PDA

View Full Version : Correct Gray Phosphate Coloe

sprchvy
02-13-2002, 04:05 AM
Where can I get the correct color gray phosphate paint for 69 Chevy hood hinges and latches. I just bought and tried Eastwood's version but it is way too dark, almost black. Thanks in advance.

Bob Jenkins
02-13-2002, 11:40 AM
I kind of made up my own combination by painting the hood hinges and latch a semi gloss black, then spraying with castblast. I kept adding black until I got the right shade/color. Castblast seemed a little too gray by itself and the semi gloss black gave it the right color to me. I disassembled the hinges, sandblasted the parts. I then extended the springs by attaching 50 lbs weights from one end and suspending then from a hoist. This paint still looks good after 2-3 years.

bkhpah
02-13-2002, 12:01 PM
If interested I can plate them with real Phosphate like original. No paint looks correct...BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-13-2002, 12:27 PM
I also tried several types of paint, nothing really simulated the real phosphate with it's 'velvety' texture.
M

SS427
02-13-2002, 01:04 PM
Whenever I have a customer who is counting pennies, I spray the hinges flat black, followed by a thin coat of cast blast and followed up with a dry spray of cast. I hold the can back about two feet and 'dust' the hinges with a bunch of small bursts giving it a dry spray coat and a velvety texture. Compared to a set of phosphated hinges, they are almost indistinquishable. They just don't darken with age. I have been doing this for as long as cast blast has been available with great results.

sprchvy
02-13-2002, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Where do I get "cast blast".

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-13-2002, 03:22 PM
Rick;
Doesn't the dry coat of Cast Blast (available at Pep Boys) brush off pretty quickly? I tried that on something else one time, and after some limited handling, the 'texture' was gone.
M

SS427
02-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Marlin, I have never had a problem with that. It's a fine line when it comes to timing and with a little practice it works great. I usually spray the dry coat on JUST as the original coat is flashing over therby giving the dry spray a 'base' to hold it but not enough for the dry spray to melt into the wet coat. I have never cleared them before but a flat clear would also cure that concern.

mrsyc
02-13-2002, 06:26 PM
Try Mike Gray for you phosphating needs at 614 575 1806

SS427
02-13-2002, 06:39 PM
Another great source on the west coast is Steve Gregori at
http://www.brakeboosters.com

He always does a great job, quick turnaround and is reasonably priced. :)

[Edited by SS427 (02-13-2002 at 01:39 PM).]

Charley Lillard
02-13-2002, 08:14 PM
I just got off the Phone with Vernon Owens in Greenville S.C... I have been using his Phosphating solution for years. It is easy to use and is cheap. 1 quart makes about 8 gallons. Cost is 20.50 for a quart plus shipping. You basically pour some in water in a pan and boil it on the stove or Bar-b-que. Dump clean glass beaded bolts or whatever in and stir. The longer you leave it in the darker the phosphate finish. I told Vernon to stop by the site and chime in if he wants. His # is 864-246-3836. I have a pile of extra bolts that I plated just to have if needed.

SS427
02-13-2002, 11:50 PM
Charley, is this a similar solution to Eastwoods green colored Black zinc as I would assume thats the color you are plating your bolts? If so, you get a lot more bang for the buck.

I will definately give him a call. Can you e-mail me his e-mail address? Thanks

Mr Yenko
02-14-2002, 12:11 AM
I didn't know that Mike Gray did phosphate. From what he says, He restores Yenko's BETTER then anyone else. From what he says. But I don't recall him ever restoring a REAL Yenko yet to my knowledge. Mayor of fishkill.
A.K.A. "Grape Ape" http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

K Pascoe
02-14-2002, 12:32 AM
The closest paint I have used to gray phosphate is Eastwoods Spray Gray.It does not have the rough texture the real deal does,but at a quick glance it fits the part.Like BKH said,there is no paint out there that truly duplicates the real thing.I have had BKH do a batch of gray phosphate parts for myself and was pleased with the results...KP

Charley Lillard
02-14-2002, 12:36 AM
Rick..His Email is [email protected]. I have never used the Eastwood stuff so I don't know if it is similar. Vernon has been selling this stuff for along time. I bought mine over 10 years ago and it still works great. He also owns a Black 70 RS Z28...Not for sale though. Nice guy that is worth giving your business to.

micky69396
02-14-2002, 01:25 AM
I have some paint we mix up that is the best thing I have seen closest to phos plating. We use it on the driver cars mostly, people think its phos. Its dark and has a ruff texture. I used to be able to make it out of the old synthol paint, but since it gone now we do it in enamel and it still holds up good. I can do plating on boosters, zinc, phos, cad or any other plating done you may need also. Have people send stuff all the time.

[Edited by micky69396 (02-13-2002 at 08:25 PM).]

COPO PETE
02-14-2002, 05:24 AM
I've been doing the same thing for years with the cast blast as well. I seemed to think you got better results with the high heat version
over the regular stuff. I've had people ask me where I sent them to get the job done. It's a cheap way to do it, but if you want the perfect car and you can afford it, take Brian up on his offer.
Peter

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-14-2002, 05:39 AM
I agree Pete, sent my stuff to Brian who was putting a batch together to get sent out, came back beautiful. It also depends on the level of resto that you are doing on the car, time restrictions, $$'s, ect...
M

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-15-2002, 06:22 PM
Mayor;
What's the deal on the grape ape??
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (02-15-2002 at 01:22 PM).]

mike grey
02-18-2002, 12:38 AM
dear mr yenko, i don't know who you are nor have i seen any of the great cars you have restored. but actually i have restored several that were of the highest caliber. with regards to restoring real yenkos, i restored a 68 yenko that was judged at the camaro nationals by brian henderson and joe swezey at supercar workshop. it was the highest scoring car ever at the camaro nationals. maybe they aren't really experts????????? with regards to phosphating, i have phosphated my own hardware for many years. if you would like me to do some for you please let me know.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Mike;
Apparently your '68 was in New York at one time??
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (02-18-2002 at 07:24 AM).]

mike grey
02-18-2002, 12:29 PM
hi marlin, yes, it spent most of its life there and was found the last time by one of the previous owners getting ready to be made into a race car. had so much purple paint over the door tag that someone had scratched it off with a screw driver so that it could be read.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Hence, the 'Grape Ape'??
M