PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Harrell Vega 400 Pics (Part 1)

copo9566aa
09-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Another engine swap outside. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
Cool valve cover with Dick Harrell crest.
Car Craft Dec 70.

copo9566aa
09-16-2002, 12:03 AM
(Part 2)The valve cover with harrell crest.

Chevy454
09-16-2002, 01:54 AM
Cool pictures!

But...what is with all of these people stabbing their engines OUTSIDE?! Better light, or just better advertisement?! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

copo9566aa
09-16-2002, 02:30 AM
Probably for a better light for a better advertisement /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
Its typical to Magazine cover in 1970 and today
Just for the show. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

68TopStock
09-16-2002, 03:58 AM
Super pics! Wonder what other sb conversions Dick performed? Wonder how the emblem was attached to the intake? /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

copo9566aa
09-16-2002, 06:31 PM
Thanks Ken
SB conversion? is for small body or small block, or small body with small block conversion.Probably not many.
Thanks for the info about the emblem on the intake.
I had not seen it /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

copo9566aa
09-27-2002, 07:38 PM
You knew it had to happen, right? Chevrolet answers the consumer
demand for a practical, economical subcompact by introducing
their docile,innocent little Vega, only to have some power-crazed
performance nut-bail .go and stuff a small-block V8
:engine into it. Well power-crazed nut-ball performance fans,
we're here to tell you how to do it.

Originally we were planning to drop the 350 cubic inch LT-1 engine
(which was slated for our Econo-Rail and awaiting chassis construction) into
the Vega which we were drag testing; But when we heard that Kansas City
Supercar King Dick Harrell was going to drop a warmed-over 400 cubic inch
small-block into a Vega for one of his customers,we figured we'd follow him
along rather than doing it ourselves.

As it turned out, the engine Dick is plunking into his customer's Vega
is a 400 cubic incher equipped with TRW's new high compression pistons
for the 4, 1.25-inch bore block. ActualIy,the pistons corne in a choice of
either 11:1 or 12;5:1 compression ratios, and Harrell chose the 11:1
models (TRW part number 2311)since the engine was intended for street. use.
The camshaft is the stock solid lifter Chevy unit (part number 3972178)
from a 1970 1/2 LT-1 350 cubic inch Z/28 engine. The induction system consists
of an Offenhauser manifold sporting a 1000 cfm Carter Thermo-Quad, fed by a Carter
fuel pump. A Poweready ignition system completes the other-than-stock engine equipment.
Essentially it's the same basic power plant as used in the Teach Your New Dog Old
Tricks story (October, 1970, Car Craft.) upon first glance, the Vega's engine
compartment seems to be a natural resting place for a small-block Chevy engine.
Perhaps this is only an illusion created by the fact that the stock 2300cc in-Iine four
is an extremely narrow engine. However,early XP-887 (Vega) development had the conventional
small-block V8 as one of the possible power sources.Despite the, fact that whenever we
talked with Chevy engineers and told them of our plans to stuff a small-block into
the Vega they ali coughed and clutched at their throats, we persisted that
the idea was possible, if not entirely practical.The maih bone of contention from
the Chevy engineers concerned the fact that the Vega drivetrain components
would not be able to withstand the torque of a V8 engine. For openers, the 6 1/2-inch
diameter ring gear rear end with toothpick sized axles is intended strictly for the
production four-cylinder engine. In addition to replacing the rear- housing and drive-shaft,
the stock Vega four-speed transmission will have to be ousted because of this
anemic dimension ,Harrell plans to install a Turbohydro in its place.

While there is sufficient width in the engine compartment to hold a small-block Chevy engine
when you try lowering the V-8 into the engine bay you will encounter oil pan to front
K-cross member and steering interference.Harrell circumvented this problem by removing the
K-member and reworking the steering.The steering bracket on the right side of the chassis was
removed downward about 2 1/2 inches and repositioned,while the steering arm on the left side of
the chassis was lengthened a like amount by cuttingyhe arm and adding in an additional piece of
metal (see photo). Once the engine is monted in place,Harrell plans to fabricate a new cross-member
to replace the K-member they extracted.Chevrolet engineers felt that because the front of the Vega
body/chassis was designed to support a 330 -pound aluminium 4-cylinder,dumping in a cast iron V8
of about twice that weight might require some sortof additional subframe assembly to support the
engine bay laterally,for fear that the inner fender panels,and the front of the car for that matter,
might begin to spread with age.Harrell,however,decided to try the conversion without said subframe
fabrication.

Regarding the spindly rear end assembly, the stock housing was ousted and is being replaced with
an 8 7/8- inch ring gear rear end from a Chevy Il. Because the tread width of the Vega rear
is slightly smaller than that of the Chevy II, the beefier rear housing and axles will, have to be
narrowed about 2 inches on each side.The rear will be mounted in a fashion similar to the stock
assembly, but new stronger coil springs will be needed for both the front and rear
because of the increased engine weight and the fact that gobs of torque will be applied to the rear.

(Part 1)(1)

V8 your Vega (Car Craft Dec 70) /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

68l30
09-28-2002, 04:39 PM
I spoke with Dave L.(worked for Dick Harrell Perf.)at the reunion about Vegas.More specificly one in a drag photo I have.His answer to me was,"We only built one Vega,with a 400ci motor".I would bet this is the car.I think he said it was a Yellow car.......

Steve

copo9566aa
10-01-2002, 02:04 PM
Same Harrell Vega Pics,but with stripes.
(Car Craft Jan 1971)

copo9566aa
10-01-2002, 02:12 PM
Another pic

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Here is the same car being raced.

http://www.charlesgilchrist.com/GPC/SRodsGallery.html

copo9566aa
10-01-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks Marlin
Dec 70 Jan 71 and 72.
Another pics of the engine in 1971
12.48 /110.13 in 71 with (097 cam /68 Chevelle 12 bolt Narrowed /3.55 gear/Kelsey Hayes 15 wheels/

68l30
10-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Marlin,that's the photo I showed Dave.I think it was the Harrell car as well.Again he said one built.Are there any others around?I would doubt it,with the demise of Harrell Performance approaching...

Steve

copo9566aa
10-01-2002, 05:30 PM
Other info.(C.C Jan 71)
The conversion's author, James Zeleny of Dick Harrell
Performance,had constructed a replacement cross-member from
1-inch square thickwall tubing.