PDA

View Full Version : BALDWIN-MOTION

IRONCLAD
01-29-2002, 12:36 AM
MOTION CARS HAD DUAL HOLLEY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS IN THE TRUNK; HOW DID THEY CUT OFF THE STOCK FUEL PUMP ON THE BLOCK?

ANYONE KNOW WHERE THOSE 3 TIER SPOILERS CAME FROM (CUSTOM MADE FOR MOTION? BY WHO?)

HOW DID THEY MATE THOSE 427SS EMBLEMS TO THE VALVE COVERS? I WOULD THINK THE HEAT WOULD DISSOLVE ANY GLUE?

THANKS AGAIN

BM71vega
01-29-2002, 01:54 AM
Ok for the stock fuel pump pull out the gas pump shaft and the put a block-off plate,and the ss427 that was screw in by in side,the spoiles i dont no sorry,i hope this help you.

PxTx
01-29-2002, 03:11 AM
The pumps I have seen were made by Autopulse. Motion would re-badge them as Phase III.

These Autopulse pumps were identical to the Dupree ones of the same vintage- at least mechanically. I think that each may have had the manufacturer's name cast in the aluminum housing.

They are a bellows type pump- or is that describing the regulator? They were often called tandem or duplex pumps. The parent company of both Dupree and Autopulse is Walbro.

If you are going for the look, JC Whitney sells a bellows type pump that is 12 V and has a similar feel, but will not support high HP.

I believe I have some old literature on a Motion installation of these pumps. I'll try and dig 'em out in the next day or so.

Paul

whitetop
01-29-2002, 03:16 PM
I have actually seen in old pics that Motion used Holley, Stewart-Warner, Dupree etc fuel pumps. Probably a combination of what was handy, priced right, trick of the week or customer preferance.
I think alot of this had to do when the parts were issued. Motion used Mallory distributors etc almost exclusively until early '70's because that was the only company for the most part ofering these products out there. Accel came out with their ignition parts in late '68 early'69 and good competition 30100T model distributor in early '70. I've seen some of the later Motion cars with Accel components. Not sure though if they later were added by other owners. John Scanilli's red/white Camaro has an early Accel Distributor for instance.
Dave

IRONCLAD
01-30-2002, 11:40 PM
GENTLEMEN:

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT. I FINALLY FOUND OUT WHAT TYPE OF EMBLEM THAT WAS ON THE VALVE COVERS; NOW I REALIZE THAT THEY HAD CLIPS ON THE BACK.
I HEARD THEY HAD A BLOCK-OFF PLATE WHERE THE STOCK FUEL PUMP GOES BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY GOT IT. ARE ALL OF YOU FROM LONG ISLAND? YOU KNOW THESE DETAILS PRETTY WELL. I COME FROM SMITHTOWN BUT UNFORTUNATELY, I WAS IN THE MARINES DURING MOTION'S REIGN.

G

whitetop
01-31-2002, 12:58 AM
Nope not from Long Island, from eastern Ohio. Not an expert by far just observations learned from mags back then with old Motion pics. Check out Cars Hi-Performance, Hot Cars, Rodder & Super Stock, Chevy Action and Chevy Power magazines from '68-'73. Motion stuff was in every issue just about.

Mr. Gasket made several types of chrome block off plates that were blister packed. Many other companies did the same thing-Cal Custom, Trans Dapt etc. Almost anthing would be correct for the era that you can buy today except the billet, anodized, hi tech versions that have been popular the last 10 years. This is one part that has not changed much over the last 30 years. I doubt if there was any "correct" part back then in this case.
Dave

IRONCLAD
02-01-2002, 04:30 PM
DAVE,

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE CUT-OFF PLATE; I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY BID ON SEVERAL OLD MAGAZINES AS YOU MENTIONED AND SHOULD BE RECEIVING THEM THIS COMING WEEK. I ALREADY HAVE ABOUT A DOZEN ARTICLES I HAVE KEPT OVER THE YEARS BUT UNFORTUNATELY, THEY DON'T GIVE MUCH FEEDBACK AS TO MOTION'S OPTIONS; JUST GENERIC TERMS. OHIO IS A BEAUTIFUL STATE; I LIVED IN COLUMBUS IN 1981 TRYING TO GET ON THE STATE TROOPERS BUT SUFFOLK COUNTY POLICE CALLED ME FIRST AND I HAD TO COME HOME TO NY.
THANKS AGAIN,

GARY

IRONCLAD
02-01-2002, 04:44 PM
DAVE,

P.S. YOU MENTIONED IN EARLIER MSG THAT YOU HAD MALLORY CATALOG PAGES; I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN OBTAINING A COPY IF YOU HAVE THE TIME. THANKS,

GARY

jon rand
02-01-2002, 04:58 PM
My 73 Motion had two AC Delco pumps in thr trunk. Were these pumps used by motion to? Did they use what was avalable at the time they built the cars? Did they use differnt pumps for differnt size motors? My car also had a CAL custom blockoff plate in a box ot parts that came with the car

Chevy454
02-01-2002, 06:21 PM
Gary:

Time to play "administrator" again...would you mind turning your caps lock off? It's no big deal, just kind of hard to read.

whitetop
02-01-2002, 07:55 PM
Hello Jon
As I mentioned earlier I've seen Motion use just about every speed part from all manufacturers at one time or another. Many people forget that Motion was also a speed shop. They just did not built cars. Makes sense that Joel may have used different pumps depending on application and use.
Many parts have a date stamp on them, may want to check your pumps. Holley date stamped their pumps for instance. If they have a 1979 date you know they were not correct. Cal Custom made 2 types of block off plates-both chrome plated. One was smooth steel, the other had fins with a camera case pepple texture between the fins. Both would be correct for the era.
Dave