PDA

View Full Version : Why a white bottom?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-12-2001, 08:31 PM
I am curious why the old time drag/street racers painted the undersides of their cars white. I know that Don Fezell's Strickler Z11 is white, and some Yenko Novas were painted white as well. I had heard that it was for heat dissapation?? Is this true? If so, how?
Marlin

JoeC
02-12-2001, 08:56 PM
A light color will reflect more heat, but I have read that some people would paint the underside white so an oil or fuel leak would be more visible. The white may also have been done for "style" back in the day.

68l30
02-12-2001, 09:47 PM
I read somewhere (MCR interview with Jenkins ?) that the Strickler car was painted to easily find cracks in the frame and suspension.

Mr70
02-12-2001, 10:07 PM
I know Bob Hamilton's 1970 Drag Chevelle "Red Alert" had the engine block painted Yellow so any oil leaks would be easily visible.

Belair62
02-12-2001, 10:39 PM
68 I read the same thing years ago....Strickler etc. used white paint to make frame cracks more noticeable.Makes sense too.Not that a 62 frame would EVER crack.Much too tough for that !

Chevy454
02-12-2001, 10:57 PM
There is a local truck puller here that is also in old Chevys, who insists on painting his driveshafts, and recommended it to me...it makes it a lot easier to tell if it's twisted or cracked.

68l30
02-13-2001, 04:16 PM
I've seen the same thing with axle shafts,thet will twist sometimes 180 degrees!Thats torque!Anyone else gone to the old school?

bowtie3168
02-13-2001, 08:16 PM
Marlin,
I asked Bill Jenkins that same question at the "Mopar Parts Nationals" a few years ago. Mr. Jenkins told me that they did it so that they could work on the car easier while match racing. He said that when they would match race at some "back wood" tracks there would be little or no lighting, when the underside was white a small light would increase visability greatly. Bill also told me some of the "tricks" that they would use to stay ahead: they used a generator instead of a alternator, they would switch the generator off during the run and switch it on right after. The car had one airbag inside of one of the rear coil springs. Dave Strickler's Z-11 is thought to be #1, its aluminum hood has an unpainted underside.
Andrew

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-13-2001, 08:26 PM
The responses are very interesting! I wish there were still old back woods tracks operating today. I am tired of waiting 4 hours on grudge night to get two runs in!
M

02-14-2001, 05:11 AM
My Dad's 70-1/2 E/Stock Camaro had the firewall, bottom of the hood, and the underbody painted white for various reasons but mainly it was to reflect light. Some tracks he visited had very poor lighting at night, and when using only a drop light to work under the car, the light color allowed more light under the car as opposed to a dark color. (the car was a factory black car)The inside of the trunk and underdash were also painted white for the same reasons. He also painted the fuel tank white, so while sitting in those long staging lanes that were blacktopped, Bristol specifically, the white paint would reflect the heat from the pavement. Thus keeping the fuel cooler than if the tank was black. Just thought I would throw my two cents worth into this......Rat Pack...