PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Yenko Camaro Stripe Placement

Stefano
10-23-2001, 11:58 PM
I would like to know the correct placement for the Yenko Camaro Stripe kit. I have observed many different applications.

Did Yenko have a standardized set of directions? My stripe kit has no directions.
Any help and info will be appreciated.

COPO
10-24-2001, 12:20 AM
Welcome to the site. Many of the stripes on the original Yenkos were applied by kids working during the summers at Yenko Chev. Needless to say, each was a bit different. There is no "standard" instructions that I am aware of. Perhaps the best course of action is to visit some car shows and look through old magazines to get a better idea of the proper placement. Do you own a Yenko Camaro?

Stefano
10-24-2001, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I have been researching the stripes, at car shows and in pictures, just as you suggested.

I have seen two different kits. One has a one peice quarter pannel stripe, while others such as mine have two quarter peices. Which stripe overlaps the other? ect... ect...?

I have a Douglas COPO,which was delivered from Douglas Chevrolet, with complete Yenko stripes and badges.

The car was repainted, and I want to replace the stripes as correctly as possible.

bkhpah
10-24-2001, 01:14 AM
The Douglas/Yenko clone COPO's are an interesting twist to the story. What color is you COPO?...BKH

Stefano
10-24-2001, 01:35 AM
Mine is 'Daytona', Yellow/ Yellow.

Please share your information regarding the Douglas COPOs w/Yenko stripes.

bkhpah
10-24-2001, 12:12 PM
I have only heard of the Yenko striped COPO from Douglas. Is your car a 9737 COPO as well? From what I understand Douglas was striping his cars as Yenko's without permission. Any optional equippement on your car?...BKH

Mr70
10-24-2001, 01:03 PM
Welcome
Nice to see a fellow Illinoian!
Jack Douglas Chevrolet is (was) down the street from me.I too am looking for any local area COPO striped Yenko cars.I don't know your answer to your stripe question but any posted pictures of it?

Stefano
10-24-2001, 02:57 PM
I wasn't at Douglas Chevrolet in 1969 and I Currently have no pictoral documentation to support my info.

I have however,spoken to Jack Douglas on numerous occassions, as well as other fellow enthusiasts & Douglas COPO owners, who also support his claims.

I do have a letter signed by Douglas stating that He was the Authorized Yenko Distributor for Illinois and Wisconsin and that he striped and badged this car when new.

Douglas also states, that all his COPO Camaros were stripped with authorization and permission from Yenko. This is an interesting story itself. ( How else would he have readily obtained the stripe and badge kits, remember this was 1969 ).

The car has the 9737 sports car conversion package, X-11 D80 , am-fm blue dot 4 speaker stereo, bright pedal trim w/wood accents on the steering wheel and radio, with passenger grab handle and Glove Box lighting package.

It also has the Endura Bumper Option.

The COPO also has the butchered remains of an original chambered exhaust system.

I will scan some pics. once the stripes have been installed.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-24-2001, 03:18 PM
I believe the stripe kits were a standard YENKO catalog item, page 36, MSRP; Camaro/Chevelle/Nova/Deuce $86.50.
M

Stefano
10-24-2001, 03:49 PM
Good point.What is the print date of the catalogue?

The stripes were available immediately through the parts department,in early 1969.

The point is, that Douglas did indeed get the stripe and badge Kit directly from Yenko Chevrolet.

Douglas supported the marketing concept behind the Yenko Cars, which included the distinctive stripes and badges.

It was only after he discovered that the cars could be built with the special COPO numbers, that he put in his own direct factory orders.

He individually handled all fleet and Special orders at his dealership.

COPO
10-24-2001, 10:39 PM
Here's a link that might interest you regarding the Douglas COPO's http://www.copo.com/L72-VIN-69-Douglas-Camaro.htm

copo69
10-25-2001, 02:11 AM
That's interesting.... a Dover White car. Could Douglas have added stripes to cars that were not in Yenko's color scheme?

Stefano
10-25-2001, 06:57 AM
COPO69:
According to Jack Douglas, he did not sell any COPO Camaros without the Yenko stripes and Badges. Since he was placing the orders direct, there was no restriction on color and most options.

JoeC
10-25-2001, 07:20 AM
Did Douglas Chevy add the Hurst Duel gate shifter to the TH400 cars? Did he sell any COPO Chevelles?

NWYENKO
10-25-2001, 02:20 PM
Could the Dover White car be the one of interest in the first issue of Chevy Rumble magazine?? Owner claimed it was a Yenko.

Kurt S
10-25-2001, 04:24 PM
I've also heard that Douglas striped the cars as Yenkos with Don's approval. Douglas was in the Yenko network, sold some of the Yenkos from PA, and bought the stripe kits.
But I didn't know that all Douglas COPO's were striped.
Reputedly, there are some original paint Douglas Yenkos out there.

[Edited by Kurt S (10-25-2001 at 11:24 AM).]

Stefano
10-25-2001, 07:47 PM
NWYENKO:
'Chevy Rumble' I am not familiar. Please provide info on the magazine and the car, if you can.

Thanks

sixtiesmuscle
10-25-2001, 07:55 PM
I don't agree with the contention that ALL Douglas COPOs got Yenko stripes. I just met with a good friend who bought a COPO Camaro from Douglas with sports car conversion package and "hockey stick" stripe. I am looking at a picture of it when new as I type. He remembers pretty well how there was a line of cars, including Camaros, Chevelles, and Novas infront of the dealership. All you had to do was pick a color. He was offered a choice of the Yenko version, or the one he bought, with a $400 premium placed on the Yenko. When I spoke with Jack Douglas about a year ago, he told me that $400. was what he had to pay Yenko for the stripes & badges in order to have Don Yenko approve his making up his own official Yenkos. Since he was the authorized agent, and the cars were identical as if they had come from Yenko, why shouldn't they do it. It worked for both parties. I know there is resistance to consider these cars "real" because they didn't pass through PA., but certainly there should be some value placed on these cars over a similar, "regular" COPO. They clearly are not "clones" in the sense that the word is used today. We have discussed this issue before, but, as new info arises, it is worthy of new discussion. IMO, if somebody can verify that a car was SOLD NEW by Douglas as a bonified Yenko Camaro, that car deserves to be striped & badged. It needs to be considered as a "DOUGLAS YENKO" but, the original owner [and every owner since] had/has a right to view it as the way the car was sold. Douglas didn't say "Oh, you don't need to buy a REAL Yenko. We'll just make you up a clone right here" They sold him a YENKO CAMARO, and he paid the extra for it. If that makes the figures for "real" cars fuzzy, so be it. I think it adds an interesting twist to the whole Yenko Story. Heck, since I own one, it might make them worth MORE because they're so rare. LOL

Stefano
10-25-2001, 09:22 PM
Sixtiesmuscle:
I also want to document the way these cars left Douglas Chevrolet. The body of Knowledge and info. on all COPO vehicles is limited, especially the L-72 Dealer cars.

A standard needs to be applied as to the definition of a Yenko COPO Camaro.

For Example: For 1969 Camaros, The definition could be as simple as one of the 198 factory documented Camaros ordered directly by Yenko Chevrolet.

Belair62
10-25-2001, 09:36 PM
JoeC...Ed Cunnneens list shows 4 Jack Douglas sold Yenko Chevelles....

NWYENKO
10-25-2001, 09:53 PM
Stefano, see the thread 06/01 2001 "Chevy Rumble" on this site. Sorry, don't know how to make it clickable!!

Stefano
10-25-2001, 09:57 PM
Douglas states that he remembers selling at least one COPO Chevelle, other than the Yenkos he sold.

Does anyone have any info. to support this?

Mr70
10-25-2001, 11:17 PM
There is a local man here who is claiming to be the original owner of a Douglas 1969 Chevelle.He said it was specialy ordered by Jack himself.We are only 5 miles from the Old Jack Douglas Dealership location,so I went to see it......It was just an SS special painted Daytona Yellow. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif But still nice.

Stefano
10-25-2001, 11:49 PM
I just tried the search function ( works great). It seems that the Douglas Chevelle, Camaro, Stripe thread is an old one.

Stefano
10-25-2001, 11:52 PM
mr70:
I really like Daytona Yellow, is the Chevelle for sale? You did say it was a true SS.

Mr70
10-26-2001, 12:16 AM
He won't sell it.Sentimental reasons overall.I met him at a local Carshow.It is a 1969 Chevelle SS sold new from Jack Douglas Chevrolet in Hinsdale Il.

Stefano
10-27-2001, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the info COPO. I am familiar with Mr. Cunneen's Copo Connection and Web sight.

The COPO Connection has been a valuable source of info and documentation. In fact, I found this link on their Web sight.

I have also worn out several Key pads e-mailing Mr. Cunneen.

Thanks for your help, Ed.

[Edited by Stefano (10-27-2001 at 11:45 AM).]

Stefano
10-27-2001, 07:51 PM
D90 vs Yenko Stripes:
Based on all the info. provided by members and other Douglas COPO owners it seems certain that COPOs left Douglas Chevrolet With Yenko stripes and Badges.

The questions remain;which cars recieved the Kit and was Douglas authorized to sell these cars as Yenkos?

A COPO Camaro ordered with D90 Stripping was destined to leave that dealership ,in the striped fashion.

Remember, these stripes were painted on the fenders and taped to the doors. While dealers have been known, to do just about anything to sell a car, removing these stripes would be very counter productive and costly.

Douglas states that his information regarding the Double COPO option came from shipping invoices found in two of the 'Yenko Camaros'shipped to his Dealership.

He makes no qualms about copying and utilizing Yenko's marketing plan. Could it be, that Double COPOs were set up as authorized Yenko's and that Single COPOs were sold as non sports car conversion, D 90 striped cars(more than $500.00 less cost).

It would seem very inconsistant for a dealer to order two competing vehicles and have one with a higher price tag ,at a lower profit margin.

[Edited by Stefano (10-27-2001 at 02:51 PM).]