PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Chevelle SS 454 COPO wagon

copo9566aa
09-18-2002, 10:49 PM
73WagonSS454 (http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/9/5/2095895.htm)

JoeC
09-18-2002, 11:35 PM
I don't know much about the 1973 Chevelle but I believe the SS 454 was a RPO not a COPO. They show a build sheet with "Spec Paint/COPO" which may mean that just the special paint was done using the COPO process. It would be interesting to see what the trim tag has in the paint code field.

COPO PETE
09-19-2002, 10:30 AM
I agree. The paint is the only thing COPO about this car. It certainly gets the "sleeper of the week award" though!
Peter

copo9566aa
09-19-2002, 01:49 PM
I agree.and this is not realy my favorite models/year for a Chevelle. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif
I would have just liked to see the complete buildheet for the S/P codes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

SS427
09-19-2002, 04:56 PM
Being this is the only year for the SS wagon makes it pretty rare but $29,500? Ouch! One more time, if he can get it, more power to him.

I too would like to see the rest of the build sheet.

robber6910
09-19-2002, 08:59 PM
I sent the guy who's selling the car an email about his claim it is a COPO car. This was his reply: I have had several "experts" look at the car and they all state that whether it be motor-trans-color or whatever the Central Office Production Order (COPO) is still a COPO car if it is on the build sheet!!! COPO was not just a motor option!!! This car was sold new in Cincinatti,Ohio--went to Oklahoma--then to California---where I purchased it!

Does this mean any car with a COPO option can be claimed as a documented COPO car?????

JoeC
09-19-2002, 10:27 PM
There is a big difference in a HI Performance COPO and COPO used for a paint job, a taxi, or telephone CO truck. The HI PO COPOs were built for racing.

copo9566aa
09-19-2002, 11:17 PM
Just look on the 1973 Chevelle wagon registry.

Registry (http://chevellesswagon.noneto.com/)

Unreal
09-20-2002, 01:23 AM
All cars built through the Central Office Production Order system were "specials." Since the Supercars were built that way, the hobby has adopted the term COPO for these "specials." All the taxis, police cars, etc. are not COPOs under the convention of the hobby!

robber6910
09-20-2002, 02:14 AM
Does this mean that big ugly boat is considered a COPO? If not, someone needs to set the record straight with this guy.

Kurt S
09-20-2002, 04:10 AM
There's no copyright on the term COPO, it doesn't have to be hi-po. Lot of special orders out there that were COPOs (mainly fleet, police, and taxi). True, that's not the use of the term that everyone here is used to (and uneducated people may be misled by the usage), but I'd have to say it is correct. What else would you call it?

BTW, I'm surprised that a special paint is listed as a COPO on the build sheet though.

robber6910
09-20-2002, 05:48 AM
Everyone get ready for COPOmania to start. If this is public knowledge, you'll have every Tom, Dick, and Harry coming out with a COPO something on their cars.

Unreal
09-20-2002, 12:02 PM
I doubt that Central Office processed non-conforming cars all day long. I doubt they called them COPOs. Taxi drivers drove them all day long. I doubt they called them COPOs. Even guys who were fortunate enough to purchase one of the super cars, did not call them COPOs.
It wasn't until the muscle car hobby discovered the Supercars that they coined the term COPO to describe them. The term is meant to relate to the Supercars ordered through the Central Office, not any vehicle ordered through the Central Office.

At last year's Reunion, there was an early 70's Z/28 with a special spoiler, which was spec'ed through the COPO system. It was allowed to park with the Supercars, I don't condsider that a Supercar. There was also a 70 LS6 convertible. It had to wait outside until all supercars were parked, and then it was allowed inside, but parked well away from the pack of supercars.

Just my opinion, but I consider an LS6 to be more of a supercar than a Z/28 with a unique spoiler.

I'm not throwing darts at the Z/28, it is a very nice car. But my point is that a special spoiler does not, in my opinion, make it a COPO.

And back to the original topic of this thread....I doubt many would consider a special paint station wagon a COPO.

robber6910
09-20-2002, 01:24 PM
The only reason why this guy wants $29,500 is because of the special COPO paint code. Though this car is rare, it's ugly as hell. No wonder no wanted it new back in '73.

Stefano
09-20-2002, 01:34 PM
The COPO acronym was readily used by the factory.

Both Build Sheets and Broadcast sheets show 'COPO' to designate some special/fleet order equipment.

I would like to Know what term(s) Jim Mattison and his colleagues used to refer to the Super Cars as they were being built?

copo9566aa
09-20-2002, 05:22 PM
Just other info about this wagon.
ChevyTalk (http://www.chevytalk.org/forums/Forum53/HTML/000918.html)

robber6910
09-20-2002, 08:24 PM
Good looking out copo. It appears the engine and tranny on this boat doesn't match. I would have doubts about the "build sheet" this guy has as well.

BBIGG BLOCK 396
09-21-2002, 05:12 AM
Why in the #$%& would anyone give 29,500.00 for this car when you can pick up a nice camaro or chevelle for that kind of bucks.It may say copo on the build sheet but like other members I have to agree it is not in the same catagory or definition as copo is used on this site.Grant you if all is original and all factory it is a rare car!! BUT I SURE AS ^%&&* WOULD NOT HAVE IT AND I BET THERE IS NO ONE ELSE ON THIS SITE WOULD HAVE IT EITHER!!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-23-2002, 12:48 PM
So, exactly how do you feel about this car BBIGG? I'm not sure I understand. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif