PDA

View Full Version : 2 Atlas??

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-19-2001, 03:14 PM
Can someone tell me if the two wheels in the bottom row in this picture are Atlas mags? There is no name on them anywhere. The other two are American Racing's Torq Thrusts.
M

Will try the pics again....

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (09-19-2001 at 10:14 AM).]

bbdon
09-19-2001, 07:03 PM
The images don't seem to be working in this section of the board, but they do work on the main section. They don't woek for me either, I just tried. Maybe the rules are set up differently between the two board sections?
But the url command does seem to work, so just use that for now.

http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/w1.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/w2.jpg

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-19-2001, 07:23 PM
bbdon;
What is the syntax for the 'URL' link that you used?
M

bbdon
09-19-2001, 07:42 PM
I just cut and pasted the lines from your post, then substituted "url" and "/url" for "img", and "/img" (without the quotation marks) in the brackets. I think that the forum moderator can enable or disable images as he sees fit, and the default forum setup is probably disabled, to prevent abuse. Otherwise people would be posting dogcrap pictures. We wouldnt want that.

JoeC
09-19-2001, 11:40 PM
look to the left it says .........

*HTML is OFF
*UBB Code is ON
Smilies Legend
[IMG] UBB Code Not Allowed

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-20-2001, 05:22 AM
http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/w1.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/w2.jpg

$@*%#@#@!!!!!
why won't it work, bbdon??????

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (09-19-2001 at 12:22 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-20-2001, 06:22 PM
So, any Atlas wheel experts that can tell me if two of those wheels are Atlas? I have seen lots of these types of wheels, but 90% of them have a mfg. symbol on the back. Keystones, Superiors, Ansens, A.Racing, ect... I think Atlas wheels do not have their name cast into the back, only an 'Aa' centercap. Atlas or??? (Whitetop, this should be easy for you!!!!!)
M

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-20-2001, 06:31 PM
I think (hope) they look like this, with the sharp spoke design...
M

http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/gbprog1.jpg

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (09-20-2001 at 01:31 PM).]

Rat_Pack
09-20-2001, 06:43 PM
Marlin, those look identical to a set of M/T mags that I have. They are a two piece steel and aluminum wheel. The spokes and front wheel lip seem to have been welded to a steel rim. That is what the backs look like from your pictures........RatPack.......

Belair62
09-20-2001, 09:19 PM
Marlin,you need to show better pics of front and back of wheel.....

JoeC
09-21-2001, 03:34 AM
I believe the Atlas wheels have a really deep counter bore for the lug nuts. *****edited ****
On second thought, After Tom B reminded me of the picture in the Yenko interview MCR article, The lug nuts c-bore does not look so deep on that original picture of the Atlas wheel.

[Edited by JoeC (09-20-2001 at 10:34 PM).]

Belair62
09-21-2001, 08:04 PM
I know there were Japanese Torq-Thrust copies that had a deep counter bore.Probably due to inconsistent foundry work I would imagine.These wheels may have nothing or some may have Japan stamped on the back.

Rat_Pack
09-21-2001, 09:46 PM
I have a set of the Japan copies of Torque Thrusts and they are a one piece cast aluminum wheel. They have Japan cast below one of the spokes on the back of the wheel. They do have a deeper counter bore than most of the Torque Thrusts I have which may be due to the inconsistencies between the spokes.

This set of wheels that Marlin has are not a one piece wheel, they are two piece steel and aluminum. You can see where they are welded on the backside. I am pretty sure these are the Mickey Thompson wheels or possibly another brand as there were two or three companies that made these exact same wheels. I think Crestline Mfg in California was one of them............RatPack............

Belair62
09-22-2001, 01:23 AM
Finally able to open pics...I had a set of 2 piece keystones but they had logo in the back..very similar to the upper pair of wheels..I assume the bottom pair are different and are 1 piece cast.RatPack...the 2 piece look like the type that have an aluminum face welded to the steel wheel ...not just the spokes. Keystone made some like that.I have some M/T Rader wheels from 1965 that have the center spoke section riveted in.Alsoquite a few Sears wheels made by M/T that are built the same with rivets. Tom Billigen...can you determine if the one piece set Marlin has are Atlas ?

[Edited by Belair62 (09-21-2001 at 08:23 PM).]

T Billigen
09-22-2001, 02:51 AM
From looking at the back of the posted mags, I would say they are not Atlas wheels. Where the spoke and the hub meet seem much beefier than on the Atlas wheels, In my opinion the Atlas wheels are poorly designed and may be even dangerous at high speeds! I sent Joe C. some pictures maybe we can get him to post them.

Charley Lillard
09-22-2001, 05:12 AM
How are they welding Aluminum to Steel ?

Belair62
09-22-2001, 02:00 PM
Beats the hell out of me Chas. It's hard to have any of the 2 piece wheels restored too. Stockton wheel doesn't even want to look at the riveted ones. Whitetop...weren't the early Cragars 2 piece welded also ? Aluminum spokes and chrome steel wheel ?

JoeC
09-22-2001, 06:11 PM
Here are Tom's pics of his Atlas wheels

http://members.aol.com/hotjob57679/images/atlas2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/hotjob57679/images/atlas4.jpg

Belair62
09-22-2001, 09:13 PM
Thanks for posting those Tom/JoeC...I see what you mean about safety comment Tom...not much meat on those spokes..very unusual offset too.I was poking thru the April/May 95 MCR mag..doesnt look like any of the cars shown actually have real Atlas wheels even though they report them as such.They look like they are probably the re-pop "D" wheels judging by the spokes.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-24-2001, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. When I receive the wheels from the guy I bought them from, I will be able to look at them closer. I had to buy all 4 to get the two unmarked wheels to go along with the other two that I already have. It would have been much easier if Atlas had just cast their name into the back!!
M

whitetop
09-24-2001, 04:02 PM
Cragar SS wheels have always had an aluminum center section with a steel rim and both pieces welded together. I just received my restored Cragar SS back from Stockton Wheel. They had to take the wheels apart, replate the rim and center section separtely (cannot put in same plating tank) and then reweld just like originally done.
Dave

whitetop
09-24-2001, 07:50 PM
Marlin
Most of the popular sizes(14x6, 14x7, 15x6 etc) of Cragars available today are about the same as the old ones other than major changes in cap and lug nut area. Where you see the major diff are the 15x4, 15x8,15x10 and the reverse(deep dish) ones. The old Cragars where either direct bolt pattern or used a varifit plate that is similar to the unlilug design today but incorporated a recessed washer area. Early caps are quite a bit different than the new ones. The new ones have a much more of a rounded edge, letttering is slightly different, has a large registration symbol on the face and the blue paint is much darker and more candy than the originals turquiose. Most people would not know the difference anyhow. If you put a new one up against an early cap they are like night and day though.

Notice on the 15x4's the "fat" area at the edge of the spokes, where it connects to the rim. The old style used a "wider" steel rim while it is reversed on the new kind and the aluminum spoke is now wider and stubbier and the steel rim is not as wide.It is just reversed(see pics) The spoke on a new 15x4 is not as long as than early 15x4. I talked with a person at Cragar some years ago and the reason they beefed up this area was the early ones would crack in this area. All Cragars have a date code stamped on the inside of the rim. My Mustang was built in '74 and it was kinda neat to see the date codes of Feb and March '74 when I took off the tires. I will post in the near future the rims and the job Stockton did restoring them. (GREAT A++)
Dave

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1314220&a=9759268&p=54474537

[Edited by whitetop (09-24-2001 at 02:50 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-25-2001, 05:18 AM
Whitetop;
How do you tell a model specific Cragar from the generic ones? What style/types were available in '70
M

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-28-2001, 04:56 PM
Whitetop;
Received the wheels yesterday, haven't had a chance to look at them yet! I will look for a 'japan' casting, among other things.
Thanks,
M