PDA

View Full Version : 1969 yenko chevelle

mike d
04-25-2001, 11:10 PM
A friend of mine has come across a 1969 YENKO Chevelle, or so the owner said. What's confusing about this car is that it has a steering column for an automatic, there's the place on it for the column shifter but the shifter arm is not there. It's an automatic car, it has the automatic shifter with the console. Did YENKO build the car like this? Maybe the column was replaced? Has anyone seen YENKOS like this or is something wrong?

MikeA
04-26-2001, 12:40 AM
I think '70 Yenko Novas have the same type of setup on the column. The shifter was relocated to the floor and the only modification to the column was to remove the shift arm.

mike d
04-26-2001, 02:28 AM
Thanks Mike A, I talked to a local Camaro restoration guy in my area and he said that "yes, they removed the column shifter and installed the floor shifter and left the column as is." You learn something new every day! Thanks again.

JoeC
04-26-2001, 04:59 AM
Some TH400 Yenko Chevelle column shift cars had a Hurst Duel Gate shifter installed by Yenko, some were left with the column shift, and some had the factory floor shift and console. I have not heard of any with a factory floor shift console that were converted from a column shift car. The Yenkos with the Hurst shifter will still have the column shift bracket on the column but of course no shift arm.

mike d
04-26-2001, 05:47 AM
Thanks JoeC, I guess I'll have to do some more investigating! I haven't looked at the car yet, but it's my understanding that it has a console, so it must have the factory floor shifter.