PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floor Coverings

NWYENKO
09-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Has anybody used Racedeck tile floor system in their garage?? I have about 1300 feet to cover and am not ready for the Epoxy covering due to the time the garage has to be empty, not to mention the apparent amount of mess and work. Any other ideas?? Thanks, Jim /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

JChlupsa
09-09-2002, 08:30 PM
Not sure what you call a long time to be empty for a garage but heres an copy/paste from one of the guys on the Team Camaro Pages. Look at the link, he has pics of his garage and the floor looks awesome.
posted 10-05-2001 07:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The lift is a Cytech "Double-Park" (www.doublepark.net) - well-designed and engineered, they're one of the few that actually make their own lift. The top of the garage door clears the back of the Vette windshield frame by about a foot in the full open position.
The floor isn't painted - it was done by HomePro Floors (www.homeprofloors.com). They come in and steel shot-blast the surface of the concrete to expose the "pores" below the smooth surface so the epoxy coating has something to "grab"; then they pour and spread a coat of 2-part epoxy resin which cures overnight, and they come back the next day and pour and spread the second coat, with the color tint of your choice, and sprinkle in some fine silica sand (for anti-slip if it's wet). That cures overnight, and you can drive on it in 24 hours.

It's completely impervious to any automotive chemical (including brake fluid), won't chip, hot tires won't lift it, tires won't mark it, and it's a snap to keep clean - just use a dustmop or soft-bristle broom, or wet-mop it if it really gets dirty - always comes back to a nice shine (and the gloss just about doubles the effectiveness of the overhead lighting).

I also insulated under the concrete - laid 2"-thick 4'x 8' sheets of high-density closed-cell foam with heavy foil on both sides, then placed mesh and re-rod and poured the floor over it - floor is nice and dry, ground moisture can't get to it or through it.

I learned a lot from 40 years of regular garages in many homes (10 in 37 years), decided to do this one right - it's the last one; the only way we're leaving here is in zipper bags!

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
http://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum2/HTML/001841.html

CamarosRus
09-10-2002, 04:10 AM
Jim, I still have these Five Gallon Containers I bought at BOEING surplus last year....Dont have Brand Name handy but its a commercial product that Boeing,G.M., Costco, Home Depot have applied to there slab floors.....not just a coating but actually impregnates the surface of concrete and makes it HARDER.......anyway Ive found out that there is a local installer that has the right scubbing polishing machine, etc If your interested I can get you phone #'s and send you a copy of literature mfg sent me....never used any myself.......Chuck

69L89396
09-10-2002, 04:19 AM
The only thing bad about the epoxy coating is it is very, very slick when it gets wet. Otherwise it is the best thing to use.