PDA

View Full Version : Can my V-8 Dakota pull open car trailer?

whitetop
07-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Hello
Can my 2001 V-8 Dodge Dakota(4wd, automatic, towing package(extra coolers/heavier springs etc), 7000# towing capacity) pull an open aluminum car trailer, 1500# with a 64 1/2 Mustang Convertible weighing approx. 3200-3300#? Know the weight is less but have never seen anyone puling a trailer with a Dakota. Concerned about control and stability as well. Don't want to kill the truck.
Thanks
Dave

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-26-2002, 09:38 PM
My Dad's '90 F150 with a straight 6 (300 cid), 5speed, 4x4, and a towing package pulls my steel trailer (1,600 lbs) with my Yenko on it (3,100 lbs) like it's not even back there - until a mountain, then it slows down considerably. The truck is rated at 5,700 lbs towing, but with the 5speed manual it drops to 5,200 lbs. If you keep it at 65mph, the momentum really pushes you along, less than 65 and your 'towing'.

As for stability, I have found the perfect 'balance' location on the trailer for the car. On the way to the York show, I rushed the loading procedure and had the car about 4inches behind my magic mark. No big deal until I was going around a bend at 65mph, the unbalanced condition was exaggerated, and the 'tail was really wagging the dog'. I thought I was going into the weeds, even though the truck is a std wheelbase. Next time, I will load the car to my exact mark.

With the Dakota, it should pull it fine, but just be careful to make sure the car is properly positioned in order to maintain balance. (Phil in MI towed his Yenko Nova home with an S10 Blazer pulling a 24ft. open trailer - no problems!)
Good luck, (Just don't run Firestone rubber, we've lost 3 treads - none while towing thankfully!)
M

whitetop
07-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks Marlin for the info. Also I checked on that Camaro in the local salvage yard that was reported to be a 427 on an old thread. Talked with the owner the other day. It is still there but it in only a original 396 car. I saw it, not much left. All the good parts have been stripped off or damaged in some way. Original rally green car. Subframe is there but no drivetrain or front end. A guy started to restore it back in the late '70's. left it outside for many years and Larry got it 15 or so years ago.
Dave

68l30
07-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Dave,we've pulled my open trailer with a 4X4 4.3 S-10 before.No problems,just be sure most of the weight is on the truck not the ass end of the trailer.

Steve

Schonyenko2
07-27-2002, 02:00 AM
Pulling may not be as hard as stopping.Doesn't take much to push a lighter truck.I think you'll want real good trailer brakes. Ken

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-27-2002, 02:05 AM
Very good point!!! My car on the sled can push the F150 around, that's when I know I didn't reset the brake controller from when I pulled the sled empty.

68l30
07-27-2002, 02:32 AM
Brakes are a must with any trailer.We always used to say...Up hills slow,down hills fast,tonnage first,saftey last....But seriously,be careful.It's no fun when you see your trailer in the lane to the right then to the left....

Steve

BBIGG BLOCK 396
07-29-2002, 02:50 AM
You may want to consider using a equalizer hitch like used on travel trailers,they work great.Go to any good trailer hitch sales place to see a setup.I purchased one for 280.00 installed and it makes a big difference,it levels the truck and trailer equally.

bobby