PDA

View Full Version : Recovery of Motor #'s

NWYENKO
02-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Afriend of mine sent his # matching block to be machined and in the process it was decked. He has been told of a process to apply a certain acid process and the #'s will become legible. Supposedly when a block is stamped the #'s are ingrained below the surface with the shock. Does this make sense and does anybody know the process??

DjD
02-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Hi Jim,

Stamping does shock the metal around the stamped area. Law enforcement uses some kind of a dye solution and some kind of lamp (ultra violet maybe) on guns that have had the serial number filed off. I doubt it leaves the numbers perminatly visible though.
You might contact Jerry MacNeish, he had been sold some restamped distributors and found a way to verify the orig stamping...

...Dennis

Kurt S
02-19-2002, 04:18 PM
Rich Fields (CRG) pulled this together:
The standard for metal etching is covered by ASTM (www.astm.org) E340, Standard Test Method for Macroetching Metals and Alloys. I strongly encourage anyone considering attempting this to obtain a copy of this either from the website (for a fee) or from your local library in Volume 3.01 of the ASTM Book of Standards.

The procedure involves use of acid, and there are obvious safety issues associated with this. Use safety glasses and acid-resistant gloves, read the safety precautions, if diluting - add acid to solvent rather than solvent to acid, be careful of fumes, do this in a ventilated area, etc.

The theory, for those interested, is that the cold-work of the stamping process changes the metal microstructure locally around the imprint, sufficiently so that there is a resulting difference in resistance (increase or decrease) to acid attack in the portion that has been cold-worked. If the original stamp is removed, the material underneath retains this change in microstructure, which is not visible to the naked eye (until being revealed through etching).

There is a limit to how much material can be removed during the decking process before etching will not reveal the original stamp. Obviously the deeper the current surface is below the original surface the less distinct any characters will be.

For illustration, here are the approximate steps for cast iron:

1) Prepare or purchase etching solution. There are numerous types of etching solutions. The "general purpose" solution in the standard for iron and steel is a 50/50 mix of concentrated hydrochloric acid and water. An easily obtainable close approximation of this is swimming pool muriatic acid, available from swimming pool and home improvement stores, usually already in a diluted form. (Note: a 160F-180F solution is suggested in the test method but I strongly recommend avoiding use of a heated acid solution in the garage. A room-temperature solution will work - but will take a little longer.)

2) Remove all grease, dirt, and paint from area to be etched.

3) Mask off portions of the casting that you don't want etched. You don't want the etching solution washing down your cylinder bores!

4) Clean the pad with solvent and/or cleaning solution. "Any grease, oil, or other residue will produce uneven attack."

5) Saturate a cotton ball held in tongs with the etching solution, uniformly swabbing the area of interest. Wait for the "structure to be developed" (characters to appear). Since the estimate development time is 15-30 minutes you may have to repeat the swabbing periodically to keep the surface uniformly wet with etchant. When the characters become visible or it becomes obvious that they won't, you can stop.

6) Rinse the casting with hot water to remove the etchant.

7) If necessary, "desmut" the surface by vigorous scrubbing with a vegetable fiber brush.

8) Blow the casting dry with compressed air.

[Edited by Kurt S (02-19-2002 at 11:18 AM).]

NWYENKO
02-19-2002, 04:28 PM
Wow, I love this Board!!!! Thanks, Kurt great info. I am printing this response for my friend.

SS427
02-19-2002, 04:43 PM
In addition to that, I have also heard that the 'ghost' in the cast iron can be changed prior to decking so that the acid method is ineffective. I will not post that here for obvious reasons but am told that this works similar to how it is done on guns. This 'impact' method somehow changes the metalurgy of the cast iron and makes what was, now illegable.

Like anything else in this world, what ever man creats as a method of detection, an unhonest person will counter.

Stefano
02-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Kurt,
How visible do the engine dates and codes usually get?

Kurt S
02-20-2002, 03:55 AM
It all depends on how much material was removed. I know a couple of people could read the code after they did it and could barely see a letter when they started (which sounds like a skim cut).