PDA

View Full Version : Motion Book In The Works

COPO
09-24-2002, 01:23 AM
Was reading an article by Marty Schorr in this month's "Vette" magazine about some of the corvettes Joel Rosen built. The article states that Marty is working on a book covering Motion's golden years. (Potential guest speaker at 2003 S/C Reunion???) email is [email protected]

tom406
09-24-2002, 03:21 AM
That's great news. Marty was definately "there" when it all happened, and is a good writer to boot. He has some great photo archives as well. The other guy who would be useful would be Joe Oldham (I think?), he was an editor for CARS and ordered a black Phase III '69 for his daily driver back then. I think he writes for Popular Mechanics now (feel free to correct me if I'm off here...)

COPO
09-24-2002, 03:02 PM
I sent an email to Marty Schorr to get more details about the Motion book. I received a quick reply and Marty stated he was in the early stages of gathering material for the book, and would keep me informed of progress. Should be an interesting read.

On a related topic, the article in Vette magazine stated that none of the Motion cars started life as COPO's. I asked Marty about the '69 Phase III Camaro shown on pages 39 and 41 in the November '69 issue of Hi-Perf. CARS magazine that has all the makings of a COPO as it has a silver grille, blue bowtie, and no "SS" badging on the fenders. Marty was going to check w/Joel Rosen to see if he recalled this camaro. I'll post his response if I hear anything.

sixtiesmuscle
09-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Charlie, is there anything in the new "Vette" about the red Motion Phase III Can Am Spyder?

COPO
09-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Nothing about the Spyder. The article mainly covered the 69 Phase III GT's and gave some background on Motion. Next month there is supposed to be another article about additional Motion corvettes. It's a good read for any Motion enthusiast.

JoeC
09-24-2002, 03:33 PM
A while back Marty did a nice article in Vette Mag on the Ko-Motion L88 drag car that won a national title. Motion ran the car after the owner was killed in Viet Nam. The car was then put in a garage and sat until last year when it changed hands. Still has shoe polish marks on windshield from last race. Marty used some pictures that he had taken in the 60s.

JoeC
09-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the tip. I found the Vette mag Nov 2002 last night. Great article.
On the COPO in November '69 issue of Hi-Perf. CARS magazine. It does look like a 427 COPO. It does not say the car was purchased at Baldwin and does not have the Motion emblems on the fenders. Maybe he brought the car to Motion for the stinger hood and OD install? The back tires had already been replaced but we can only guess unless Joel remembers something.

JoeC
09-26-2002, 10:09 PM
Mike - the Vette Mag article will be continued next month so maybe he will mention the Spyder then.

Charlie (COPO)- in the picture of the 67 Motion Camaro sitting in front of the Baldwin Chevy show room- did you see what is in the back seat of the Camaro? I thought that was funny.

COPO
09-27-2002, 01:02 AM
Joe C, I can't make out exactly what it is. At first glance I thought it was a set of slicks, but after staring at the picture, I really can't tell. What do you think??

JoeC
09-27-2002, 02:19 AM
It looks like a drag slick on a chrome wheel. Maybe the other was in the trunk. I have heard that some people would buy a set of slicks with a Motion car and go straight to the drag strip. One guy did this and set the track record for his class at his local drag strip.