any notes when I watched "The Fast and the Furious" on DVD last night.

I shouldn't think about this Chevelle thing much more, I've already got too many projects, plus a 3 year old boy. But I keep seeing those Bill Mitchell 540HP 509 crate engines in the Jeg's catalog and think, "what could I do with one of those..."

Belair62
03-03-2002, 11:47 PM
All this talk about 12 inch brakes is going to get Charlie down on it...he is probably gittin jiggy wid it right now.

mr454ss
03-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Nice to finally see a picture,I take it this is a real Baldwin Motion 70,I would think it would have 15"torque thrust wheels,not the ss wheels,I guess someone said earlier 70's came without the special stripe package? What side pipes are they using,66 vette? My observation at Super Chevy in the modified classes,the judges like to see efi and or mini blowers,doesn't seem like cars with the old carb on them doesn't get as good a score.They like the resto mods these days,they want to see old chevys with new car technology!! Keep the pictures coming!!

JBB
03-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Mr. Joel Roesen is still in Baldwin N.Y.,
and is still selling parts for cars. I don't have his phone #, but I am sure it can be found in directory assistance..........

whitetop
03-25-2002, 01:47 PM
mR454SS
You mentioned you want something no one else has..Have you thought about building a "Day 2" type of car. This is a car using all period correct speed parts from the era-early style Lakewood traction bars, Cragars or slots, Sun Gauges, etc
A very popular trend among the street rodders right now is building '50 and '60's style Hot Rods with Flatheads, wide whitewall tires etc. I think this trend is going to go over big with the muscle car crowd down the road. Why? The current trends with street machines are changing every 2-3 years. As soon as you build a car with all the latest parts it is already dated. The magazines are pushing these new trends to help their advertisers sell parts. A muscle car, just like a '50''60's style Hot Rod, with the day 2 trend will always be in style.

The magazine editor of either Street Rodder or Rod & Custom in this months issue said the Nostalgia cars are the ones the spectators are flocking to see at shows. They are waking right past the hi-tech stuff.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (03-25-2002 at 08:47 AM).]

micky69396
03-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Whitetop, I have recieved several phone calls at my shop to do this sort of car (day2). I would like to see some more done like this. There seems to be a new trend of people wanting to do cars nice but actually drive them somewhat and have some fun with them instead of sitting beside them in a lawn chair.

[Edited by micky69396 (03-25-2002 at 11:47 AM).]

whitetop
03-26-2002, 05:49 AM
Mickey
The nice thing about Day 2 is the car is still mostly stock with simple bolt on parts(wheels, valve covers etc). There is also the fun challenge of looking for correct early parts at swaps, ebay etc.
Today, the average street rodder(pre '49 crowd) is probably 53-56 years old or older. I would venture to say the average musclecar owner is in their 40's. The nostalgia trend with street rodders really took off about 5-7 years ago and is getting bigger every year with no end in sight. Shops that used to build hi-tek cars are now building nostalgia cars.The number one reason why these cars are being built is the owners are saying it is taking them back to their youth-when life was less stressful etc. Generally nostalgia pangs start hitting people in their mid to late '40's (according to some of the antiques/collectibles stats). Whatever the cause the nostalgia thing is hitting the srodders like a freight train.

I think the Day 2 trend will hit the musclecar segment in 5-8 years maybe earlier. Of course some people like myself are starting early.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (03-25-2002 at 12:49 PM).]