PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Yenko Nova

Stefano
02-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Thanks YDR,
Are the Vins to the Novas known from the GMAC wholesale floor plan sheets like the Yenko Camaros?

COPO PETE
02-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Do the Yenko hoods have the extra bracket welded in for the grills? You should be able to tell if the grills were added to regular hoods or if they were originally SS hoods.
Peter

Stefano
02-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Were all the Novas also ordered with 4.10 rear ends?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-07-2002, 07:37 PM
To our knowledge, those cars found with their original hoods had the SS grille support brackets on the underside of the hood. Very few photos of '69 Yenko Novas in their original state exist, so it is hard to tell. The L78 was only available in the Nova when the SS option was ordered.

I do not believe there are any delivery sheets for the '69 Yenko Novas, they were not COPO's, therefore were not 'Fleet' ordered vehicles, therefore did not qualify under the 'delayed payment privilege for new floor plan units' from GMAC. The delivery schedules were used to start the payments for new floor plan units to the new dealership.

I believe they were ordered in small batches with the intent to convert to 427's for other hi-po dealerships that had ordered cars from Yenko SportsCars Inc. in prior years. Colonial, Stauffer, Hult, and Gates for eg. When the insurance problems started, Yenko sold them as SS L78's with a 'tuneup' similar to Harrell L78 Novas. We know of at least one that is an L78 with a tune.

To our knowledge, they were ordered with the 4.10 rear. Although, if the customer wanted a different ratio, Yenko would certainly comply just as he had done in prior years on the Camaros.
M

BUIZILLA
02-07-2002, 08:59 PM
Can anyone tell me if the 1969 Yenko 427 Nova's came in white? I discovered one today with auto/buckets, very complete. Very good condition. I sat in it and checked it out. 4086 miles showing. All the Yenko badges are intact, and appear **VERY** original.

Jim

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-07-2002, 09:09 PM
Jim;
To our knowledge, they did not come in white. They came in Fathom Green, Rallye Green, Garnet Red, and Lemans Blue. It is also know that there were no automatics, was it always an a/t?

Explain what you mean by **VERY** original. Yenko sold a lot of performance cars that were not considered sYc's, they would have emblems just like Yenko's trucks and station wagons did. Additionally, the emblems have been available for approx. 15+\- years, and if they were that old could very well look original. The low mileage suggests a drag car??
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (02-07-2002 at 04:09 PM).]

whitetop
02-07-2002, 10:49 PM
I mentioned on a post last year about the Nova in Wheeling W.Va. that was a 6 banger.
I met with the elderly second owners last year who bought it in '73 ish from the original owner. It had the Yenko badges on each front fender and the rear tail pan. It did have SS wheels. It had the black rear plastic panel/vinyl top etc. Owners said the original owner said it was beefed up by Yenko.
Is this possible that Yenko would build up a straight 6 or did the original owner add these badges to fool people at the time?
Dave

BUIZILLA
02-08-2002, 12:55 AM
Marlin, this car appears to be an original L78 car. It has every L78 necessary item. It has correct 427 front markers on it, but I couldn't clearly read the stamped engine numbers for the paint, and I didn't have permission to scrape it for viewing. It is a real SS. It is unabused. It is original white paint/black deluxe interior. It has SS wheels, redline bias tires, tinted glass, buckets, console, (3) Yenko badges. It has 4.10/12 bolt posi. It has the 6 bolt torq. convertor. It does not have any extra trim. It shows 04086.0 miles. As stated above, this could have been a dealer installed package after the fact. But I am convinced it was delivered, as I see it, from Yenko.

Did the 427 car's have Yenko center caps on the SS wheels in '69 ? I forgot to look....

Jim

Stefano
02-08-2002, 05:19 AM
What is the consensus regarding the hoods used on the Yenko Novas; did Yenko apply the SS hood grills on all his Novas?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-08-2002, 05:56 AM
I believe the consensus it that the cars were originally L78 SS cars that were subsequently converted to 427's. At least the first 30 were 427's, with the remaining 7 possibly being non-converted 396's but probably 'supertuned'.

I think most agree that the garnet red car is not a COPO car, but instead a mis-aligned broadcast form with the codes printed in the incorrect boxes, causing Gibson to jump the gun on the COPO claim. Therefore, the car would have had an SS hood originally, and Yenko didn't have to add the grilles.

Personally, I think that the rear SS panel should probably retain the 'SS' emblem in the middle, with the YENKO and 427 badges installed on either side. I believe this for two reasons. One, is the orig. pics we have Randy's Rallye green car where the SS is still on the tail panel. (Possibly retaining the SS emblem on the front grille as well). Two, Yenko was not interested in doing extra work, and usually, the bumper must be removed in order to remove that panel, then the emblem's rivets must be drilled out. I know that one car was found with the SS drilled out, but I also think that car was missing the YENKO and 427 emblems leading me to believe that one of the owners simply took them all out rather than Yenko removing one to add two.

Opinions are welcome.
M

Bradley MacKenzie
02-08-2002, 12:20 PM
What is the current total of documented 1969 Novas known to survive?

Does this number reflect complete running cars only, or are ongoing projects included?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-08-2002, 12:29 PM
Whitetop;
I might suspect that this 6cyl Nova might very well be the '70 Yenko Nova mockup used to make the Mini Muscle Cars brochure. It is believed that the blue deuce in that brochure is a 6cyl car with light blue interior. It has the hood scoop, sport mirrors, door panel decals, and SS wheels w/ Goodyears, but no 350 emblem on the fenders, and it looks like the Nova emblem on the fenders was replaced with the YENKO crest. I think I remember you saying that it was a brownish/gold color. If it's not the brochure car, I guess it could have had some 'tuning' done to it by Yenko. That would a new one to me though.

Jim;
This Nova sounds like a nice car, but what has convinced you that it was delivered this way from Yenko?? Are the Yenko emblems pegged on, or installed with double sided tape? Where does the speedo cable exit the firewall? The majority of car owners we have spoken with recall the cars coming with XT wheels and dogcaps, therefore, we don't believe they could have come with a decal on the wheels at all. These were converted from stripped down L78 SS cars, benches, rubber mats, steel wheels, ect...

Bradley;
We are aware of 8 cars. Those 8 cars break down as 2Fathom Green, 2Garnet Red, 2Lemans Blue, and 2Rallye Green. All are 4speeds of course. 4 of them were originally sold out of Yenko Chev, 1 from Stauffer, 1 from V.V.Cooke, 1 from Van T. and 1 unknown.
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (02-08-2002 at 07:29 AM).]

BUIZILLA
02-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Marlin, I have been informed today that the car is NOT for sale. It is in storage. The 3 emblems are *pinned* it appears. I would say it was an original SS L78 car, sold new by them, and an L72 transplant done at that time. As I uncover more, I will advise.

Jim

Bradley MacKenzie
02-08-2002, 02:43 PM
YDR.
Thanks for the info.
It is greatly appreciated.
Bradley

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Here's a good explanation on the '69 Yenko Novas.
M

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/Supercars/69YenkoNova/index.htm