PDA

View Full Version : BALDWIN MOTION

IRONCLAD
02-15-2002, 12:57 AM
Anyone know if Mallory Tach Distributor Number 24100V and shaft number 3pb360 is the correct one for a 1969 Motion car?

Anyone know what brand fiberglass clutch fan was used on a 1969 Motion car?

I have found almost every part I need to complete by engine except the Ramcharger Wires, boots, Mallory Ignition Box, headers and above parts in question. If anyone has any of these parts for sale, pls give me a shout. Thanks again, always a pleasure to learn something new on this forum.

Gary

whitetop
02-15-2002, 01:42 PM
Gary
The fiberglass engine fan you are refering to was made by Flex-A-Lite and should be the 18 3/8" wide model(for big block), part # 780. Generally ones Motion used had the white center section with green blades.Motion also sold a "topcat" kit that included this fan as part of the package. Flex-a-lite also had another model that was geared for high rpm racing and had a white center section with orange blades called "HPX".
Good luck on finding either one new. Used ones are $1-$5 at the swaps and are usually garbage with cracks/gouges. etc. I do have a NOS #780 with green blades that I will trade if you ever run across a new 17" one. My Mustang has a 17" one on it now but it should be replaced. The 18" I have will work but is closer to the rad hose than I would like. I have been looking for these fans for 12-13 years at swaps/hundreds of want ads etc and this is the only new one in this size I have ever found. Of all the old speed parts I have located over the years this fan was the hardest to find.

The Mallory catalogs that I have do not refer to those part numbers. May be newer model etc. Is it a dual point? Does it have the heavy brass condensor on the outside of the housing? Two piece cap?

Dave

[Edited by whitetop (02-15-2002 at 08:42 AM).]

IRONCLAD
02-15-2002, 11:55 PM
DAVE,

THANKS FOR THE REPLY; YOU ARE MOST GENEROUS WITH YOUR KNOWLEDGE; IT IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED.

THE DISTRIBUTOR I AM LOOKING AT IS ON EBAY, ITEM NUMBER 1803783892. IT IS THE MALLORY RACING DISTRIBUTOR COMPLETE WITH ARCHER CD AND HIGH VOLTAGE COIL; IT ALSO HAS THE BLACK TOP. I HAVE ASKED SEVERAL QUESTIONS OF THE SELLER BUT HE HAS LIMITED KNOWLEDGE OF IT. I ASK HIM THREE QUESTIONS AND HE ANSWERS ONE SO I HAVE TO GO WITH THAT. THE COIL LOOKS LIKE THE CORRECT ONE FOR MOTION BUT I NEVER HEARD OF AN ARCHER CD IGNITION BUT THAT'S NOT SAYING MUCH. THEY HAVE A NICE PHOTO OF IT BUT I CAN'T TELL IF IT IS A TWO-PIECE DISTRIBUTOR. I WILL TRY TO ASK THE SELLER ANOTHER QUESTION BUT I DOUBT IF WILL ANSWER THIS TIME FROM HIS LAST E-MAIL. TOO BAD, IF IT IS THE RIGHT ONE, I WOULD PAY HIM A GOOD DOLLAR FOR IT. I KNOW IT IS A TACH DRIVE DISTRIBUTOR IF THAT IS ANY HELP AS MOTION HAD A TACH DISTRIBUTOR FOR THEIR PONTIAC HOOD TACH. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INTEREST; I WILL BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THAT 17" FAN; YOU NEVER KNOW DOWN SOUTH HERE WHERE THEY KEEP THINGS FOREVER.

G

IRONCLAD
02-15-2002, 11:57 PM
P.S. DO YOU KNOW IF THE STOCK 1969 CORVETTE TACH DRIVE FITS IN THE MALLORY?

THANX

whitetop
02-16-2002, 03:45 PM
Gary
I looked at the tach on ebay. In my opinion it is the economy version(elcheapo) of Mallory Distributors. If you notice on the side of the case it has the small condensor which all the "cheap" versions had. The good units had a very large brass condensor on the side. IT also has the smaller elcheapo gear at the bottom. The good units had a larger L-shaped gear. Cheap units ran a larger hollow steel shaft. Good units ran a smaller solid steel shaft hence the larger ring gear.Also I do not see a large square shaped housing for the tach drive assembly on the housing which it sounds like you want. Did he say it was a tach drive distr.? I don't think so unless it is on the backside and cannot be seen. Also the part number 24100V The V stood for vacuum advance. All the good units I have ever seen were mechanical advance. I have all the catalogs for late '60's early '70's Mallory and this part number is not there. Accel came out with a similar cheap dual point distr in '74 with a part number 34100V. Lot of manufacturers run similar part numbers in the parts industry for the same type of part. The cheap distributors were not really a perfomance item but just a replacement part for OEM. I would run an OEM unit before one of these. They ran bushings while the good ones from Mallory & Accel ran enclosed needle bearings and were more precise and had heavier duty casings. I see the good correct tach drive units at swap meets for $35-60 and they are very plentiful.
Check out ebay # 1073551490. While for a Ford notice the drive gear shape, tach drive housing and condensor.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (02-16-2002 at 10:45 AM).]

IRONCLAD
02-18-2002, 02:11 PM
DAVE,

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON ELCHEAPO; I HAVE LET THIS DISTRIBUTOR SLIDE AND AS EXPECTED, THE SELLER WOULD NOT ANSWER MY LAST TWO QUESTIONS; I GUESS THREE WERE ENOUGH FOR HIM TO GET A POSSIBLE SALE. IF YOU DID NOT ADVISE ME AND HE HAD WRITTEN BACK, I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE GONE FOR IT. THANKS FOR SAVING ME SOME BUCKS THAT I COULD USE TOWARD YOUR 17" FAN. HAHA! I UNDERSTAND THAT THE WHOLE SYSTEM MOTION SOLD FOR THE PHASE III WAS CALLED "SUPER SPARK" WHICH WAS ADVERTISED IN THE OLD MAGAZINES. I WILL BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THE REAL MCCOY. (ALSO THE PLENTIFUL TACH DRIVES (IF THEY EVEN FIT THE MALLORY) AT THE SWAP MEETS) THANKS AGAIN.

whitetop
02-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Gary
FYI The tach drive is something that is built into the housing from Mallory. The TD distr have a special housing/gear drive assembly. You cannot add a tach drive to a non tach drive Mallory or Accel distr.Hope this clears things up.
Dave

BM71vega
02-18-2002, 11:48 PM
I have old Mallory distibutor tach drive
part number:ZC465HP dual point,may be newer model?have the heavy brass condensor on the outside of the housing, may be whitetop cant check in is book tanks .
Roger