PDA

View Full Version : New Chevy Big Block

Vern B
09-16-2000, 11:32 AM
Check out the current issue of Motor Trend
magazine re: the new GM light duty truck
diesel and big block motor available. GM
finally has a true non-diesel sounding diesel torque monster with an allison transmission for the trucks. Also the new big block introduced is an 8.1 liter gas monster with not 396, 427, or even 454cubic inches, but 496 cubic inches with 455ft lbs. of torque at 340 hp. Sadly, it will never appear in a Camaro, or Corvette. I was talking with several driveline engineers this week from GM and believe me, there is
no one more upset than them that they can't
put some of the great motors they have today
in rear wheel drive cars.

Chevy454
09-18-2000, 06:45 PM
I can't even imagine what a 496 in a new 'Vette or Camaro would be like! If they can get big block numbers out of their current small blocks (like the ZO6 'Vette that is DEEP in the 12s!), imagine what they could do with the new BRUTE (496)! Maybe this engine in a 1/2 ton truck could be an answer to the Lightning?

Heck, with all the computers that are on the cars these days, they might even be able to make a big block somewhat practical!

I am also anxious to see how well the new Duramax diesel performs in the real world. I hope it lives up to the hype and returns GM to the top of the truck market where it belongs. If all turns out well for the new diesel or big block, I might even look into getting rid of my current tow rig ('91 crew cab, 454 w/ Paxton SC, 4-speed w/gear splitter) for one of the new HD models.

[Edited by Chevy454 (09-18-2000 at 01:45 PM).]

Charley Lillard
09-19-2000, 02:30 PM
I gave up on waiting for Chevy's answer to the Lightning. Sold my 99 Z71 Silverado and bought a Lightning. The engine on the Z71 lasted 4 days, the truck had as many squeeks and rattles as my 90 SS 454 did. As for how much fun the Lightning is-- My friend has a 93 SS 454 with a tool box and a welder in the back. He wanted me to put weight in the back of my Lightning and drag race him. If the Lightning was faster he was gonna think about replacing the SS. We raced 4 times, I beat him 4 times. I was pulling a 20' enclosed trailer when we did it. At about 85 mph he could catch me because the trailer started acting like a parachute. He is now looking for a Lightning. If you want a fun and fast truck you might try a Lightning. It pulls a a 20' enclosed trailer with a Camaro easily.

COPO
09-19-2000, 07:31 PM
Charley, that race must have been quite a sight!! I confess my daily driver is also a Fo@d ('99 Expedition), I am however, eyeing the new Suburbans.

Chevy454
09-19-2000, 08:22 PM
You should look into a new Sub with the 8.1L in it. I have been following some posts by a guy over at www.pickuptruck.com and he is pleased with his. Says it really has some power.

[Edited by Chevy454 (09-19-2000 at 03:22 PM).]

Charley Lillard
09-20-2000, 03:18 AM
Yes it was pretty funny. At one time I had the truck and trailer doing over 90. We have lots of straight country roads out here so it is pretty deserted at times. The best part was my buddy had a friend riding with him, he made sure everyone in town knew what happened.