PDA

View Full Version : Decoding / Identify valve covers... Motion?

tommy454
01-05-2001, 09:41 PM
Hi, I am new to this site. A friend said you may be of some help. I have what "appears" to be a set of N.O.S. big block chevy Motion valve covers. They are cast aluminum with "CHEVROLET 739" on the inside of the cover. I had no luck tracing these casting numbers; any help would be greatly appreciated.

JoeC
01-06-2001, 12:13 AM
tommy454 - Do your valve covers have the Motion emblems on them?
there is a picture on this ebay ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=536225595

[Edited by JoeC (01-05-2001 at 07:13 PM).]

COPO
01-06-2001, 02:41 PM
I have a NOS set of these w/the Motion emblems, but there are no numbers anywhere.

MrMotion
01-07-2001, 02:22 AM
I also have a period correct set with the Motion emblems in the insert area of the valve cover and stamped chevrolet 739 on the inside.

COPO
01-08-2001, 05:47 AM
Weren't these only used on the '70 and newer cars? I have a bunch of road test from CARS magazines and I haven't seen any or the 69's and earlier.

MrMotion
01-09-2001, 01:33 AM
I have the 1969 Hi-peperformance Cars Mag and the Motion catologue ad shows these valve covers with their Ram air induction system.In the Martyn L. Schorr book " Chevrolet the Performance Years" pages 55-62, SS-427 emblems on Chrome valve covers are standard equipment.I believe the finned covers were offered as optional install or over the counter for dress up or conversions and through catologue sales.

whitetop
01-09-2001, 01:08 PM
Mr Motion, I have never seen the SS427 emblem on the later style valve covers that is in the above picture. I have seen the SS427 emblem on the the Cal Custom covers that Joel used in the late '60's. I feel the later style covers did not come out until very early '70's or that is when Joel starting using them.
whitetop

COPO
01-09-2001, 01:25 PM
I think Mr. Motion is saying the chrome valve covers w/the "SS 427" emblems were standard and beginning in 1969 the finned aluminum ones w/the motion emblem (as shown in the picture) were available as an extra cost option. I haven't personally seen the finned aluminum ones on a '69 car, but if they are in the '69 motion catalog it seems logical that perhaps some had them. It appears beginning in 1970 the finned polished aluminum covers became the "standard" cover.

rbernat
01-10-2001, 12:20 AM
i believe if there ever was a standard for valve covers it had to be late 69.i have seen many styles on phase three and non phase three cars.like copo i have yet to see the polished finned valve covers on a pre70 car.my phase three 69 nova came with m/t valve covers and the biscayne with the standard chrome units.i have seen the ad showing the chrome units with ss-427 script.i believe that was for promotion only.
rich

sixtiesmuscle
01-10-2001, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure we're talking about the TWO different finned aluminum styles that existed. The Cal Custums [without the rectangular boss in the middle] seem to have been used[ with or without the SS427 Impala emblems] pre '70. The ones with the Motion emblems [or stickers] in the middle seem to have been used after. They also used M/T and stock Chevy valve covers too. One thing we have to remember about Motion is not to expect to be able to say they "always" or "never" did something a certain way. That's what's so great about it, in my opinion. If all Yenkos were essentially the same, all Motion cars seem to have been a little different.

MrMotion
01-12-2001, 11:13 AM
From my source, the original owner. When the conversion was done, in mid 1968 it took three days and only the new L72 short block was used. The original chrome valve covers were on the engine and the finned valve covers were available for purchase or installation and the Motion inserts for the valve covers were available as were the fender emblems.The standard is what is beleived to be the SS-427 emblems on the chrome valve covers only if you purchases thier engine packages, and is stated in their advertisments.

whitetop
01-19-2001, 08:32 PM
Don't pay too much for those covers. They are still available new by CP Products (in ca.). They are the same ones that Joel used(s)I bought mine from Chrome-It, a distributor in PA for $89.00 3 years ago. Chrome It goes to all the major swap meets. I do not have their number. Mine have the 739 on the inside cover also. CP has been making these same exact covers for 35+ years. CP also made these covers as a subcontractor for many years to other companies (Mr Gasket, NRS etc)that would have their logo cast in the square center section. I also have a set that have the NRS(Nationwise Rod Shop) logo in them and they also have the Chevrolet 739 in them.The ones I bought from Chrome-It do not have any logo in the center.

[Edited by whitetop (01-19-2001 at 03:32 PM).]