PDA

View Full Version : Dash top paint

fpcopo
02-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Hi guys,
Can any of you shed any light on what is the correct anti-glare textured paint to use on the top of the dash and one the rear package tray molding? I have not been able to find any codes anywhere. I have been told it is called "suede". Any help? Thanks, Frank

micky69396
02-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Frank, the suede was an additive used in the paint to give it a textured look, it is a flattinng agent also. I have not found a supplier in a while for it, I am trying a new product by PPG that is in a spray can and will be a base and is textured. I will spray the corrct color over it. I should have this finished this week and can let you know how I like it. Micky

Rat_Pack
02-04-2002, 02:52 AM
Frank, since most dash paints available from the restoration parts suppliers are in a rattle can and are lacquer based you can do what I do. Go to your local hobby shop and buy a can of Testors Dullcoat Lacquer clear. Spray this in a light coat over the top of whatever color you used and it gives a nice non textured finish that is 100% flat. Also this will work over the top of a base clear formula paint. Doing this will assure you the same dash color only in a flat finish like original.............RatPack..........

jon rand
02-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Frank, I use PPG single stage Black urethane mixed with flatening agent. You just have to experiment mixing with the amount of flatening agent until you get the right amount of dullness. It works well on inner fenders, firerwall, subframes,a armes amd any were else you have to paint with differnt shades of black. The more flatening agent the duller. I dont like spray cans they dont give you as good or as durable of finish.I realize not every one has paint guns and eqiptment but if you do try it i'm shur you will be happy. Jon

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2002, 03:10 PM
Frank;
I also use PPG black, but used DP90LF with some 402LF to make it set up real quick, but added some DT reducer so it wouldn't spray/lay like sandpaper. It took several attempts to get it the way I liked it. Also thought about using Gas Grill Paint.
M

CamarosRus
02-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Dont know all the misc applications where GM used the SUEUDE additive in Laquer(only) but one conspicuous application (and most often redone incorrectly) is the 70-74 Z-28 wheels and 70-71 Chevelle SS.....For you above paint contributors, when you speak of PPG urathane, are using Del-Star ACRYLIC Urathane with a flattening and hardening agent or Del-Tron??????.......thanks, Chuck

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2002, 06:43 PM
KurtS;
The dash paint is rough, the PPG 402LF makes it set up rough like the factory finish. Keeps the glare out of the drivers eyes!
M

Kurt S
02-05-2002, 05:13 AM
The suede finish isn't just flat sheen, it also has texture.

Jerry MacNeish says:
You can still get the OEM suede paints mixed from any dealer that stocks and mixes laquer. The factory suede finish is very rough.

Nova Jed
11-21-2007, 06:41 PM
PPG makes an actual texture additive for the lacquer. I just had a pint miked up. It's not actually suede, it's the texture that gives it the anti-glare.