PDA

View Full Version : 68 Yenko built ElCamino in Wisconsin

hotrodchev
08-28-2002, 03:55 PM
A certain car has been in the back of my mind since I first laid eyes on it a few years ago at a car show in east-central Minnesota. The car in question, is a Black 1968 Elcamino w/black interior, 427 engine and automatic transmission which beared Wisconsin plates. An LT-1 type dual snorkel air cleaner sat atop the engine connected by hoses that ran down to two dual air inlets mounted below the front bumper (very similar to the same setup used on early Oldsmobiles). "427 SS" emblems were mounted on the front grille and tailgate and several orange "Tuned by Yenko" decals were present under the hood. A copy of a "allegedly" authentic letter written by Don Yenko to "Grumpy" Jenkins also accompanied the car. I vaguely remember reading the letter which said something to the effect of "This car specially built for Bill Jenkins by Yenko Performance". Also mentioned in the letter were some of the special features that were added to the car. Whether or not this car is legit I don't know, but I have heard rumors from some that Yenko always had "special" projects going on in the "backroom" outside of his regular business. Anybody care to shed some light on this subject or
recognize the car I'm referring to? Thanks- Hotrodchev