PDA

View Full Version : PSMCR 2002

JonC30
09-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Anyone heard back on how it is going so far? Are Rob and Pete the only ones thats went?

Jonathan

moparts
09-13-2002, 08:56 PM
just talked to rob he is running right at 13 at 105.

pete is running 12.30 at 116.

its hot up there and they are trying to get everything lined out.

Vern B
09-13-2002, 11:24 PM
A friend and I spent the day there today. The temp was about 80 degrees during the afternoon. Talked to both
Rob and Pete a couple of times during the day. Pete was
low qualifer of ALL cars, both certified and noncertified.
He made several passes from 12.36 to 12.39....... very
consistent. Rob was running ever so close to 12.00, but
a tenth or less over. Pete's buddy JJ was running 12.7 - 12.9, as I remember with his L-89 Nova. All three are
certified stock. Jim Mattison was there also, with his recently acquired L-72 COPO. I believe he only made a couple of passes in the 13's and lost a water pump. There was a hugger orange 69 COPO ?? Camaro (LA) car with a ZL 1
motor that ran 12.39, but wasn't certified.
The guys from this board were some of the fastest cars there and deserve a big thumbs up!! Hopefully they will have everyone covered tomorrow.
Congrats on the good showing Pete, Rob, JJ and Jim. My buddy Dale and I started talking on the way home about putting a car together for the future. Look's like fun!!!

Chevy454
09-15-2002, 12:12 PM
The "Show-Me" state boys are home...finally! Rolled in at 6:45 a.m. this morning, after leaving around 2:30pm yesterday (CST).

I'm thinking I should go to bed...but I'm NOT going to!

Good to see Vern again, and Dale also. As Vern said, though, the Supercar Registry was well represented, as I met several people that check out the site daily, as they appeared every time I turned around. Maybe they recognized the tow rig...

Anyway, Pete ended up winning the whole shootin' match, pretty handily I might add. Was dead consistent 12.30s all weekend, somewhere in the 113 range. JJ ran well also, and was even nice enough to let me try an extra carb of his, after ours started acting up. I think Mattison ran some mid 13s after thrashing to get the water pump fiasco straightened out! As for me, same old thing, flirting with the 12s, LOTS of 13.0s, but mph was down for some reason. Was REALLY consistent, though...like bracket car consistent. I ended up losing my shoot out, but I gave it my best, and actually stepped up at the tree for once (.552, .500, and .511 lights when it counted! How you like them apples little bro!).

As usual, a GREAT TIME!

COPO PETE
09-15-2002, 01:06 PM
Was a great week-end! Congrats to Rob on his perfect light (.500) Good job!!! I got to visit with Jim Mattison for about an hour..... that in itself was worth the price of admission just to listen to the stories! Thanks Jim!
Peter

Mr70
09-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Congrats Pete and who did you beat?
Were there many certified stock cars there this year?
Was it a bigger/smaller turn out then previous years?
Anybody from here have some pictures to post?

JoeC
09-15-2002, 01:21 PM
Congratulations to all. 12.30s ? That is really flying Pete!

Chevy454
09-15-2002, 08:41 PM
I wasn't the ONLY member from here that cut a .500 light...Pete had one on Friday! Ahh, they say you always remember your first...well, that was MY first! And what's better, I had to have it to stay alive!

Only 1 car certified this year, a Mopar...I'm not sure, but I'm gonna guess a 440-6 car...is that right Pete? There were 4 scheduled, but 3 dropped out. As for Pete's 12.30s, yeah, that is FLYING, but that car has gone 12.16/ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif! Did Mattison win his shootout?

Hugger
09-15-2002, 11:08 PM
Congrats to Pete for the big win and to everyone else! I have been checking out the boards for some time and figured now is a good time as any to start posting.

I managed to get some pictures you can see here:

Peter Staging (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/copopete.jpg) Warming up the Goodyears (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/copo.jpg)

Rob Staging (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/yenkorob.jpg) Warming up the Goodyears (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/yenko.jpg)

Jim Staging (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/copojim.jpg)

I also have many more pictures if anyone is interested. Keep up the great work on the site!

It was great to see you guys running the cars they way they were designed to run - on the track!

Craig.

L78Impala
09-15-2002, 11:19 PM
It sounds like you guys had a great time.

I hope to bring my big fat Impala next year. I want to show you guys how heavy metal is suppose to run.

Rob & Pete, tell us some more.

copo9566aa
09-15-2002, 11:45 PM
Thanks Hugger for posting these pictures and welcome.

Chevy454
09-16-2002, 01:36 AM
Craig:

It was nice to finally meet you in person! If there are any more cool pictures you want to post, we would be glad to see them!

L78Imp:

Bring out that big car! Someone who lurks around this site is trying to get into an L-72 Biscayne for the event, so an L-78 Imp would compliment it perfectly! The Chevrolet hi-po big cars haven't been there in force yet, but there is no time like the present! Hey, how about you shoot a pic of those manifolds and post it...I'd like to take a look! (Or maybe I just want to see what I'm missing!)

JonC30
09-16-2002, 02:16 AM
Well, my best light is tied with ur 2nd best light. So you definetly have me there. However, I think I have you beat in the red-light category pretty handily(wasnt one or yours like a .2 on a .5 tree?!?!). Guess those RLs just slipped your mind earlier. I mean you had been up all night and everything.........

Jonathan

Hugger
09-16-2002, 02:48 AM
For your viewing pleasure...
This is what a perfect light looks like:

0.500 Launch (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/yenkolaunch.jpg)

Berger Camaro Launch (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/bergerlaunch.jpg)

LS6 Launch (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/ls6launch.jpg) (Can't forget about you Chevelle guys..)

Can't wait till next year, I'll have to bring my 69 RS/SS and run the Polyglas's.

Craig.

JonC30
09-16-2002, 03:10 AM
That LS6 isnt like ours. Cant see light under the wheels. The back wheels that is. Right Rob......

Jonathan

Stefano
09-16-2002, 03:43 AM
Cool Pics, thanks for posting them. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Mr70
09-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Hugger
This Chevelle guy thanks you for those Pictures! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

John Brown
09-16-2002, 01:53 PM
Hugger, NO such thing as "too many pictures". Looks like you had a good time at Stanton like I did. It's a car show and drag race all in one!

COPO PETE
09-16-2002, 05:06 PM
It was a perfect week end. About 124 cars showed up to race. About 1000 spectaters showed up to watch.
After the smoke cleared after qualifying, I ended up against 6 PAK Bob, who is always ready to play!!!!! First round, I had a little premature accleration problem,so after that race I told Bob, "you better have lots of gas cause were going three rounds." He just smiled!!!! Second round, a .542 light and a 12.38 to his 12.58, so he seen tail lights the whole race. Third round, I took it easy and gave him the tree but ran him down by the 100 foot mark and cruised to the end. Bobs always a good challenge. He qualified 12.40 to my 12.35. Looking forward to next year!
Peter

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-16-2002, 05:24 PM
As in Bob Karakashian?

Chevy454
09-16-2002, 06:45 PM
Yep, that's him. Like Pete, he's there every year, and is one of the major players at the PS races. Very tough, and usually very consistent, although Pete seemed to fluster him this weekend! It was nice to see 2 "Certified Stock" cars being the 2 fastest qualifiers.

I still chuckle every time Pete mentions that "premature accleration" thing.../ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Rob/Pete;
I remember a small pic in mag from like 20 years ago when Karakashian's 6PAK was the record holder in NHRA, along with Mino's firebird. I guess Bob K. rebuilt his engine to 'Certified Spec's'?

Chevy454
09-16-2002, 07:13 PM
Yeah, his engine is right at the limits of NHRA specs, which are largely factory specs, with the exception of deck height and chamber size...or at least that's true with the Chevrolets.

It's odd you should bring up Mino's Firebird...he recently sold it to Dan Jansen (PSMCDR organizer) who built an engine for it and cleaned it up and sold it, and the the car showed up this weekend running mid 12s!!!!

I didn't get to run a Stude at all this year...too bad, as this is a year would have been really close, as the brown car ran a best ever 13.03 and my best ET was a 13.06! Last year there was less than a tenth seperating all of our runs...combined.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-16-2002, 07:15 PM
Rob,
How do they let the Stude run when the charger was basically an over the counter option? Does that mean a '69 Z28 with crossram could run?

Chevy454
09-16-2002, 07:23 PM
This is from memory, but there were actually a few Studes that got them from the factory, so they could go racing. Similar to some of Chevrolets ventures (ZL-1, L-88, etc.). I honestly don't know a tremendous amount, but they must be legit, because Bob/Dan are pretty picky about what's legal and what's not.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-16-2002, 07:45 PM
I thought it was a dealer installed option, I think I remember reading that in the MCR article. Or maybe that brown bagger Stude was assembled with R3 parts purchased over-the-counter.

SS427
09-16-2002, 08:18 PM
"That LS6 isnt like ours. Cant see light under the wheels. The back wheels that is. Right Rob......"
Jonathan

He would have gotten light under the front tires if the hood flapper was open................. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
I agree with Mr70, very nice photo for us Chevelle guys!

Chevy454
09-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Actually, that is a non-cowl, dual snorkel, auto/column car, that ran 12.50s/ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif! One of Jansen's several early '70s auto/column A-bodies, and they ALL seem to haul @ss!

As for the "daylight under the tires", little bro was referring to the slight wheelhop problem I had with our LS-6. It was TERRIBLY violent to say the least. This seems to be a common problem with 4-speed A-bodies, particularly the '70+ cars. Any ideas on how to fix it? I've got to figure out a way to hook my '69 when it's done.

Chevy454
09-16-2002, 08:43 PM
M:

Got the following email from one of my Stude contacts:

R2 and R3 engine packages with superchargers were both factory option packages. R1 was the normally aspirated
"Avanti" engine. R2 had a blower feeding into the four barrel. R3 had the blower feeding into a pressure box containing the four barrel carb. There were a lot of R1's, quite a large number of R2's and I believe, from memory, only nine factory R3's (eight in Avantis and one in a Lark-type body-still exists).

Seattle Sam
09-17-2002, 12:09 AM
Rob - for your wheel hop...
Easiest non-invasive fix would be an air bag inside the pass-side rear spring. Also you could swap your rear upper and lower control arms with boxed trailing arms and poly bushings. Or you could bolt on Lakewood traction bars. Or a control arm relocation (no-hop) kit which changes the instant center. My '65 Chevelle (boxed arms, no-hop kit) raises up front and rear when I launch.
-Seattle Sam

Chevy454
09-17-2002, 02:58 AM
Sam:

Those are some good suggestions, all of which I had heard before, but never tried (except boxed arms). It's odd, though, that I was talking to an LS-6 owner/racer this weekend about this very thing, and he has BIG TIME problems as well. Runs an air bag, tried No Hop bars (DID NOT HELP!), and has poly bushings and boxed arms. He HATED the No Hops, as he had to drill his housing, and he described them as a waste of money. I believe he still has the air bag/boxed arms, and he ran a 12.80@110, but still hopped a tad. Seems worse on stick cars, probably due to the amount of "shock" to the tire?

Seattle Sam
09-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Rob,
You are right about the four-speed - a much more brutal launch, which can shock that rear suspension into massive hopping. With the boxed arms, polys, and no-hop brackets my Chevelle runs a 12.98 @104, no sign of wheel hop any more (although it is an auto).
I believe it's important to "tighten up" all aspects of the rear suspension, and the boxed arms and poly bushings go a long ways to accomplishing that. I wasn't too thrilled about drilling my housing for the no-hop kit, but I was definitely thrilled with the results. That kit relocates the upper arm rear mount upwards; the good news is there are also BOLT ON brackets that relo the lower control arm rear mount downwards to achieve the same effect. This is a very common traction trick on fourth gen Camaros.
BMR Fabrications http://www.bmrfabrication.com/A-Body.htm USED to sell these brackets under part number CAB-004, I would give them a call and see if they have any around (picture attached). I also put in the air bags, then took them out as I didn't like the street ride (too much rear bounce). But there is nothing like a passenger side bag to keep the chassis square on launch. Here are a couple of set-ups that have worked for people. http://www.chevelles.com/racing/tricks.html
Hope this helps!
-Sam

L78Impala
09-18-2002, 04:50 AM
Rob,
here are the photos of the 65 Vette / Impala exhaust manifolds.

they can be found in the Paragon Parts

catalog.http://www.corvette-paragon.com/

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~showpictxt~0000095a~AAQLT

&

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~showpictxt~0000095a~AAQLS

The above are links to photos of both the left and right hand manifolds.

I hope this works. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif
Billy

Hugger
09-18-2002, 11:59 AM
Here's a shot of the Stude that has the R3 setup:
Studebaker R3 (http://www3.sympatico.ca/craig_wood/images/psmcr2002/studer3.jpg)

John Brown
09-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Rob, take this from an "old" low buck racer. Believe the guy that said to lower the rear of the car. It worked for me on a 68 Chevelle (4sp), 78 Malibu (4sp) and 85 Monte SS(auto). Best of all it's cheap, and if you dont like it, you haven't cut up your car.

Chevy454
09-18-2002, 10:48 PM
John:

I've heard that very thing from several other Chevelle guys, and Dave (NeatSS) and I have had this very discussion. The A-bodies are VERY sensitive to ride height, and it seems the lower, the better. Our '69 L-78 car sat low, but looked great, and didn't hop. My LS-6 sat high, and hopped like it was mad at the world! Anyone had any luck with new springs that bring the car down a tad, but will work with my F70-15s?

JoeC
09-18-2002, 11:11 PM
I believe the pinion angle has a lot to do with wheel hop. I see many cars run adjustable control arms so you can change the pinion angle at the track.

JChlupsa
09-19-2002, 04:27 AM
Hawaiian Style FUN daily street driven Vette 12.40 1/4 mile 412 Mitchell SBC
http://www.crass.net/carstuff/cappy1.wmv