PDA

View Full Version : LS6 Conver Chevelle at Volo

martin king
06-22-2002, 05:45 PM
Does anyone on the board know anything about this car or the company? Appreciate any help you all can lend. Thanks..Marty...

volo auto museum (http://www.voloautomuseum.com/cgi-local/base/serch/cgi)

SS427
06-22-2002, 09:09 PM
Rick (mr70) can likely tell you all about it/them in 200 words or less. I believe they have crossed paths many times.

COPO
06-23-2002, 12:15 AM
Based on the price I'd strongly suspect it's a replica. A fresh frame-off real LS-6 conv. would be in the $150K-$200K range.

JoeC
06-23-2002, 12:28 AM
I don't know the car but I agree the price indicates it is an undocumented car. Ask if they have a build sheet or other paper on it. Looks like it has wrong exhaust manifolds and no AIR pump. May have other issues.

Charley Lillard
06-23-2002, 12:43 AM
The only dealings I have ever had with them is when they tried to sell me a Fake LS6 convert. that they had assisted in having built for a customer. The Customer died and they bought the fake and called me, told me it was the real thing and insisted they knew the difference between a Fake and real one. I waited for "JAY" to send me a photo of the Protecto plate for a couple days. During that time I found out the real story on the car . It was built by a well known guy in Wisconsin and he had done a couple other fakes for Volo also. I emailed JAY and asked him why he would knowingly sell me a Fake and lie to me over the phone but strangely I have never heard back from Jay. Ahhh the Scum of the Earth surfaces again.

SS427
06-23-2002, 02:07 AM
There are a lot of stories behind this "well known guy" in Wisconsin. Evidently, that car got/is getting him into a lot of trouble. Seems as though he built the car with he and his customer knowing it would be a clone but when the customer died, the car was sold by "someone" else as the real deal through the estate. From what I understand, he builds many very nice clones. Not a good thing.

Weren't they the ones selling the red/black non cowl car 2 years ago at Barrett-Jackson that was bid to $105K and was a no sale which was later proven to be a fake? Just curious.

Stefano
06-23-2002, 05:31 AM
There are more LS6 clown cars in the works and for sale than I can count. Buyers Beware.

Charley Lillard
06-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Ha !!! Actually, a LS6 Clown car might be knida funny.

COPO
06-23-2002, 05:04 PM
Rick, you refreshed my memory. I believe this is the same car they sold a couple of years ago. Check the VIN as if it is the same car as before, it was built prior to the LS-6 engine being avaliable. It used to have a bogus POP. I do know the colors are the same.

T Billigen
06-23-2002, 08:01 PM
Who is this fellow in Wisconsin that does the fakes? Is he from Racine?

William
06-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Green Bay. CPX used to supply parts.

martin king
06-23-2002, 11:18 PM
Thanks to all...this board is the best...Marty

Mr70
06-24-2002, 12:54 PM
I will hold my tongue on this one.
But don't go near any 1970 Chevelle SS restored in Wisconsin..or Oklahoma for that matter.
Seems there are some deceivingly sneaky restorers in those two areas most of all.
Top that off with the fact that Volo is selling it...I'd rather have the plague!

SS427
06-24-2002, 01:58 PM
I told you he could answer in 200 words or less and I could not agree more! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Stefano
07-23-2002, 04:35 PM
I heard that the LS6 rag top has been sold. Does anyone know the new owner?

L78man
07-30-2002, 02:24 AM
I will be setting the record straight on the fellow from Wisconsin shortly

The car sold for 80k at Volo and a collector who is selling his sports car collection and buying muscle cars bought it. The car was shipped to the east coast.

SuperCars
07-30-2002, 02:46 PM
Actually I can speak for the Restorer from Green Bay. He is as honest as can be. He built a couple "replica" LS6 Convertibles for customers at the request of the car owners. He had no ownership nor anything to gain from the cars and was told by the owners they wanted them built just to drive for fun at a fraction of the cost of a real LS6 convertible. The first of these "replica" LS6 Convertibles I came across was at Volo about 5 or 6 years ago. It was beautiful Blue with white interior and stripes. I asked Volo Jay if it was documented and he said no; but if it was they'd be asking twice as much. He did give me the name of the restorer in Green Bay. I called directory information to get his number, then called him. This restorer immediately told me it was a replica, and was not happy about the owner trying to mis-represent it. Also there was another "replica" LS6 Convertible that graced the cover of MCR.

I don't know, nor have I asked about the current one at Volo, so can't comment on it. Charley may have the inside info.

In addition, this restorer has restored "real" fully documented with build sheets LS6 Convertibles as well. This I know beyond a shadow of doubt.

L78man
07-31-2002, 02:08 AM
Actually,I forgot to meantion that the car was a perfect restoration of a clone down to the vin#,cast,and date stamping on the block,paint tag,ect. And of course no documentation. I first saw a trio of these cars in Crystal Lake,IL about 4 years ago. The owner represented them as real cars and was asking 120k for the one that just sold!
One he still has, and the other hardtop is still at Volo priced at a rich 60k, and of course no doc's, but a perfect resto.

If anyone is questioning the restorer's work from Green Bay, just check out the hardtop.

I appreciate and totally agree with the previous message. This guy is fair and honest,however he has no control over someone misrepresenting a clone.

Let's try and get our facts straight before we start line bashing; shall we?

Mr70
07-31-2002, 02:50 AM
Welcome Slobodaan
Noone here is bashing,just stating the facts we have encountered in the past.
Can you tell us more Facts about yourself in your profile then just being a stranger?

Stefano
07-31-2002, 04:27 AM
I don't think anyone was bashing the guy who restored the Chevelles. In fact, his quality and workmanship is very good, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't call the Chevelles perfect clones or restorations.

Not everyone can afford the genuine article or in this case even a very nice,high quality ,clone.

Did anyone read about the First Cuda convertible which someone invested six figures to purchase and restore. It turned out to be just a regular Barracuda with a faked vin /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

SS427
07-31-2002, 01:06 PM
I too was not bashing the restorer but was bringing attention to the fact that if you are going to creat a clone, you need to CYA as this can come back to haunt you. It was a well known fact that he was not attempting to conceal the fact that he built a clone but when the owner car was passed on, the facts were lost in the translation of which the restorer had little control over. Unfortunately, that can put the builder at risk if not careful. My understanding is he does very high quality work.

With regards to Volo, I only know what I pick up from the forums as I have never purchased a car from any dealer nor do I intend to.